Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drumming fitness question

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drumming fitness question

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I have no complaints about my speed, but a 20lb dumbell would not do wonders for the arthritis in my left wrist and elbow.

I lifted in my younger days, but with light weights. More to stay toned as opposed to trying to bulk up. I used to stay between 165 and 170 lbs. I lost some weight (doctors orders) mainly because of my sugar level (I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like), now they want me to gain some back.

Exercise is good for you whether you play drums or the radio, it will give you stamina for playing, if you do play, but, on the whole, I would go with lighter weights.
    I saw that last vid. You are looking a bit peckish there Rick.

User Info Menu

But seriously... I've spent about 4-5 months educating myself on fitness for better quality of life. Meaning being leaner, stronger, more flexible, lower BMI, better heart rate, lower BP all that. Because EVERYBODY has a system, diet, book, deal and all us boomers are falling apart there is a ton of updated research and scienctific studies out there about what works to help you gain strength, increase aerobic ability (called stamina), reduce joint issues and gain flexibility.

I've read over 10 or 15 books about all this and seems the current science says don't matter if you lift lots light or more less it's about the same in the wash. Most say it's better to lift more less about once a week and recover the rest of the week. Some studies have shown that groups strength training with no aerobic had better cardiovascular improvement that another group doing aerobic only. Flexibility can be improved with lifting (very many newer studies show this is true), stretching and yoga or Tai Chi. More are saying don't do yoga unless you come from Calcutta. Americans sit on toilets and Indian's squat all day so we don't bend very well so leave the yoga to the yogi's (or the 22 yr old chicks doing it). Aerobic activity aids recovery from lifting and overloading the muscules you are working. Also improves your VO2 max (your ability to move oxygen in and out of your lungs) which improves circulation and oxygen levels in the blood.

Then keep eating cucumbers and kelp... eeeccchh! Well tuna sandwich instead of the Colonel. More science shows it's how your body works for you and how much sugar and carbs you do or don't take in and how you get it that helps or adds the weight. All the other stuff just makes life worth living and slims the belt line a bit. Interesting....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Priceless!!!!

I told you, that's why they paid me the big bucks.

One of these days, you will hit 1 of my videos and instead of drumming, you'll see my stand-up act.

I start with the 6,395 words you can't say anywhere and why Sybil wanted breast implants because her eyelashes were too long.

Of course it will be a race between PB and Tom to see who gets me off the air fast enough because I make Pryor and Carlin look like choir boys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wr_stix View Post
    But seriously... I've spent about 4-5 months educating myself on fitness for better quality of life. Meaning being leaner, stronger, more flexible, lower BMI, better heart rate, lower BP all that. Because EVERYBODY has a system, diet, book, deal and all us boomers are falling apart there is a ton of updated research and scienctific studies out there about what works to help you gain strength, increase aerobic ability (called stamina), reduce joint issues and gain flexibility.

I've read over 10 or 15 books about all this and seems the current science says don't matter if you lift lots light or more less it's about the same in the wash. Most say it's better to lift more less about once a week and recover the rest of the week. Some studies have shown that groups strength training with no aerobic had better cardiovascular improvement that another group doing aerobic only. Flexibility can be improved with lifting (very many newer studies show this is true), stretching and yoga or Tai Chi. More are saying don't do yoga unless you come from Calcutta. Americans sit on toilets and Indian's squat all day so we don't bend very well so leave the yoga to the yogi's (or the 22 yr old chicks doing it). Aerobic activity aids recovery from lifting and overloading the muscules you are working. Also improves your VO2 max (your ability to move oxygen in and out of your lungs) which improves circulation and oxygen levels in the blood.

Then keep eating cucumbers and kelp... eeeccchh! Well tuna sandwich instead of the Colonel. More science shows it's how your body works for you and how much sugar and carbs you do or don't take in and how you get it that helps or adds the weight. All the other stuff just makes life worth living and slims the belt line a bit. Interesting....

A better quality of life can be had with a blonde (preferably young) a bottle of Johnny and your quality of life will be greatly improved. Now you may only last a week, but the quality will be there.

I don't follow you on the lift more less thing, but I do prefer to lift less more.

I lived for decades on (if I was up for breakfast) 3 eggs over easy, bacon and home fries. Lunch was a Whopper and fries, dinner, a pizza. My blood flows like molasses, but, it still flows.

My old girlfriend back in the '70's, was into yoga. She used to do all these weird positions, and I would sit there and think "Yeah, that would work for Playboy".

Cucumbers are OK, kelp I can do without.

I can still touch my toes, but I need my reading glasses to make sure that they are all there.

It's in the jeans (yes, I mean jeans, not genes) If you can get into a pair that are 10 years old, chances are that you're OK, but, if you can't and haven't seen your toes standing up for a few years, then get thee to the health store, buy weights and a copy of the Kama Sutra. Start there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Originally Posted by rickthedrummer
    Dogs are much safer than the ladies.

.........but not nearly as much fun.......

True, but when the fun was done (especially with Sybil) I used to wish she would turn into a 6 pack and a big screen TV.
    ...........wouldn't that be the s**t............the perfect woman

User Info Menu

Stay away from yoga? That's sounds absurd....

User Info Menu

Great responses! Keep em coming all the way. Is it bad to work out every day to your limit, or should you wait days between?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

As long as you arent injured its fine.

User Info Menu

Will there be any instance where you don't realize if you aren't injured?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I don't often see it brought up, so I wanted to talk about fitness and drumming. In regards to drumming, is strength or stamina better? I've just started lifting weights about 2 weeks ago, to get in better shape for drumset. I'm using 20 pound dumbbells at this point, in a number of exercises that cover most upper and lower body muscles. Personally I get so winded when i'm playing, I thought it'd be great to get into it again. My arms sometimes feel heavy and slow, and sometimes i'll have to stop real early cause i'm out of breath! My question is this:

Am I on the right track, or is there different exercises I should be doing instead that are more geared towards how long you can drum day to day? Is lifting weights counterproductive, and meant for a different hobby?

Thanks in advance for all replies on this.
    Stamina is what you need. A cardio workout would serve you much better than weight lifting. Lifting tends to tighten the muscles and you want them to be loose for quick easy movement. I've always been told weight lifting is bad for drumming.

User Info Menu

Not that I'm doing it much now...but jogging/running really helped me gain stamina as well as faster reflexes while playing. It helped me drop some weight and for some reason I tended to eat healthier when I was running a lot last year-which made me feel better overall. I also stretched really well after each run which also seemed to help me get around the set with ease. I don't know, something about running made me feel better about my playing. Will hopefully start running again soon!

User Info Menu

Part of drumming fitness is simply drumming daily, and for as long as you can. That way you are working out the exact muscles that you need for drumming. I totally agree that stamina is the biggest factor, and is the way to being the healthiest that you can be. If you are getting out of breath, then aerobic activity is the key to improvement.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!