User Info Menu

Default Re: Help - Crush Acrylic or Mapex Mydentity

looks good.

User Info Menu

^^Wow!! Looks fantastic!! Congrats!!!

User Info Menu

I tried out the kit at my store ( it is an option for next kit) and you will be completely satisfied with the kit, or at the very least the snare. The snare is amazing.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

VERY nice...Congrats!!!

User Info Menu

Congrats. I see that Crush has an acrylic bop kit now, too.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

WOW! Love it Shane. Can't wait to see the full kit.

User Info Menu

Man, I can't wait to see the whole kit! I can totally understand why you went with the Crush Acrylics!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    Of those two kits, I'd definitely choose the Crush kit. Looks badass, sounds great and if you take good care of it, it'll hold up I'm sure.
    +1

Some of the Identity kits look great and some look really cheap.
    Depends (mostly) on the lugs you choose.

CRUSH acrylics are just classy.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Congrats. I see that Crush has an acrylic bop kit now, too.
    I saw a few of those on ebay. 18 kick, 10 rack, 13x13 floor tom, and snare. I might try to pick up a bass drum if I see one for a reasonable price. I play a lot of jazz and blues that the full 22" acrylic will be way too much for. Then again, that's what my Yamaha kit is for.

Thanks for the congrats all around gentlemen!

This represents the very height of patience of which I am capable. Here is a view from where I do most of my work in the mornings, and what I had to stare at without opening all day:

I snuck the bass drum out during lunch and snapped a quick iPhone picture:

I think with the virgin kick, I'm going to have trouble with a 2 up offset configuration. I can't see how I can get the 12" far enough over the kick on a stand, so I'm probably going with a rack. I can convert my Gibraltar Stealth Rack to a full height one with a couple of 48" bars, which will arrive tomorrow. I'll get everything set up and tuned then take the kit to my recording space on Friday evening and do some video/photo/recording work and hopefully post it that night. Stay tuned!

User Info Menu

I've owned a set of fibes acrylics for 41+ yrs. Not a single crack...and they're not seemless. They spent over 4 yrs on the road too. But it's true, they look like crap if you let them get dirty. I bought them for volume and because I was a huge Mahavishnu / Cobham fan.
    I spent much of that 41yrs retired from playing. When I decided to get back into it, I couldn't get into the old plastic drum sound so I got some dw collectors. There is no comparing the sound. Plastic just doesn't reverberate like wood or metal!!!
    There's a reason you don't see acrylic flutes, clarinets, guitars, violins, etc etc et al.
    I would have said, "Keep the Pearls!" Add on. I agree about their toms. I've never played any Pearls I didn't like.
    After your acrylic phase wears out...you will be glad you kept your Pearls!

User Info Menu

Staring at those boxes without opening them musta been torture!

Really amazing kit man, acrylics are beautiful!!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    I
    There's a reason you don't see acrylic flutes, clarinets, guitars, violins, etc etc et al.

-DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

I've owned a set of fibes acrylics for 41+ yrs. Not a single crack...and they're not seemless. They spent over 4 yrs on the road too. But it's true, they look like crap if you let them get dirty. I bought them for volume and because I was a huge Mahavishnu / Cobham fan.
    I spent much of that 41yrs retired from playing. When I decided to get back into it, I couldn't get into the old plastic drum sound so I got some dw collectors. There is no comparing the sound. Plastic just doesn't reverberate like wood or metal!!!
    I would have said, "Keep the Pearls!" Add on. I agree about their toms. I've never played any Pearls I didn't like.
    First acrylic drums I ever saw was when a friend of mine took me to a small venue in Ft. Worth to see a new band from Houston -- turned out to be ZZ Top, before they made their first album................F. Beard was playing a Fibes acrylic kit at the time.
    Next, I saw a local Dallas band with a drummer that had a double bass Ludwig Vistalite clear acrylic kit, including the snare..........I thought they sounded good but looked awesome.
    I'd never (ever) get rid of my old Gretsch USA kit but I would like to also have a Crush acrylic set some day.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Dang Shane! That kick is awesome. DON'T DO THE RACK!!! LOL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    +1...............I think the rack would take some of the visual effect away........you should be able to get the toms correctly over the bass if you uses two cymbal stands, on either side of the bass, and attach some single tom mounts to them.

Congrats...........those do look Bada$$

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post

I played with a guy who had a clear flying V, he would have to switch to his Paul to give his shoulder a break, dang that thing was heavy.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if the construction techniques have changed since then, the seam has something to do with it, or maybe bearing edges, but so far these things ring like mad. In fact, there is a good deal of sympathetic vibration between the drums. I don't think I'll be able to play these wide open like I can my wood drums. I do have a nice maple kit that I consider my career set that I'll always use for lower volume gigs. The Pearls that I kept are going to become my practice kit and live in a garage. I am worried that I'll have to keep cleaner on hand at all times. I've noticed dog hair migrating to these things like they are magnetic.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    Staring at those boxes without opening them musta been torture!

Really amazing kit man, acrylics are beautiful!!
    I broke and after everyone but me left for the day I got out the snare and tuned it up.

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    +1...............I think the rack would take some of the visual effect away........you should be able to get the toms correctly over the bass if you uses two cymbal stands, on either side of the bass, and attach some single tom mounts to them.

Congrats...........those do look Bada$$
    I spent a couple hours last night trying to get the positioning right with stands and it just would not work for me. I've gotten used to offset mounted toms and with the stand I couldn't get the 12" over the bass drum far enough to be able to tuck the 10" between it and where I like my hihats. I think eventually I'll get sick of the rack and either drop the 10 altogether or switch to a standard placement without the offset. When I think about it, the rack probably takes an extra 10 minutes to set up and a couple extra to tear down. On a full gig I play for 3 hours, so that seems worth the effort to get the placement locked down. I'm going to try to set the crossbar as low as possible to get it out of the way. I have a curved bar, so it might actually look cool. I'll get into it this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    First acrylic drums I ever saw was when a friend of mine took me to a small venue in Ft. Worth to see a new band from Houston -- turned out to be ZZ Top, before they made their first album................F. Beard was playing a Fibes acrylic kit at the time.
    Next, I saw a local Dallas band with a drummer that had a double bass Ludwig Vistalite clear acrylic kit, including the snare..........I thought they sounded good but looked awesome.
    I'd never (ever) get rid of my old Gretsch USA kit but I would like to also have a Crush acrylic set some day.
    I'll always have a wood set, and I see this as something situational to rock gigs. I realize they will probably end up sounding pretty good, but looking much better. Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised at how good they actually end up sounding once I get them tuned up with decent heads. I'll report back as soon as that happens.

Another big thanks for all the support guys!

User Info Menu

This is the offset positioning I've gotten used to recently. I'm not in the mood to readjust to new placement at the moment - I like the skin on my knuckles where it's at .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    This is the offset positioning I've gotten used to recently. I'm not in the mood to readjust to new placement at the moment - I like the skin on my knuckles where it's at .

Yeah your 12 is almost dead center on the kick that would be difficult with a stand. You pretty much need a kick mount or a rack to get that.

User Info Menu

I was refering to acoustic instuments not being made of plastic for a reason.
    I think some one built an carbon fiber acoustic violin but as you would expect it was loud and harsh. Not quite a Stradavarius. It may have been electric as well.
    Shane, you may be able to spray your new tubs with some anti static product for the dog hair. Just try it on a small area first to be safe but acrylic, or plexiglass, is pretty impervious to anything that doesn't contain petroleum solvents or acetone etc.

User Info Menu

I was refering to acoustic instuments not being made of plastic for a reason.
    I think some one built an carbon fiber acoustic violin but as you would expect it was loud and harsh. Not quite a Stradavarius. It may have been electric as well.
    Shane, you may be able to spray your new tubs with some anti static product for the dog hair. Just try it on a small area first to be safe but acrylic, or plexiglass, is pretty impervious to anything that doesn't contain petroleum solvents or acetone etc.
    I may try that out. What did you use to clean yours all those years? I'd like to have something on hand for when I need it.

User Info Menu

That acrylic looks mighty classy indeed. Post a sound sample when you get a free minute

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumonthis View Post
    That acrylic looks mighty classy indeed. Post a sound sample when you get a free minute
    I plan on recording a video review this evening. I'll link it here and then close this thread since the original topic has run its course. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by Redeye; 02-22-2013 at 03:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    I plan on recording a video review this evening. I'll link it here and then close this thread since the original topic has run its course. Stay tuned.
    'atta boy, Shane. Can't wait.

User Info Menu

Shane, I didn't really clean them all that often. While on the road the cases (soft & fuzzy) kept them pretty dust free. I did use windex once in a while. (soft cotten cloth) They spent many years in storage (non climate controlled if that helps ease your fear of temperature extremes and variations) and/or set up gathering dust and grime. About a year ago I totally dissmantled and cleaned and polished them. I used the three step plastic polish on any scratches or mars and they came out really nice. I was planning to sell them but realized they were the perfect compliment to my dw collectors. I can't believe how the quality of top-line drums has improved!