Thread: Funk players, which do you favor: on or behind the beat?

User Info Menu

Default Funk players, which do you favor: on or behind the beat?

In a sudden change of pace I find myself in a band whose music favors playing on the beat:accents on 1 and 3, while I come from a traditional behind the beat: accents on 2 and 4, favored by my other, more bluesy band. Any one else find the change up between the two a pain in the **** to get used to? I keep ending fills "behind" the beat instead of "on" it.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Funk players, which do you favor: on or behind the beat?

I understand what you are saying and how you feel. I have been there. Now, from having played both ways many times it's pretty easy to transition. But it took a little getting used to at first. I found I had to concentrate on counting in my head before it felt "natural".
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

i always like to be a touch behind when possible , seems to fatten the beat up a bit.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Playing behind the beat for me is dificult...its not a natural feel for me...I know guys who pull it off so easily that it makes me mad to watch and listen to em...I have to concentrate super hard...count and pray~
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

my philosophy is "if you arent in my pocket, you are out of the pocket"
    especially when it comes to funk which i play alot of.
    the rest of the band can pick it up a bit or back it down as they feel but im laying the beat down.
    its alot like being a catcher in baseball, you control the team on the field.