Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aussie slang for drongo's....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Aussie slang for drongo's....

I had a customer today (well, most days ), and I thought this is a perfect time to add another term or two.

Derro- Someone who knows they're stupid, but try to sound intelligent anyway.
    Drongo is also acceptable.

Mad as a cut snake - Like the above, but as well as being stupid they're generally a loose cannon as well.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Didja have a durry (cigarette) on yer smoko break whilst ya were at it? Or didja go to the Rissole (RSL - Returned Serviceman's Leagues club) after work to sink a coupla schooies? (schooies - short for schooners: a glass of beer measuring 425mL's....although I think in Adelaide their schooners are smaller than ours, somewhat like an English half-pint or so).

Now here's some more words, used especially by the real ockers amongst us. What we call Strine.

Jergoda: Did you go to...?
    Dingo: [noun] An Australian native wild dog.
    Also [verb] Declaration of non-attendance to an event.

- "Jergoda th' cricket?"
    - "Nah, dingo. Sorten th' telly."

Aorta: They ought to. Often said about services and organisations that are lax or tardy about fixing things.

- "Jer seen th' 'mownna traffix gonna in n outta Sinny of late? Strewth!"
    - "Yeeeahh, aorta do sumfin 'bowt it, 'spose."

Emma Chisit: How much is it?

- "That'll be one pie with mash and peas, right sir?"
    - "Yeah, that's right....emma chisit? 'N yer got wunnavem Tommo Sauce (tomato sauce) packet fingies? I love my dead 'orse!" (dead horse.....rhymes with sauce).

Hop eyes: Hot pies. Often consumed at sports events.

- "Oi, Trev yer goober, can yer do us a favour?"
    - "Wha'?"
    -"Yer goin' past that way, ken yer gettus cuppla hop eyes, chips n sauce? 'Ere's a lobbie (lobster = $20 note) cheers champ!"

Enemy: End of my.

As in "enemy tether". Not to be confused with "emeny" as in "emeny jiwant?" ("how many do you want?")
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 11-28-2012 at 02:42 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Now when we buy something, the directions are going to come in Chinese, french, Spanish and Crocodile Dundee.

User Info Menu

Good stuff boys..

I was getting a lot of the Aussie/NZ slang but DD`s post has really thrown me.I got Dingo and that bit of rhyming slang but everything else was interesting if a bit of a mystery to understand.

I suppose that`s the beauty of the language..Take English(which is a mixture of just about everything),add in a splash of local dialect give it a shake and bake for twenty minutes and see what happens.It`s all English but with a local twist.

Gregory Peck - Cheque
    Apple and Pears - Stairs.
    Chevy Chase - Face.
    Tea Leaf - Thief
    Argy Bargy -Trouble
    No oil painting - Somebody or thing that isn`t very attractive
    High as a kite - Intoxicated
    I should coco - Rhyming slang for hope so.
    Mince pies - Eyes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Now when we buy something, the directions are going to come in Chinese, french, Spanish and Crocodile Dundee.
    to be politically correct it's Dundee ..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    to be politically correct it's Dundee ..

What happened to the "crocodile"?

User Info Menu

we never said crocodile dundee...its like saying the Queen of England ...you just say the Queen everyone knows who you mean

when you say Dundee ....do you think hmm koala dundee or emu dundee ...no you dont hence "Dundee as a localisim"

also when you speak English do you say i speak England ..no you don't ...so you speak dundee is the correct terminology

User Info Menu

Whatever you call him, he's got a big bloody knife!!!
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Dogs Eye and Dead Horse - Pie and Sauce.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    we never said crocodile dundee...its like saying the Queen of England ...you just say the Queen everyone knows who you mean

when you say Dundee ....do you think hmm koala dundee or emu dundee ...no you dont hence "Dundee as a localisim"

also when you speak English do you say i speak England ..no you don't ...so you speak dundee is the correct terminology

There are roughly 14 Queens in the world. So if someone says the Queen, we don't automatically think of the Queen of England.

Local for you...Crocodile Dundee for us.

I speak English, but, on those rare occasions when someone from England asks me if I speak English, I tell them that I speak German just to p*** them off.

....but I do love it so when you 'splain things out for us here in the colonies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There are roughly 14 Queens in the world. So if someone says the Queen, we don't automatically think of the Queen of England.

Local for you...Crocodile Dundee for us.

I speak English, but, on those rare occasions when someone from England asks me if I speak English, I tell them that I speak German just to p*** them off.

....but I do love it so when you 'splain things out for us here in the colonies.
    The Queen of the Commonwealth is by far and away the most well known Monarch in the world and is the person most people would first think of when somebody mentions the Queen.If anybody knows of a more well known living monarch i would be surprised.The only other Queen that`s as well known is Elton John.!