Thread: I Think I Got the Gig !

User Info Menu

Default I Think I Got the Gig !

Went to the audition last night.
    The guys had sent me four original songs two weeks ago and wanted me to be ready with those four...............then the night before the audition, the bass player texted me and asked me to include two more songs (I thought this was an interesting move). So I went home early yesterday and worked hard on the two new songs as well as the first four.
    We played five of the six songs last night and after a short break we returned to the rehearsal studio to play three covers that (fortunately) I happened to know well.

Everything went as well as could be expected and they told me on several songs that I had "nailed" them.

They got my e-mail address and told me they would be sending more songs so we could play even more "next time"............sounds very promising.

These guys have a fully-equipped rehearsal room............amps, instruments, big PA, recording equipment, etc...............impressive.
    I used their house kit last night..............a 5-piece Yamaha kit that was very bright...............a low-end kit, I'm sure.

At any rate, I had a lot of fun last night and it appears this will work out.
    For a long time, I have been looking for a way to have some more fun with live music and hoping to fall in with the right players..................I'll keep everyone posted as things progress.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: I Think I Got the Gig !

Bass player was probably seeing if you were on your toes. Congrats though man, all the best with the new group
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Ricardo!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

congrats, nice little test from them too.

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Atta boy Ricardo! Good luck and have fun!

User Info Menu

Cool!

User Info Menu

Very cool. Sounds like it might be fun.

User Info Menu

Way to go Ricardo!! All the Best!!
    Joe

User Info Menu

Congratulations.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Congrats man!
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Congrats Ricardo.............I think the bass player was just seeing how quick you learn a new tune, and if you were serious enough to learn them properly

User Info Menu

good going.way to be prepared .. congrats...
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Congrats Ricardo.............I think the bass player was just seeing how quick you learn a new tune, and if you were serious enough to learn them properly
    I agree with longgun.
    First, I was given material to study for the test.
    In addition, with less than 24 hours to go I also had a pop quiz there at the end.
    On top of that, they pulled in a couple of covers just to see how we could jam on those................they had their agenda.

Since I posted the original message here this morning, I have received very nice and encouraging e-mail messages from both of the guys telling me how well everything punched last night and how much fun it all was.

Thanks so much to all of you here at the DC board; I appreciate you guys.
    We have a great community here.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that while they are checking you out, you have to be checking them out also.

First impressions are usually best foot forward. You have to look for any internal conflicts they might have that will surface later.

I don't want to be a downer, I honestly hopes this works out for you, but, I'm a realist, and I've seen things happen that were not apparent early on.

I do wish you luck with this. I know how great it is to find people that are all on the same page.

User Info Menu

Congrats on nailing the audition Ricardo! I know you were working hard to prepare, and it paid off with a good audition. Let's hope the next step comes quickly for you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Wow man, nothing like getting thrown in the deep end eh?
    Glad to hear you nailed it. Well done bro!!
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Congrats man!!!!!
    John W. ("J-Dub")
    My Band: www.facebook.com/sundaybrave
    www.youtube.com/user/durangodude01nj

6pc Tama SCM Platinum Fade
    6pc Tama SCM EFX Blue Silk (shells signed by Jason Bittner)
    5pc Tama B/B White Silk
    5pc Tama B/B Egyptian Night Burst
    7pc Tama SCP Birch Cherry veneer
    5pc Tama Silverstar Satin Cherry Burst
    6pc Tama classic Superstar Cherry Wine

User Info Menu

did they give you the Job when they emailed you back to say you had a good audition?
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Congrats, Ricardo. All the best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    did they give you the Job when they emailed you back to say you had a good audition?
    Yes and no.

While they have used words like "potential", they have also spoken to me about upcoming gigs and split of the money etc.
    (Not including previous studio gigs with the bass player,) I have played music with these guys for only 2 hours so, I'm willing to feel it out and continue to do my best to be well-prepared for all subsequent rehearsals and keep the positive attitude about it all.
    They have also mentioned that the previous drummer was not into preparation and practice so I see an open door there to make an easy impression.

To answer mtc's question, I feel I do have the gig unless I screw it up or something weird goes on..............I believe that, appropriately, they (and I, too) are being positive but cautious at such an early stage of the association.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian