Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sabian El Sabor 20" ride {REVIEW}

User Info Menu

Default Sabian El Sabor 20" ride {REVIEW}

As you guys know...I snagged a rich deal on an El Sabor ride a while back. I was trying to line up a meeting with the seller as he's semi-local to me. Well, it just wasn't meant to be. He ended up shipping it Friday and it was on my doorstep Saturday.

This sucker is a diamond. I was surprised at how thin it is. The bell on this is excellent...which is why I wanted it. Nice big un-lathed bell. The a touch of wash when playing the bow, but still good stick definition. It's thin enough you can lay into it and crash it. It's got a big roar when crashing. I won't crash it henceforth, but wanted to give it a shot.

Compared to my normal gigging ride: 20" AA rock ride. The El Sabor is darker and not as loud to my ear. The rock ride is a fantastic ride. It's bright and cutting. The El Sabor is great but I haven't used it in a band setting yet.

The real test will be whether it can cut through a wail of 7 string guitar and 5 string bass guitars in the band. We'll see tomorrow...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian El Sabor 20" ride {REVIEW}

looks sweet, good review, let us know how it does against the band.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Congrats! I absolutely LOVE the El Sabor line, and always have my eye out for them on the local CL and drum shops.

User Info Menu

Good stuff man! Let us know how it cuts with the band, hopefully it will do the job.
    John W. ("J-Dub")
    My Band: www.facebook.com/sundaybrave
    www.youtube.com/user/durangodude01nj

6pc Tama SCM Platinum Fade
    6pc Tama SCM EFX Blue Silk (shells signed by Jason Bittner)
    5pc Tama B/B White Silk
    5pc Tama B/B Egyptian Night Burst
    7pc Tama SCP Birch Cherry veneer
    5pc Tama Silverstar Satin Cherry Burst
    6pc Tama classic Superstar Cherry Wine

User Info Menu

Will do, practice tomorrow. I plan on taking it along.

User Info Menu

I've heard that's a nice cymbal Marko. I love ride cymbals of all types and thought about getting this one. I'm also interested in hearing how it sounds.
    DW Collectors
    Twisted Blue Oyster
    Toms: 8x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16 [Evans G2 Coated/Evans Clear Genera Resonant/G1]
    Kick: 18x20 [Evans EMAD2 White/EQ3 Coated White + Kickport]
    Pure Maple Standard Shells
    Chrome Hardware

Snare: 6x13 DW Edge Snare - Tiger Oyster - Chrome Hardware
    Aux: 5x12 Pork Pie Little Squealer
    RotoToms: 6 - 8 - 10 - Remo Pinstripe Clear
    Evans & Remo Heads

Cymbals
    Zildjian A Custom
    Zildjian A Series
    Zildjian EFX
    Zildjian K & K Custom
    Sabian Paragon

User Info Menu

Well??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Well??
    Well. It's not gonna cut it. Not in a loud heavy metal band. The volume isn't there, probably b/c it's a relatively thin ride cymbal. I've really got to lay into it to get enough volume from it. And I really don't want to hit it as hard as I need to. It sounds great but a heavy metal setting just isn't it's home.

Bottom line is that there isn't enough stick definition for what we do. We aren't progressive enough or have enough dynamics for the El Sabor. Maybe certain passages could be recorded with it during certain songs but live it's not going to work.

Too bad. It's really a lovely cymbal. I'll keep it for the time being. Might sell it and snag a RBDR. But for now I'll keep practicing with my A Custom ping and gig with my AA rock ride.

User Info Menu

Too bad marko. Your review of it made it sound like a great Ride. Hey, maybe you can use the Ride, and convince the band to go in a new direction.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Too bad marko. Your review of it made it sound like a great Ride. Hey, maybe you can use the Ride, and convince the band to go in a new direction.
    Well...the band's days are numbered. LOL. No big deal. It's a great ride, but not made for this kind of heavy loud setting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Well. It's not gonna cut it. Not in a loud heavy metal band. The volume isn't there, probably b/c it's a relatively thin ride cymbal. I've really got to lay into it to get enough volume from it. And I really don't want to hit it as hard as I need to. It sounds great but a heavy metal setting just isn't it's home.

Bottom line is that there isn't enough stick definition for what we do. We aren't progressive enough or have enough dynamics for the El Sabor. Maybe certain passages could be recorded with it during certain songs but live it's not going to work.

Too bad. It's really a lovely cymbal. I'll keep it for the time being. Might sell it and snag a RBDR. But for now I'll keep practicing with my A Custom ping and gig with my AA rock ride.
    Thanks for the review. I'm sure this will help somebody down the line to save some time and effort if they find themselves in a similar situation. Hey...do you want to borrow my 24" Rude Eclipse Mega Power Ride for the time being??? It def has the stick definition...maybe make the move over to Paiste, a cymbal company with the metal head in mind??

Last edited by late8; 11-14-2012 at 12:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the review. I'm sure this will help somebody down the line to save some time and effort if they find themselves in a similar situation. Hey...do you want to borrow my 24" Rude Eclipse Mega Power Ride for the time being??? It def has the stick definition...maybe make the move over to Paiste, a cymbal company with the metal head in mind??

I love big bell rides, that's for sure. The AA rock ride gets the job done with ease. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. But I fell in love with the El Sabor when I heard it. I had to have one. It's tremendous. It's darker than maybe you'd think an AA would be and it's complex. Really a beautiful ride cymbal with great crashing capabilities.

User Info Menu

So I guess "no" huh?

User Info Menu

So I guess "no" huh?
    If I was closer I'd take you up on it.

User Info Menu

^Ups??

User Info Menu

^Ups??
    Nah, I appreciate the offer Rich, but you don't need to do that.

User Info Menu

Nah, I appreciate the offer Rich, but you don't need to do that.
    Why?? afraid you'll like it sooooo much you'll end up switching to Paiste???

User Info Menu

Why?? afraid you'll like it sooooo much you'll end up switching to Paiste???
    HA! You antagonizer!

User Info Menu

HA! You antagonizer!
    PM'd

User Info Menu

I kinda figured you'd have that result but was hoping for the best. Still, can't go wrong with the Sabian Rock Ride!
    John W. ("J-Dub")
    My Band: www.facebook.com/sundaybrave
    www.youtube.com/user/durangodude01nj

6pc Tama SCM Platinum Fade
    6pc Tama SCM EFX Blue Silk (shells signed by Jason Bittner)
    5pc Tama B/B White Silk
    5pc Tama B/B Egyptian Night Burst
    7pc Tama SCP Birch Cherry veneer
    5pc Tama Silverstar Satin Cherry Burst
    6pc Tama classic Superstar Cherry Wine

User Info Menu

Nice Marko!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TamadudeNJ View Post
    I kinda figured you'd have that result but was hoping for the best. Still, can't go wrong with the Sabian Rock Ride!
    I doubt I'll ever be in another, let alone a non-metal, band but maybe I'll hang on to it just in case.

User Info Menu

Well well well, a little blast from the past!

I'm looking to sell my El Sabor once I get a 21" Sweet. It looks a bit of a mess, but the condition in terms of things that matter (keyhole, scratches, ect) it's perfectly ok. I think I bought it used in the US for like 150. What should I sell it for here?

One line of reasoning is to even go higher as the cymbal isn't available anymore and probably there aren't many here. Also, the big three's cymbals here are about 30% more expensive. Another line of thinking says don't get greedy, plus nobody here knows the cymbal...

So DC, especially Marko, what would you do?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Well well well, a little blast from the past!

I'm looking to sell my El Sabor once I get a 21" Sweet. It looks a bit of a mess, but the condition in terms of things that matter (keyhole, scratches, ect) it's perfectly ok. I think I bought it used in the US for like 150. What should I sell it for here?

One line of reasoning is to even go higher as the cymbal isn't available anymore and probably there aren't many here. Also, the big three's cymbals here are about 30% more expensive. Another line of thinking says don't get greedy, plus nobody here knows the cymbal...

So DC, especially Marko, what would you do?
    I don't know but I want the El Sabor back! haha. I miss it. I wish I hadn't sold it.

User Info Menu

I have both the 20" and 22" El Sabor Rides (and the 18" and 13" Crashes) - I love them. Awesome cymbals.

Stu