Thread: Simulating room mics

User Info Menu

Default Simulating room mics

So I'm recording drums for my friend on a home produced album he's working on. The other day we were recording for this big power ballad type song he's written and the drums need to sound big in the mix. Unfortunately we're recording in his living room which is carpeted and not the largest room in the world. We've only got space to mic up the kit and there's no room for room mics. So we recorded the tracks and inevitably the kit sounds like it's been recorded in a small carpeted room and does not sound big. How can we simulate the effects of room mics to give the kit that 'bigness' that it lacks?
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Simulating room mics

Use reverb and other eq's etc ... Take it in mind to be tastefull when using fx

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    This is key,

you use a pinch of salt not a bucket to add flavor. Think of FX as spices.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

This might be obvious but just in case, using a reverb track and sending the individual tracks to it will help give the feel of the individual drums all being in the same room.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

other than reverb try duplicating your tracks to get more oomph out of the drums and compress the duplicate tracks differently, then add a taste of reverb. This works great for the kick and snare especially
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    This might be obvious but just in case, using a reverb track and sending the individual tracks to it will help give the feel of the individual drums all being in the same room.
    +1 on this... also if the reverb has it's own track, you can eq the effect itself. which is nice because sometimes you can get more of it in the mix and create more space without having the fx really in your face.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    This.
    If you're close mic'ing everything, keep it fairly dry on the front end, then mix in some reverb later.

Another possibility would be to record just the drums, no cymbals, first. Then go back and just record the cymbals. It could free up a couple mics to use as room room mics, and I've read that recording the drums on their own has a way of making them sound bigger. This would also allow you to tailor the eq, compression, and reverb settings specifically for these two groups.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

If at all possible, try laying down a sheet of plywood underneath your kit to get a hard surface for the sound to bounce off or try to relocate the kit into a room with alot of hard surfaces.

On a serious note, tiled bathrooms make great natural reverb. Steven Tyler of Aerosmith recorded a track in Joe Perry's shower for a blues album.

Quote-Steven Tyler:

"We drilled a hole in Joe's upstairs bathroom in his house, right down to the studio," explains Tyler. "We put a microphone up there, and I'm in the shower, singing. On one particular song, 'Bad Black Train,' that he sings, I'm up in the shower on harmonica.' "

Can you re-locate the kit?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    If at all possible, try laying down a sheet of plywood underneath your kit to get a hard surface for the sound to bounce off or try to relocate the kit into a room with alot of hard surfaces.

On a serious note, tiled bathrooms make great natural reverb. Steven Tyler of Aerosmith recorded a track in Joe Perry's shower for a blues album.

Quote-Steven Tyler:

"We drilled a hole in Joe's upstairs bathroom in his house, right down to the studio," explains Tyler. "We put a microphone up there, and I'm in the shower, singing. On one particular song, 'Bad Black Train,' that he sings, I'm up in the shower on harmonica.' "

Can you re-locate the kit?

I do not even want to know what he is doing on THAT throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I do not even want to know what he is doing on THAT throne.
    Practicing doubles?

User Info Menu

I heard a splash.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Practicing in the bathroom... putting the "rude" back in rudiments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I heard a splash.
    hahaha...twisted sense of humor...that's great!!

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Practicing in the bathroom... putting the "rude" back in rudiments.
    Got G.A.S.?