Thread: Is this a good way to take the next step?

User Info Menu

Default Is this a good way to take the next step?

I started out 8 months ago with a Zoom h2n and Gerageband. The h2n offered very simple and basic recording with decent sound and gave me a chance to play around with Gerageband.

I have always liked recording in the studio and was always fascinated by the process. But I can't afford thousands in good gear nor do I have the room. I also don't want to spend hours and hours learning. I want to do some basic recording (very basic) and have fun in the process.

I recently read a post on here about a member wanting to record. It was suggested by a couple other members that he get a couple good condensers and a decent interface. So this is what I am thinking about getting to take the next step in my recording endeavors. What so you guys think? Any thoughts and suggestions will be welcome.

--PreSonus AudioBox USB 2X2 USB Recording System
    --Shure PG81-LC Condenser mic.
    or
    --Shure SM137 Condenser Instrument mic.

Any other suggestions for mics or interface are welcome.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is this a good way to take the next step?

i think it's a great starting point...the only thing i'd say is to maybe look at some large diaphram condenser mics that are within your budget. might give you some more versatility if you're just gonna go with the two mics.

User Info Menu

It's not outside the budget. Thanks for the advice.

Here are a few I was looking at. Are any of these decent?

AKG C2008B
    AKG C2000B
    Not quite sure what the difference is between those two. The appear to be the same so I don't know if it's a typo. Found them at GC used.
    AKG Perception 200
    Shure KSM27

I noticed some have shock mounts. I wouldn't think I would need them though.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

i'm familiar with the akg... i have the perception 400 which i believe is the same as the 200 but with multiple polar patterns. it's a work horse for me. i'll use it on almost every instrument.... and if a mic comes with a shock mount, use it.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I have been looking at CG and they have plenty of AKG Perceptions used for great prices as compared to the new ones I have been looking at (over 1/2 off in many cases). The AKG C2000B is a discontinued mic and did retail for 199.00 new and they are selling two used ones for 69.00.

But now that you mention the Perceptions I'm debating now.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

For mics I have decided to get a couple of AKG Perception 220's (the 220's and 420's are a newer version of the 200's and 400's).

For the interface I am deciding between the Presonus Audiobox 22 USB 2.0 or the Presonus Audiobox 44 USB 2.0. I'm leaning toward the 44 only because I can expend in the future, should I like doing this, to 4 mics. My only question now is, do I get the VSL software that comes with it since I already have gerageband? I know gerageband is very simple and has it's limitations but it works well with Presonus. However I would think that the software that comes with the interfaces would be more compatible which would seem like it would be easier to use with the unit.

Any thoughts?
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Personally I'm using three Presonus FirePods tethered together by firewire and Cubase as my software. I get great results.

Consider the newer version which is their AuidoBox 1818VSL. Should work with any software and you have have up to four connected if/when you want to expand.
    John W. ("J-Dub")
    My Band: www.facebook.com/sundaybrave
    www.youtube.com/user/durangodude01nj

6pc Tama SCM Platinum Fade
    6pc Tama SCM EFX Blue Silk (shells signed by Jason Bittner)
    5pc Tama B/B White Silk
    5pc Tama B/B Egyptian Night Burst
    7pc Tama SCP Birch Cherry veneer
    5pc Tama Silverstar Satin Cherry Burst
    6pc Tama classic Superstar Cherry Wine

User Info Menu

OH yeah, forgot to add I'm using Audix mics all the way around.
    John W. ("J-Dub")

5pc Tama B/B White Silk

User Info Menu

The Firepod had 8 inputs? May be a little more than what I need right now. But since I have been doing a little more research, I have figured that firewire is a better option than USB. It's faster and offers less noise.

What Audix mics are you using?
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    The Firepod had 8 inputs? May be a little more than what I need right now. But since I have been doing a little more research, I have figured that firewire is a better option than USB. It's faster and offers less noise.

What Audix mics are you using?

D2 on three racks, D4 on two floors, D6 on the kick. Trusty 'ol SM57 on snare. I also was surprised at the sound I got from StudioProjects mics. I have a pair of C4's for overheads, one on hi-hat and under my main snare. They're very affordable and sound great for the coin. Also very good for a project studio like mine.

Ok so maybe not ALL Audix. lol
    John W. ("J-Dub")

5pc Tama B/B White Silk

User Info Menu

Nice set up you have there. So in addition to playing you have taken an interest in the recording side of "the business". That's pretty cool. At some point I may get there.

I have always been interested in recording so I'm starting very slow and simple. To be very honest it has always intimidated me (fear). So when I was in the studio I would do my thing on the set then let the engineers do their thing.

Right now It's 2 AKG Perception 220 condensers with the Presonus Firestudio.

The whole idea is to learn the basics (the very basics) with simple yet decent gear to do some light recording in the drum room and to be able to take the computer, interface and a couple mics to a gig and basically plug-n-record (once I learn to use this properly).

I want to keep it under $1000.00. I'm getting the mics used from GC (eek ). I won't take a chance on a used or refurbished interface so I'm going new on that. Then with cables and an additional mic stand that should leave me under budget for any additional items I may need, like maybe a decent pair of monitors to mount on the wall in the drum room?
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

a good pair of headphones can do the job for you just starting out... if you get serious about it, then save up and buy a good set of monitors. you'll want good monitors and they can get pricey. the headphones will let you practice and learn all the basics without having to drop a ton of cash right off the bat.

User Info Menu

I definitely need a decent pair of over-the-ear phones. The in-ears I have probably wont cut it...ShureSE425 are fantastic for monitors and practice but I wouldn't think they would work well for mixing.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Presonus Firestudio but then I started reading about the Apogee Duet 2. What a great unit from what I have read and the reviews are very positive. The Presonus had some very good reviews but the Duet 2 seems to be "the one". And it was designed to work well with Mac (which is what I have) so I'm leaning heavily on the Duet 2.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

yeah the in ears are great for performance and tracking but to mix you gotta let a lil air in to get a realistic idea of what's going on... great choice on the akg mics. i think you'll be happy with them. perfect for starting out. you'll be able to use them on more than just your drums and they're not gonna be something that you'll out grow should you decide to expand your collection and go all in.

User Info Menu

I definitely need a decent pair of over-the-ear phones. The in-ears I have probably wont cut it...ShureSE425 are fantastic for monitors and practice but I wouldn't think they would work well for mixing.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Presonus Firestudio but then I started reading about the Apogee Duet 2. What a great unit from what I have read and the reviews are very positive. The Presonus had some very good reviews but the Duet 2 seems to be "the one". And it was designed to work well with Mac (which is what I have) so I'm leaning heavily on the Duet 2.
    ...For what it's worth.......I'm using the Presonus Firestudio 26x26 connected to my mac...............works great.............also using some Sennheiser Over the ear headphones that work great in place of monitors.

Here's a pic

Good luck with it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    ...For what it's worth.......I'm using the Presonus Firestudio 26x26 connected to my mac...............works great.............also using some Sennheiser Over the ear headphones that work great in place of monitors.

Here's a pic

Good luck with it
    That's a great set-up but more permanent than I want at this point and more inputs than I would like right now.

Also I have a MacBook pro, not a desktop, if that makes a difference in speed and power but from what I have heard it should be fine. It's a 2012 with plenty of memory and speed.

My biggest question right now is, is firewire a little better than USB. The word out there is that it is a little faster, monimal to no latency and has a better power supply for phantom power (although I will probably not use the bus power much).

Thoughts?
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

That's a great set-up but more permanent than I want at this point and more inputs than I would like right now.

Also I have a MacBook pro, not a desktop, if that makes a difference in speed and power but from what I have heard it should be fine. It's a 2012 with plenty of memory and speed.

My biggest question right now is, is firewire a little better than USB. The word out there is that it is a little faster, monimal to no latency and has a better power supply for phantom power (although I will probably not use the bus power much).

Thoughts?
    DSS, I'm also using a 2012 Macbook pro..........works great. I'm not positive if firewire is better, I just read many reviews and comments saying it was faster with little to no latency.........that's why I went with it. I've never personally tried it with a USB connection, it may be just as good.

User Info Menu

I have heard that the 2.0 USB is just as good as the firewire. It's the older USB that is a bit slower. I'm not all that tech savvy so I'm trying to figure this out. I trust many of the people on here and based on what you said firewire may be the way to go.

I want to do as much research and take this slow before I invest in the gear. I don't want to say to myself, "I should have gotten that instead of this..."

I'm satisfied with the mics I chose. I'm just conflicted about the interfaces.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

FireWire is better than USB2 it has a more stable faster bit rate and transfer speed ... I would only get a FireWire 400 or 800 I/o or a interface that supports thunderbolt after owning a usb2 I/o I would not go back to that
    Last edited by itchie; 12-05-2012 at 12:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Do they even make affordable interfaces that support Thunderbolt connectors?
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Depends on your difinition of affordable ..