Thread: hi-hat

User Info Menu

Default hi-hat

im not sure how to explain my problem but ill try.

my hi-hat stand is top of the line so im sure this problem can be fixed. if I play for about a half hour on the hi hat with it fairly loose the screw that holds the hats together loosens, and then the time it takes for the 2 hats to open is delayed when i take the foot of the pedal because the screw is loosening, and it doesn't have a counter screw on it. sorry thats the best way of explaining it. how can I fix this problem?

User Info Menu

i had that same problem until i realized i need to put some of the fuzz or whatever between the washer and the cymbal and it just stayed on there and is working fine now

User Info Menu

mmm mabye i do need a felt between them, ill give u guys a picture and tell me if i need one
    top of hi hat

under neither the top hat

User Info Menu

coke can, by on top of the hihat you mean under neither those nuts you see on my first picture?

User Info Menu

wow you need to put that felt there really bad or else it will start scratching the top of your cymbal do it ASAP

User Info Menu

CC's right Lafirin. There should always be felt between the cymbals and the nuts that hold them in place. Two reasons: first, the felt will protect your cymbals from wear that will happen whenever metal is on metal (that's why there are cymbal sleeves), and second, the felt will allow for more free movement of your cymbals, thereby improving the vibration/sound. It looks to me like you have the nuts, on the top of the hi-hat, tightened down pretty tight, so without a felt, you'll choke the cymbal, and possibly damage the cymbal over time.

Here's a good link that can show you the set up:

http://www.pearldrum.com/education/howto/how0108.html
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

felt under those nuts is not propper talk here in drumchat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    CC's right Lafirin. There should always be felt between the cymbals and the nuts that hold them in place. Two reasons: first, the felt will protect your cymbals from wear that will happen whenever metal is on metal (that's why there are cymbal sleeves), and second, the felt will allow for more free movement of your cymbals, thereby improving the vibration/sound. It looks to me like you have the nuts, on the top of the hi-hat, tightened down pretty tight, so without a felt, you'll choke the cymbal, and possibly damage the cymbal over time.

Here's a good link that can show you the set up:

http://www.pearldrum.com/education/howto/how0108.html
    NOOOOOOOOO okok, last night as i was taking the picture i noticed how dumb i was, so i took the felt that was under neither the hi-hat because there was 2 for some weird reason and took it and put it under the nuts on the top of my hat, sorry funk . im glad i relized that now. im kinda mad that the store i bought it from had no felt under neither those nuts.

User Info Menu

thanks so much PB for those pictures, iv done it right. sorry double post again, i gotta stop that..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    ROFLOL I knew when I wrote it I wouldn't get away without comment! Thanks for the laugh, Funky!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i have 2 teenage boys that often resemble beavis and butthead. i dont know if i wore on them or vice versa.

User Info Menu

LOL!

User Info Menu

i have 2 teenage boys that often resemble beavis and butthead. i dont know if i wore on them or vice versa.
    Haha me and my mate are bevis and butthead :P Someone i met on the weekend told us that. We talk about random stuff then laugh just like them :P

Ill make a recording one day :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters