Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with burying the beater anyway?

User Info Menu

Default What's wrong with burying the beater anyway?

So my drum teachers in the past have always preached to never bury the beater into the head of the bass drum. That is, they always taught that you should let the bass drum beater rebound just like a stick. But then I recently watched videos of guys like Jojo Mayer and Eric Harland playing on various size bass drums, and guess what they were doing? That's right, they buried their beaters into their bass drums. So what's the big deal anyhow? Any ideas?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's wrong with burying the beater anyway?

Welcome to Drum Chat rthmjohn!

The idea of not burying the beater is to let the head resonate. Some prefer a resonant bass drum, so not burying the beater would important to someone who likes resonance. Some prefer a more thuddy sound from their bass drum, and in this case, burying the beater wouldn't be as much of an issue. The bottom line is that if you are burying the beater, and you are getting the sound that you want from your bass, then you have no worries. On the other hand, if you are burying the beater and you aren't getting the sound you want, then it just might be a problem.

Ok, now let's talk about speed on the bass pedal. If you get used to burying the beater, it will limit your speed on the pedal, because you are not working with the natural rebound of the beater. It is not much different than the speed issue on the snare, or the toms. At some point, to go faster, you will have to learn to work with the rebound, rather than against the rebound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

The idea of not burying the beater is to let the head resonate. Some prefer a resonant bass drum, so not burying the beater would important to someone who likes resonance. Some prefer a more thuddy sound from their bass drum, and in this case, burying the beater wouldn't be as much of an issue. The bottom line is that if you are burying the beater, and you are getting the sound that you want from your bass, then you have no worries. On the other hand, if you are burying the beater and you aren't getting the sound you want, then it just might be a problem.

Ok, now let's talk about speed on the bass pedal. If you get used to burying the beater, it will limit your speed on the pedal, because you are not working with the natural rebound of the beater. It is not much different than the speed issue on the snare, or the toms. At some point, to go faster, you will have to learn to work with the rebound, rather than against the rebound.
    Well said.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rthmjohn View Post
    So my drum teachers in the past have always preached to never bury the beater into the head of the bass drum. That is, they always taught that you should let the bass drum beater rebound just like a stick. But then I recently watched videos of guys like Jojo Mayer and Eric Harland playing on various size bass drums, and guess what they were doing? That's right, they buried their beaters into their bass drums. So what's the big deal anyhow? Any ideas?
    Burying the beater can be used for loud thumping accented notes that can compliment the groove and really bring out the "rebounding" ghosted notes. It all depends on how you play. I change technique to whatever feels best in a song but I am never burying the beater at all times. That's just my take on it but then again everyone is different.

User Info Menu

I always buried the beater. I've been working on not doing so. It's tough to unlearn that after doing it for so long. Is there anything wrong with it? Not necessarily, as PB said above. Just something I wanted to work on.

User Info Menu

I use both techniques. If the dynamics of a song require a very low volume, I bury the beater to quell any boominess that might ruin the moment or if I want to switch to boom to thud to create some movement in the piece of music.

User Info Menu

I always bury the beater. As a heel-up player I find it easier, and I think it just sounds better.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I use both techniques. If the dynamics of a song require a very low volume, I bury the beater to quell any boominess that might ruin the moment or if I want to switch to boom to thud to create some movement in the piece of music.
    ^ This exactly. As an example, Led Zeppelin's Immigrant song. If you bury the beater, it sounds robotic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    That's what I was going to say and I think you'll find that with most pro players unless they've made a conscious decision to always play one way. The solution is to be comfortable with both so that you can pull them out of your bag of tricks at random. I bury the beater most of the time but when I'm playing swing, I don't like to as you don't want that kind of sound with that music. You want the bass drum more open sounding and ambient.

User Info Menu

Same as someone above, I play heel up and bury the beater, a few songs require a quick lighter foot so I let it bounce for those.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Your teacher, and rightfully so, probably wanted you to practice this so you could learn control, dynamics and gain speed. Burying the beater is all good but you won't achieve as much dynamics and speed. It's good to learn to play both. I'll bet that most professional drummers that bury the beater can very well play very nicely with finesse, control, dynamics and speed using the "rebound" technique.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I don't always bury the Kick but when I do I make sure everyone knows it happened

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    I don't always bury the Kick but when I do I make sure everyone knows it happened
    Haha...Good answer!!
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

There are different sounds that come from each style. If used in an interesting pattern, you can even create variation on your kick drum pattern, giving a unique sound to your playing. With jazz tuned kicks especially, you get a higher pitch if you really bury the beater vs let it rebound (blame Peter Erskine for me knowing this one).

I personally prefer to have a consistent kick drum sound, so I don't bury the beater. An engineer that I was talking to complained about when drummers buried their single kick strokes and so the drum sound totally changed when they played double kick patterns. So I make it a point not to bury unless I'm going for the buried sound.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I always bury the beater. As a heel-up player I find it easier, and I think it just sounds better.
    Same. I do play off the head when playing jazz though. When I bury the beater I never have any problems with the beater buzzing, do you?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I work the BD whichever way I need it for what I want to do and the sound I want.

User Info Menu

Wow, so many great ideas! Thanks a lot, you all. This really helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    ^ This exactly. As an example, Led Zeppelin's Immigrant song. If you bury the beater, it sounds robotic.
    Oh yeah, but with songs with faster footwork e.g. Immigrant Song or Good Times Bad Times, it's just easier to let the beater bounce rather than to bury it.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Work smarter not harder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

On this video, the drummer seemingly buries the left hand on the snare @ 3:15-3:20 marks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e19-qmLXA7o

Presumably, if you can bury the beater for these reasons, you could bury a stick for these reasons too - correct?
    Last edited by Rickkus; 11-21-2012 at 09:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickkus View Post

Presumably, if you can bury the beater for these reasons, you could bury a stick for these reasons too - correct?
    Burying a stick (so to speak) is an option but results in a muted sound. While that muted sound is often desirable in a bass drum, it is not usually desired in a tom sound. This is cultural of course but it speaks to "desired sound" specifically. A lot of us (myself included) like the muted/muffled "thump" of a bass drum but are not as keen on muted tom sounds. That said, some drummers still like the muted tom sounds of the 70's so to each his own.

User Info Menu

I notice too that burying the kick beater on the acoustic kit influences tonality/sound, but on my electronic kit this means of expression is missing - once a trigger is executed the sound wave plays until the next beat - making control of tonality impossible.

It's sorta like pinching a cymbal - just stopping the vibration, or closing the high hat, for that matter I guess.

User Info Menu

Yea, electronics is a whole different animal. You can't approach it the same way.

User Info Menu

you will get buzzing if you don't use internal dampening (AKA pillow)

User Info Menu

It's all good. Music is best played in the moment. There's a time for rebounding and a time for burying.

all the best...