Thread: Toms

User Info Menu

Default Toms

Anything sacrilegious about using a mount tom as a floor tom? namely a twelve.

set up would then be an 8, 10, 12, 16

User Info Menu

Default Re: Toms

You can do anything that you want to do. That's what makes it art!

Hey and I noticed you're new here. Welcome to our family!

User Info Menu

If you send an application the board or drummers association of drumming layouts and positions you may notersize your intent to move your 12" Tom , send with a money order and paper work including a drawing from your local layout engineer ..

Just kidding

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sweatydrooler View Post
    Anything sacrilegious about using a mount tom as a floor tom? namely a twelve.

set up would then be an 8, 10, 12, 16

You can set them anyway you want them, but I would suggest a 14" floor tom instead of the 16".

User Info Menu

i figured as much. Im mostly worried about the 8 being loud enough to take that role as my first principle tom. and thanks Tom for the welcome.

User Info Menu

Set it up 10,8,12,16 if you are worried you will play the 8 to much
    I would not worry about the volume if its miced up
    Why not use the 12 as a Floor Tom on the left hand side

User Info Menu

ill try that, but I already have two snares and I think that might be a stretch for my stubby cee lo arms

User Info Menu

Mate, I use a set up that has either a 14" rack as a floor tom, or sometimes a 13" & 14" as two floor toms, whilst the racks will be either a 10", a 10" & 12", sometimes 8", 10" & 12".....even did a set up once with 8" and 10" rack toms and 13" as the floor tom. Yes, I do sometimes use a full 16x16" floor tom....but once in a blue moon.

Like as Drummer said......that's what makes it art. Explore. Make it your set up, not someone elses.

Welcome to the Drumchat family by the way.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

This is exactly what I've been considering for my new kit, namely having the 10" & 12" as racks with the 13" as a hanging tom next to the 16".
    I also have a Meridian Maple 14" floor tom in Galaxy Burst (picked it up for next to nothing) which might go well with the kit too, & I thought about putting that to the left of my hats.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Really depends on your style of music, if an 8 is your high tom then I don't see using a 12 as a small floor tom being an issue. Personally I'd detest that setup, but that's me

User Info Menu

I see people use that setup sometimes, I see some people witll use an add on 8x7 tom as there hi tom, then a 10x8 as there next tom, then a 9x12 or 10x12 as there floor tom. I know the drummer for american idol, and the last drummer for american idol(who happen to be good friends with each other) switch there floor toms up. they use the bigger floor tom first and they place the smaller floor tom last.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

what ever set up makes you happy is the right set up. if its comfortable and sounds the way that you want it to sound, its perfect.... have fun and remember they are your drums ,you make the rules. dont be afraid to try new stuff.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

of course it's the players choice how the set up should be. I'm curious when the small tom revolution started. Seems like a lot of kits are being sold with small rack sizes these days.

welcome aboard, Itchie mentioned the money order you can pm me for the address. thx $80 usd
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Think of it like a piano. You could have your lowest drum start at middle C let's say, and ascend from there, Or start your highest tom at middle C and descend from there. There are no rules. If there were, then true bass drums would be 26" or larger. Drums come in all sizes.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Your drums, your set-up. Do what you want, how you want. I have never seen or heard of a rule book on how to configure a drum kit. It's a very individual and personal decision.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I agree with all the guys: Its your kit - set it up in whatever configuration you so desire - oh and "Got Pics"???? We love Pics of new members kits - Love to see pics of your "unique" set-up and Welcome to the friendliest drummers site on the internet~!!!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Or you could set up like David Robinson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV3kx...yer_detailpage

you are missed Benjamin.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I recently set up my 13 inch rack tom as a floor, right next to my 16 inch. I just have my 13 tuned low ( and dampened, stock head) and my 16 tuned high.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

VAT ? ?

MUST MOUNT ZE TOM ON ZE KICK DRUM!!!!!
    \

"The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

my giggin' kit will use a 13" tom as a floor, at least ultil i locate a mars pro floor.
    MAPEX MAFIA