Thread: Pearl Export vs TAMA Superstar

User Info Menu

Default Pearl Export vs TAMA Superstar

Hi guys, in Australia both these drum kits are relatively the same price, with the TAMA being about $100 more. I have been looking to buy a brand new export, but the man at the drum shop said whilst the exports are a good kit, the TAMA Superstar kits are much much better, and for the extra $100 that is is well worth it.

Is this true?

Thanks.

User Info Menu

is it the new maple export or discontinued poplar shell. either way the tama may be the better value. it is a birch/basswood combo and comes with strong die cast hoops. the hoops are almost enuff to be the selling point for me as pearls export uses thin 1.6mm flanged hoops.
    for same price you might be able to check out pearls new vision series, wich replaced the export. it is also a birch/basswood and comes in some nice laquor finishes, i like the new lug design with brass inserts. it also carries the new lifetime warranty on the shells. unfortunatly it comes with the same crappy hoops. if it at least came with 2.3 superhoops it would be near the top of my list for intermediate kits.

User Info Menu

ps. welcome to drumchat.

User Info Menu

Thanks! Well i havent seen that new model pearl down here yet at the stores.. Possibly because it may be way out of my price range down here..

User Info Menu

Are you a boxing fan? Your username sounds like a certain boxer i know...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    Are you a boxing fan? Your username sounds like a certain boxer i know...
    Lol. Yes i am a fan of Floyd Mayweather Jr.

User Info Menu

Cool. Im not a fan of his but hes gonna DESTROY Ricky Hatton.

Im not a fan of his style but hes probably the best pound for pound boxer in the world along with Manny Paqiao and Joe Calzaghe.

User Info Menu

The Vision is same price as the export... Or really simular?!
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Thanks guys.

Which is better from the TAMA Superstar and TAMA Rockstar, and what's the difference between them?

User Info Menu

I think its the superstar...... And my guess is the difference in where the hardwoods are grown and lugs etc all that kinda stuf. Just how there made in general.

Does anyone know about what i asked with the vision?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

superstar pwns for entry level kits. try to get an efx fusion if you can. those are some good drums. stick some remo ebony's or ambassadors on the toms and an emperor x head on the snare and a powerstroke 3 on the bass and you've got one hell of a kit.
    Ostinato is the way to go!