Thread: Going in the Studio!!!

User Info Menu

Default Going in the Studio!!!

Well, mates. Bottom Drawer is movin' on up! We hired a manager/booking agent (my wife!! - she did it for my old band and was excellent at it) and now we need a press kit/package which requires the obligatory "demo CD" (plus photos, bios, etc. which will come soon). Therefore, we are scheduled in the recording studio on August 19th. My wife and I found THE most awesome recording studio and actually stumbled across it looking for an old drum shop I used to haunt (the owner died 4 years ago and the shop closed soon thereafter). In any case, it's located in Providence, RI and called Jam Stage, here's the website - www.jamstage.net . This place is awesome - the only thing my bandmates need to bring are their guitars as they have every type of amp imaginable available (Marshall stacks, Fender, Crate, etc.) , the only thing I have to bring is my sticks and I have a choice of 7 (that's right SEVEN) different drum sets - starting with a DW 6-piece and moving down through Yamaha Maple, Yamaha Birch, Tama and Pearl (I'm going to use the DW but I'll bring my own cymbals and stands due to my unique set-up). Not your typical Southern New England studio that you would find in somebody's basement - which I have been in a few. Rates are extremely reasonable, too - $40./hour - we blocked 5 hours for a 4 song "sampler" and have a pro engineer doing the recording. This is really getting "fun"!!!! Can't wait! I'll post the fully engineered songs once we have the master.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Sounds exciting. You may want to bring your own snare drum and/or foot pedal too. Good luck!

User Info Menu

and maybe studio rings
    i have em
    they're cheap
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

you're going to record 4 songs in 5 hours? you guys must be pretty damn tight.

User Info Menu

Excellent call, Drummer... hadn't considered that because I always used my own set when I recorded before. Ringo, they (the studio) have all that but also an excellent suggestion. Plus I'll bring my "Moon Gel" just in case. EP, yes we are tight, surprisingly so after such a short time together. We rehearsed last night and learned (not road ready but certainly presentable) 3 new songs... the three guitar players get together a few times a week, the bass player joins them a couple of times then we all get together once a week at my place. We've got about 35 songs in our library. We're playing my backyard party this Saturday then after that, we're going to pick the best 4, practice them next Wednesday then hit the studio on Sunday. We're going to try to do 4 in 5. Frankly, I'm amazed at how quickly we can really lock onto a song. Guess it all has to do with dedication and desire. We all want to be good!

Stix
    Last edited by Stix518; 08-09-2007 at 08:50 AM.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats

User Info Menu

sounds great, but why not record with your sonor? that kit would sound amazing mic'd up and on tape. all i would use is thier cymbals. altho i would be stoked to record on a yamaha birch recording custom kit.

User Info Menu

Funky... I thought long and hard about the decision because I agree with you 100%. The Sonor's would sound awesome but it would be a real hassle to have to break em down, set em up, mic em, break em down then set em up again back here. Plus the time to set em up and mic em would be against the time we're paying for. The DW is already there, tuned and mic'd ready to go. So I figured you can't go wrong with a DW. Now if it was a cheesy set, there'd be no decision necessary... the Sonor's would travel. But a DW? All ready to go?? ALMOST a no brainer.

Stix

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare

User Info Menu

would be tough one for me. i would still go with the birch yammies if not your own. have you ever played a well tuned yamaha recording custom kit? it is heaven. my personal opinion is they are perfect. there is a reason why they are the most recorded drums in the world. or it could be that steve gadd can account for 1.6 billion of those recordings? either way they are badass.

User Info Menu

The advantage to playing on a kit that the studio owns is they know how it behaves in their room for their mics. Should take less time to setup and you'll generally get a better sound in less time.

User Info Menu

thats incredible man! im so happy for ya bro!

User Info Menu

Wow. Its a fun stage to be at stix... Wait till your recording an EP or even a LP its gonna be wicked fun dude! Woohoo for stix :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente View Post
    The advantage to playing on a kit that the studio owns is they know how it behaves in their room for their mics. Should take less time to setup and you'll generally get a better sound in less time.
    very true. but i still want to hear those monster sonor toms recorded well.