Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An ABSOLUTE beginner!

User Info Menu

Default An ABSOLUTE beginner!

Right, so, forgive me if this has all be done before. But I am an absolute beginner when it comes to recording my drums. I have zero technical knowledge.

So... I want to mic up my kit, and record onto my MacBook Pro. I'm only a beginner, so I don't want to spend megabucks. But at the same time I want to be able to produce a decent sound.

So...

Mics - I'll need a set of these. Any good quality ones that won't break the bank?

Software - I'll need a programme on my MacBook to record onto. I have GarageBand. Will this do the job?

Something to connect the mics to the MacBook - I'm aware my MacBook has limited inputs. What do I need to get the Mics to talk to the Mac?

Anything else I'll need?

Thanks in advance

Adam
    A scouse drummer who isn't Ringo.

User Info Menu

Default Re: An ABSOLUTE beginner!

Quote Originally Posted by redandwhitead View Post
    Right, so, forgive me if this has all be done before. But I am an absolute beginner when it comes to recording my drums. I have zero technical knowledge.
    Anything else I'll need?

Thanks in advance

Adam
    I Dont know what the bank is so to speak so Im not sure how much will break it so I would look at a few different options.

Cheap Mics - Cad makes a 7pc mic kit that comes with kick, snare, 3 toms and 2 overhead mics for $199 at most places. They are not the best but I have used them and they will definitely do the trick. If you want to spend more money for quality mics Sennheiser e604's are about $100 a piece and are great mics. But you will still need a kick mic and overheads. Audix also makes some amazing hi end mics.

Software - Garageband will do the trick and its already on your computer. If you want to spend some money for software Logic Pro is an industry standard along with pro tools. But those cost a pretty penny.

Interface - Presonus makes some of the best USB interfaces out there for recording with a laptop for $119 (Audiobox 2x2). You will need to get a small snake to run from the interface for your mic channels. Also Motu makes a nice 6x6 interface but its dang near $400. You could also use a mixer to run all your channels too and skip the snake all together. But it is a more expensive route.

So if your looking to buy new you will probably need to set a budget around $500 and thats doing it pretty dang cheap. I would hit up come of the music stores/craigslist/ebay for used stuff and could probably find most of it at a reasonable price.

Hope this gives you an idea of where to start.
    Good Luck!
    | PORK PIE CUSTOM DRUMS | SABIAN CYMBALS | DW 9000 HARDWARE/PEDALS | EVANS DRUMHEADS | VIC FIRTH STICKS | WOODSHED KICK HEADS |

User Info Menu

Thanks for the hints man, that's a really good starting point!

Possibly a dumb question - if I get 7 mics, how would they all plug into a 2x2 interface?

User Info Menu

Please read existing threads

And what ever you do don't buy 7 mics

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    Please read existing threads

And what ever you do don't buy 7 mics
    Maybe you could point out some of the existing threads to the new member. He is new and has legitimate questions. Have you seen how many threads there are on this forum? We're here to help.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

really don't have the patience to link every second thread in recording drums forum

you honestly only need two over head mics (small condensers) and a 2 input i/o...but most important you need half decent headphones or speakers to actually know whats going on

make it easy on your self ..you wont get a good recording with 7 cheap mic's its just the reality ..

User Info Menu

As itchie said. Get a few GOOD mics, as 2 Good mics will outrecord 7 crappy mics.

Interface. I'd say get 2 or more inputs, usb or firewire will do for this.

Garageband is fine to learn on. I learned using it and moved on to Reaper later.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Drum recording...Hmmm. Consider the analogy of a roller coaster ride. Hanging back at first, checking the action of the ride from a distance maybe even getting into the waiting line where clickety clacks and screams are are more apparent as you continue moving forward. Each loading/ unloading coupled with the ever approaching anticipation of being " next " might make you feel a bit nervous and confident at the same time. O.K., it's your turn. Lock youself in and examine the environment for any safety breaches. Then wait. ( It's all you can do while all the other non-musicians board ) Along comes Mr. Safety himself to ensure...well you know the routine. Then, wait some more. A new noise is heard, the cars jerk a little and instantly your grip tightens. Then, ever so slowly moving forward and up, up, up. Reality reveals not everything is in your control. Almost at the tracks apex now, the car slows and starts slipping backward. This is NOT GOOD ! Then a hard jerk suddenly grabs on pulls you over the top. The rest of the ride is a continuous repetitive process of the afore mentioned. ...as will be your recording endeavours.
    Even something as simple as making apple pie yields a multitude of end results. My point is this site contains soooo much information about what you want to know that you'll drive youself crazy reading it all. However, it's there for you anyway.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Well tuned drums+ZoomH4=easy/good sounding recordings.

User Info Menu

He asked for a cheap alternative. I gave a cheap alternative. I have used those mics and they are fine. No they wont touch my audix D series mics but my audix mic pack was $1000 too. Its all in what you are trying to accomplish. I would say if you have a kit that is beginner to intermediate (which I would assume) its not gonna make a difference what you mic it with. The drums and the room have a lot to do with a recording. Redneck has it right. I have heard a lot of drums sound decent with a handheld camera and a good tuning.
    Last edited by localdrummerweb; 11-10-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    | PORK PIE CUSTOM DRUMS | SABIAN CYMBALS | DW 9000 HARDWARE/PEDALS | EVANS DRUMHEADS | VIC FIRTH STICKS | WOODSHED KICK HEADS |

User Info Menu

Thanks for the hints man, that's a really good starting point!

Possibly a dumb question - if I get 7 mics, how would they all plug into a 2x2 interface?
    No problem man. To do the 7 mics you would need the snake I mentioned. Plug all your mics into the snake and then the snake to interface.

You can do what the others mentioned as well and skip the snake. But two good mics are gonna cost you just as much as the mic pack and I dont know what you are working with drum wise but I would assume the end result will be about the same sound quality wise.

User Info Menu

more mics means more headaches and more cost (cables,interface,learning how to mix them all, stands ..etc)...its just the deal the more mics you have the more other things you need to have and that's not a easy way to learn how to record ....wake up and smell the cheese, you can pick up a matched paired of behringer condenser mics for under $80.. and that's all you need

please read other threads and learn from mistakes other members have made
    Last edited by itchie; 11-10-2012 at 08:07 PM.

User Info Menu

You can get a 7pc CAD set for about $200 on ebay, including xlr cables. I'd suggest the Tascam US-1800 usb interface ($300 approx). Has a total of 16 inputs, so you can use all your mics, and then some.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    You can get a 7pc CAD set for about $200 on ebay, including xlr cables. I'd suggest the Tascam US-1800 usb interface ($300 approx). Has a total of 16 inputs, so you can use all your mics, and then some.
    That idea is not popular in here lol. I suggested something similar but it got shot down by the experts. But then again I'm actually in the music business doing it for a living and not working at guitar center so what do I know anyway.

User Info Menu

why are you suggesting 7 mic packs to a complete beginner ???

do you not understand the terms beginner and recording on a budget ?

it does not mean find the cheapest mics you can find

User Info Menu

Blimey, well Ive kicked off a right to do here! :s

A bit more about my kit... I've just got a new Gretsch Catalina Rock kit, so a good solid mid-range set up.

And a bit more about me... I actually want the headaches! The aim here isn't for me to make amazing recordings. It's to learn how to record, how to mix, how to find my way around the software.

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with my recommendation then, if it's within your budget. I knew nothing about recording when I got my mics, but it doesn't take very long to figure out. The Tascam comes with multitrack software included, so it's a pretty good deal. I'll be getting one shortly. The reviews on it are pretty good. Hard to beat for the price.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

A bit more about my kit... I've just got a new Gretsch Catalina Rock kit, so a good solid mid-range set up.

And a bit more about me... I actually want the headaches! The aim here isn't for me to make amazing recordings. It's to learn how to record, how to mix, how to find my way around the software.
    Well then I would stick to what me and Digital said. CAD is the cheapest mic pack out there as far as I know. If you have the cash to spend I would recommend a better mic pack but the CADs will be fine to learn with. Grab the mixer and have at it. Good luck with everything.

User Info Menu

you can do what ever you like in the end of the day but why bother starting a thread if you don't want advice from people that have been doing home recording . You can take my advice or not up to you

dont buy a mixing desk its a waste of money buy a i/o thats all you need

dont buy a cheapo mic pack ...it wont sound better than a matched condenser pair

i have said this is in at least a dozen other threads and multiple working pros will back me up on this

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    you can do what ever you like in the end of the day but why bother starting a thread if you don't want advice from people that have been doing home recording . You can take my advice or not up to you

dont buy a mixing desk its a waste of money buy a i/o thats all you need

dont buy a cheapo mic pack ...it wont sound better than a matched condenser pair

i have said this is in at least a dozen other threads and multiple working pros will back me up on this
    I agree with itchie.

Keep it simple. My opinion is to get two nice condensers and a small interface. You can find a Tascam US144 (or a US122L usually on eBay for even cheaper, thats what I used before) which has 2 XLR inputs. 2 good boom stands, 2 XLR cables, and your ready to start recording some good drum tracks.

But in the end, it's all your up to you what you decide.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

I recently got my hands on a Zoom Q3HD video camera. It has the same Audio quality as the Zoom H4N that Northern Redneck suggested. The thing is absolutely spectacular, don't overlook it.

User Info Menu

Heres the deal.

You spend $200 on crap, and you will have to replace it. You won't learn how to record by learning with 7 mics. Just like when you first learn the kit you dont learn on a 7 piece, in fact a 2 piece kit is all you need to learn, because the guy with the kick and snare can be better than the guy with 7 pieces if he knows what he is doing.

Buying 2 condensers means you will learn how to use 2 condensers optimally. Which means you actually learn BETTER. Then once you can do that add in other mics.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

i'll jump in and also say that buying a good pair of condenser mics to start is the way to go... upgrade from that when you can. it's also a good way to get your feet wet if you're just starting out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by truckerdrummer View Post
    i'll jump in and also say that buying a good pair of condenser mics to start is the way to go... upgrade from that when you can. it's also a good way to get your feet wet if you're just starting out.
    The drums on Kashmir were recorded with only 2 well placed condensors.

User Info Menu

you will find most recordings are only reinforced by closed mics and 80% of what you hear is over heads and room mics