Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Van Halen Underrated?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Alex Van Halen Underrated?

After watching some vids in this thread I think of two things. His kick sound SUCKS. and EVH still amazes me and is an incredible guitar player.

User Info Menu

Saying Frank Beard is underrated and Alex isn't is laughable. It's like calling Phil Rudd underrated. Also calling him irrelevant? His kick sounds great (those are crappy YouTube videos, try listening to their actual songs on decent speakers), he has a unique snare sound, and awesome toms. He is very skilled, and I believe him to be among the best. I'd like to watch the people who say he's not very skilled play Girl Gone Bad, Outta Love Again, and Hot For Teacher.
    Current Set Up:
    Ludwig 1963 Black Diamond Pearl 20" Bass and 12" Tom
    5 Roto-Toms: 6", 8", 10", 16", 18"
    Premier Chrome Snare
    Zildjian Hi-hats
    Paiste 2002 Reverend Al's Big Ride 24"

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"- Neil Peart

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    He is not relevant in a discussion of history's top drummers. Eddie VH is one of the best guitarist ever. Doesn't make his brother one of the best drummers ever. That arguement doesn't hold water. Apples and oranges my friend.

Defining? Really? Elaborate. When you ever hear discussions about "top drummers" his name never comes up. Good? Yes. Defining? Hardly.
    Did you even read the thread? That's why it was started. He ISN'T mentioned, why? Because he's underrated.
    Current Set Up:
    Premier Chrome Snare
    Zildjian Hi-hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanProject85 View Post
    Saying Frank Beard is underrated and Alex isn't is laughable. It's like calling Phil Rudd underrated. Also calling him irrelevant? His kick sounds great (those are crappy YouTube videos, try listening to their actual songs on decent speakers), he has a unique snare sound, and awesome toms. He is very skilled, and I believe him to be among the best. I'd like to watch the people who say he's not very skilled play Girl Gone Bad, Outta Love Again, and Hot For Teacher.
    I'm listening through 200 dollar Sony studio headphones, thanks.

User Info Menu

I'd like to watch the people who say he's not very skilled play Girl Gone Bad, Outta Love Again, and Hot For Teacher.
    Yes I read the thread. I said he wasn't underrated, meaning he got the credit he deserved, ie: not being mentioned in the "top drummer" conversations. Guess it's all relative. If you believe those songs to be that difficult, then your point of view is and should be much different than mine. Also, I don't recall saying Frank Beard is underrated. Guess we must just agree to disagree.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 12-13-2012 at 05:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    He is not relevant in a discussion of history's top drummers. Eddie VH is one of the best guitarist ever. Doesn't make his brother one of the best drummers ever. That arguement doesn't hold water. Apples and oranges my friend.
    Yeah whatever man.
    Everyone else here thinks he's pretty worthy of discussion, otherwise there wouldn't be a thread.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Lawl @ irrelevant. He's one of the defining rock drummers of the entire era, very very influential.
    Huh?!!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Let's tone it down guys. We don't want this to get out of control like some of the Travis Barker threads. Let's keep it civil. Debate is fine but do it with diplomacy and respect.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

No probs drummer dude. All good mate.

User Info Menu

Did you even read the thread? That's why it was started. He ISN'T mentioned, why? Because he's underrated.
    What does underrated mean exactly?, I guess is the question. Rated on what and on whose scale? You seem to be rating this drummer very high.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 12-13-2012 at 06:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Huh?!!!

all the best...
    What part of that does not agree with you?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    If you achieve any kind of fame, usually you are overrated.

From what I've seen, people tend to look at it this way: If you are famous, you must be great, and if you should die young, you must have been even greater than they thought you were in the first place.
    I agree that people tend to think that fame equals greatness and it doesn't. As for the the second part of your reply I agree with that also. To continue to recognize and honor the achievements, talent and contributions, memories or whatever else those that have passed leave behind is fine. To elevate them to a higher level of greatness because they passed is a bit much, IMO.

I have always liked Alex's playing. I think he is a very talented player. He may not have received the level of recognition that other drummers did (weather better or worse than he) but there is no mistake that he is very good. And he certainly does have a signature sound and style.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I'm listening through 200 dollar Sony studio headphones, thanks.
    I meant that the quality of the YouTube videos can't be that good. I figured you were listening through your computer. Mine has terrible speakers, I wish it would've came with better speakers. They're too quiet and faded-sounding.
    Current Set Up:
    Premier Chrome Snare
    Zildjian Hi-hats

User Info Menu

By underrated, I mean he deserves more credit than he gets.
    Current Set Up:
    Premier Chrome Snare
    Zildjian Hi-hats

User Info Menu

After watching some vids in this thread I think of two things. His kick sound SUCKS. and EVH still amazes me and is an incredible guitar player.
    What? His kick sound rocks! Sometimes it's triggered though so you got that clickish sound in the mix. If you're like me and have messed with e-drums/vst/midi, well you already know the frustration to get the electronic aspect of it sounding natural and acoustic. So much attack.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

By underrated, I mean he deserves more credit than he gets.
    This is kinda the way I define underrated as well. Regardless of whether you're good or bad at something, you don't receive enough attention. But overrated would be the opposite, you get too much attention at that same thing.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I meant that the quality of the YouTube videos can't be that good. I figured you were listening through your computer. Mine has terrible speakers, I wish it would've came with better speakers. They're too quiet and faded-sounding.
    I guess my point is just that I think Alex is a very good drummer. Certainly better than I am. I think that in the solo live vid NR posted above his drums don't sound very good. I don't have a problem with his sound on cds.

But in that band the eyes were constantly on EVH and DLR.

User Info Menu

I guess my point is just that I think Alex is a very good drummer. Certainly better than I am. I think that in the solo live vid NR posted above his drums don't sound very good. I don't have a problem with his sound on cds.

But in that band the eyes were constantly on EVH and DLR.
    Exactly. Michael Anthony provided backing vocals, but other than that, his bass added hardly anything to the band: but you can't forget the opening to Runnin' With the Devil! I think Alex's solos prove less about his skill than the actual songs. I really liked the new VH album and hope the tour is filmed. They haven't had an official VH DLR DVD yet, and they need to do one before it's too late.
    Current Set Up:
    Premier Chrome Snare
    Zildjian Hi-hats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    What? His kick sound rocks! Sometimes it's triggered though so you got that clickish sound in the mix. If you're like me and have messed with e-drums/vst/midi, well you already know the frustration to get the electronic aspect of it sounding natural and acoustic. So much attack.
    It does have an in-between sound. It's very punchy. I like it a lot!
    Current Set Up:
    Premier Chrome Snare
    Zildjian Hi-hats

User Info Menu

Personally I think Mike's bass playing was at it's best on Diver Down.
    There's one thing with Van Halen though, and most guys here have touched on it, and that's the fact that no-one was watching Alex or Mike. If you're not watching them, you're not really listening out for them.
    So with Alex, you really have to listen out for what he's doing behind the wall of guitars and DLR screams.

User Info Menu

I've always felt that Van Halen was influencial, but never been that impressed or influenced by Alex. He IS A GOOD DRUMMER and there's a lot of really cool VH songs I love to play.
    As far as drum sound goes, it's ALL a matter of personal preference and I always found his snare sound almost annoying.
    Never liked any of the Van Hagar stuff at all.

User Info Menu

At least you dislike the Van Hagar era. Haha!
    Current Set Up:
    Premier Chrome Snare
    Zildjian Hi-hats

User Info Menu

I must be in a minority.....I like both the DLR-era as well as the Hagar-era Van Halen.

I miss Mike in the band though.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Looks like the dash of my old 76 firebird.
    lol Awesome reference. I knew it reminded me of something. I had the 77 Formula. I had the wood looking trim but always wanted the TA trim. Loved that car
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I think rating is another we say all the time that doesn't really mean anything. How do you "rate" musicians? Unless you go to a system like in pro sports where athletes have "stats".
    These kinds of things can't be just left to individual opinions. Way too hairy canary!

I've always gotta laugh when people start naming the "best" drummers of all time and all that, and they all just happen to be from the heavy rock genre!! Coincidence?
    As if a century of jazz music and myriads of drummers of that genre are swept under the rug. When people talk about the greatness of and influence of Alex VH, it speaks to me of someone with a very limited musical palette.
    There are tons (I mean literally hundreds) of great awesome drummers whose names I've never even seen mentioned on drum chat. Why aren't they being "rated"?

all the best...