Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi hats 13" or 14"?

User Info Menu

Default Hi hats 13" or 14"?

Im updating my hi hats on my Leedy 5 peice because... well, they really do sound like paint tin lids,

Im just debating weather 13"s or 14"s, so whats your choice's and why?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hi hats 13" or 14"?

It's all with preference and what style of music you are doing. Obliviously the smaller hats are gonna be brighter and have less cut than a bigger set of hats. Even the 13" K/Z hats have a distinct bright "chick" to them and i would have figured them to be dark sounding. I would try different sets of both sizes and decide what suits you best. I own both but I prefer the 14's because of the style of music I'm playing. 13's record great though
    | PORK PIE CUSTOM DRUMS | SABIAN CYMBALS | DW 9000 HARDWARE/PEDALS | EVANS DRUMHEADS | VIC FIRTH STICKS | WOODSHED KICK HEADS |

User Info Menu

14's seem to be what many drummers use. I have a pair of 12 inch paiste and two sets of 14 inch Sabaines. I am looking to get a pair of 13" Zildjian K's. That will be it for me. I think 13" hi hats are fine for me. Ok for jazz, latin, which is what I am currently playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by big-wedge View Post
    Im updating my hi hats on my Leedy 5 peice because... well, they really do sound like paint tin lids,

Im just debating weather 13"s or 14"s, so whats your choice's and why?
    I had the opportunity to set my kit with both 13" HHX modified Evolution vented hats and a set of 14" AAX fast hats side-by-side to hear a direct comparison. The 13" HHX were set up with a DW X-hat boom arm (DWSM782) and the 14" hats were set up on a Pearl 2000H hihat stand.

#1- The 13" diameter made for a very 'fast' rebound and feel. I use ProMark 5A nylon tipped sticks and the action from the 13" hats was awesome. The "chick" sound is crisp and the wash from slightly opened hats was loud and cutting. Tighten down on the hihat pedal and the hats are tight and well defined.

#2- 14" diameter makes for a heavier feel compared to the 13" hats. Not as much rebound or action compared to the 13" hats. The "chick" sound is thicker and the wash can sound 'clangy' at times. 1/4 note hihat pedal strokes feels a bit heavier.

Conclusion:

I found that the most significant difference between the 13" and 14" diameter is the 13" hats had faster rebound and action. After playing the 13" hats for an extended amount of time, switching back to the 14" felt slow and heavy but the 14" had louder stage volume.
    Last edited by late8; 11-08-2012 at 04:47 PM.

User Info Menu

hmm... ok, first up I think I'll buy a pair of 13's then next year buy a pair of 14's and another stand, just to cover my mood on the day,

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by big-wedge View Post
    hmm... ok, first up I think I'll buy a pair of 13's then next year buy a pair of 14's and another stand, just to cover my mood on the day,

cheers
    That's a great idea!! I may resort to permanently setting up my kit with both hats. Like you, I can choose between the two depending on the 'mood' of the day.

I achieved the use of both hats by mounting the DW x-hat boom arm to a cymbal stand that was linked up with the hihat stand via Gibraltar horizontal rack pipe:

cheers to you too! Oh yeah...welcome to DrumChat!
    Last edited by late8; 11-08-2012 at 05:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Like others have said. I like the brighter chick and livelier action afforded by 13" hats. I have a pair of 14",s on my right hand side as closed hats.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I think it's the styles of music I play, but I have never liked the sound of 13" hats. Too "small" I guess. Then again, I'm using two 20" crashes and a 22" ride so that probably says something about my preferences in cymbals
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

14" are my standard hats, but I have a set of 13"s for brighter stuff and for carrying around (Anything to make what I'm carrying around lighter is good). I want a set of legit 15"s at some point.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Iv done a little you tube reserch and I think 13"s will be fine for me since Im just getting back into drumming after 25+ year absence, Im finding the old dog new tricks thing happening, still... the wife and kids are suprised

User Info Menu

Well said, Rich! I love 13" and I really don't care for the feel of 14" hats. I have 2 pairs of 13" (Sabian Paragon and Zildjian A Custom Mastersound) and 1 pair of 14" (Sabian XS20).

User Info Menu

13" = tighter stick response, brighter sound

14" = pretty good stick response, more wash and a little darker

Obviously this is not always the case, because if you are comparing 13" k's to 14" paiste alphas, the alpha line is designed to be bright so those 14"s will be brighter

I like big washy hats personally. I use 14" tosco mediums (italian b20 cymbals), on occasion you'll find that I use my 16" crashes as hats. (16" xs20 medium on bottom, 16" vintage zildjian A thin on top)
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I use both sizes actually. On my left I'll use either Zildjian 13" New Beat hats, or Sabian 13" AA Fusion hats. On the right, since I like the right side hats a little deeper/darker, either Sabian 13" HHX Groove hats, or Sabian XS20 14" hats.

User Info Menu

the biggest difference i can really tell is the hats are 1" further away from you ..mass changes the dynamics more than the size

User Info Menu

I use 10, 12, 13. 14 all depending on mood

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've heard some really nice hats in both 13 and 14. The only real way to tell any difference is to compare the exact same model (e.g., K Custom Dark) in both sizes. Trying to compare different models (K Custom vs. A Custom) of different sizes is going to be apples and oranges.

I use 13" K/Z and they're louder than some of the 14" hats of other lines.

Although I love the K/Z set, I've thought about buying an alternate bottom to replace the Z, just for a different sound once in a while. Maybe another K or an A Custom.

User Info Menu

im starting to think 15" hats are a great idea now

User Info Menu

I have two sets of 14" hats. Sabian AAX Stage hats and AA medium hats. The AA's sounds darker and I use them as my x-hats. I really love the sound of the Stage Hats. They cut through anything and of all the hats I've tried in the last year or so, they sound the best.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

I started with 14" when I was a beginner, but for a long time now my main hi-hats have been 13", with a variety of Paiste models. My faves have been 13" Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors for my main hi-hat and 13" Paiste Signature Dark Crisps for my secondary hi-hats on the right (either on an x-hat holder or on a DW cable hi-hat). But of late I've been playing 14" hi-hats again, this time being a pair of Paiste 2000 Heavy Hi-Hats.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

the biggest difference i can really tell is the hats are 1" further away from you ..mass changes the dynamics more than the size
    Actually, the hats are only 1/2" further away. The other 1/2" is on the other side of the hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk11 View Post
    Actually, the hats are only 1/2" further away. The other 1/2" is on the other side of the hats.
    smarty pants

User Info Menu

I am a big fan of 13" hats. That being said, there are specific limitations. I think they are great for praise and gospel, funk, drum and bass and even metal, but if I was doing jazz ensemble work, or blues, I would go with something bigger. Maybe even 17". Steve Jordan plays a wicked set.

User Info Menu

I like 13s and 14s. I will never go bigger than 14s. I use the 13s to record and 14s for live shows.

I use 13 A Custom Mastersound to record. They sound pretty good. Quick, light, and crisp. And I just picked up some 14" A Zildjian Mastersound Hi-Hats the other day. I will be using these to play live.

The 14s project a little louder, cut more, but keep that solid chick of the ruffled bottom, not as fast response, but decent, and a tad darker than the A Customs.
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Toms: 8x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16 [Evans G2 Coated/Evans Clear Genera Resonant/G1]
    Kick: 18x20 [Evans EMAD2 White/EQ3 Coated White + Kickport]
    Pure Maple Standard Shells
    Chrome Hardware

Snare: 6x13 DW Edge Snare - Tiger Oyster - Chrome Hardware
    Aux: 5x12 Pork Pie Little Squealer
    RotoToms: 6 - 8 - 10 - Remo Pinstripe Clear
    Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Crikey! you guys have some wicked gear..

anyways my 13" paiste hats arrived while I was away working, I realy like the sound, they are like 10,000 times an improvment on the standard junk that came with my little kit.

Im on the lookout for a Paiste 802 16" crash now.... anyone know of one for sale? pm me.

my little hobby kit is coming along nicly...

Larrysperf Guest

Ive tried a lot of hats but never seem to like any as much as my 15" big beats. And that is coming from a Sabian AAX dye hard. But they go really well with all my cymbals. Hope this helps a little. But we can all tell you what we use but you have to try some sets and go with what you like.