Thread: Any one use Meinl Extra Dry?

User Info Menu

Default Any one use Meinl Extra Dry?

Hey everyone,

Any one here use Meinl Extra Dry? I've been looking at getting the 22" Medium ride.

Thoughts?

Fredr

User Info Menu

Default Re: Any one use Meinl Extra Dry?

I've got the 20" Extra Dry Thin Crash and 14" Extra Medium Hats. I love the Extra Drys, I think they're great, their sound is awesome. They are not as versatile as some people might want, but if you know what you're getting then it's not an issue.

What are you looking for out of your ride? Because I tried this at Memphis Drum Shop last year along with some others. It feels a ton better than any other dry ride out there. It doesn't feel like you're hitting a brick like it would with say, the 20" K Custom Special Dry Ride. (Had that once.) That said, it's still a dry ride. Quick decay to the initial hit, though in smaller settings you'll hear it for a lot longer. It may not be as versatile as some may like, but that depends on the rest of your cymbal loadout. That may be the sound you're looking for from a ride, and if it is, go for it. I'm sure you've seen MDS's videos on it, and they're a pretty accurate portrayal, IMO.

Personally, I love my hats. Love them. I'm switching to Traditional very soon, simply because the top hat is brittle. I can't afford to replace it when it does eventually fall out of warranty. My crash is great too, especially recorded. Amazing. Live, it doesn't cut quite enough and becomes almost an effects cymbal because of the decay. I still wouldn't sell it, I dig it too much. If I were you, I'd try before you buy, or if you can't do that, make sure there's a return policy up for you just in case. I don't think you'd need it, it's a great cymbal. But it may not be your cup of tea, so it's nice to have a back up, haha.

Also... Have you looked at the 22" Sand Ride? I love mine.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Right Gaurd regular spray here... oops, sorry
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I actually have the exact ride you're asking about, and I really like it. Most people don't like 22s because they get out of control too easily, but because of the dryness these ones don't get too crazy, but you can definitely still crash them if you need to. Bell is also one of the absolute best out there.

Basically with the extra drys, you need to know that you're buying a pretty specific sound. As long as you listen to it yourself and decide that's the sound you want, they're stellar.

User Info Menu

I love 22"s. I don't think I can go back to a 20" after getting a 22".

User Info Menu

Hey guys,

I forgot I even made this thread sorry!

I currently use a 20" Sand Ride as my main ride. I had 24" Paiste 2002 but it was way to big for me.

How do you think the 22" Medium ride would hold up in rock music? I'd be using it mostly as a crash ride.

User Info Menu

I'd think it would hold up well, it'd have a quicker decay than your Sand Ride, that's for sure. However, I think the gain in size would make up for the loss from the finish. You'd still have a very unique, somewhat washy ride on your hands. If you're wanting a dry ride to crash on, I think this would probably work pretty well. I use my Sand Ride same way you say you'd be using this, they behave kinda similar.

I'd say give it a try. I've thought about getting one someday myself. It's probably the third ride I'd get behind the 24" Traditional Medium and, of course, my 22" Sand. That said, if you do get it, tell me what you think. How does it hold up at gigs, how well does it crash, ect. And of course, we'll all probably want to see it, haha.