Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital DrumKits

User Info Menu

Default Digital DrumKits

I am really stoked about getting a Roland set with v-pads in the not to distant future, though I cant say I am too stoked about the 5k price tag lol.
    I'll always have my acoustic, but I just get the urge to pound out some beats around 12:00 am or later some nights. Can't do that with acoustic lol. I got the chance to play a Roland at guitar center and loved the feel of the v-pads and couldn't believe how much better the sound of digital kits have gotton over the years.

Anyone here own a digital? If so what are your impressions after taking it home?

User Info Menu

I hate digital kits....I think they are great for practice but i hate when ppl use them in performances....it's like a concert pianist playing bethoven on a keyboard with the New York Phillharmonic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumvistator
    I am really stoked about getting a Roland set with v-pads in the not to distant future, though I cant say I am too stoked about the 5k price tag lol.
    I'll always have my acoustic, but I just get the urge to pound out some beats around 12:00 am or later some nights. Can't do that with acoustic lol. I got the chance to play a Roland at guitar center and loved the feel of the v-pads and couldn't believe how much better the sound of digital kits have gotton over the years.

Anyone here own a digital? If so what are your impressions after taking it home?
    Wow, that's a lot of money. I used to have the TD-7 (bought it used) and it was incredible. I hear the new Rolands are amazing. I haven't had a chance to play them but I'd love to have another set. You're right, they're great for practicing when you can't play your other set. You can just stick your headphones on and go.

User Info Menu

man I think the greatest improvement on those Rolands is the mesh heads!! talk about responsivness! i also must say that i think digital sets give you a sense of false hopes, because acoustics arent as responsive or produce such a predictable sound all the time...at least on the set i play with..haha my acoustic set is never predictable
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

Default Doin' it on digital drums

I got Yamaha's electronic drums 'cuz I lived in a duplex & needed to work on some songs! An amazingly convenient practice tool. I did use 'em for many a live gig too. They're great for small/low volume rooms, as well as giant outdoor arenas where I could run a direct out to the house PA through my amp. No sound guy set-up worries 'bout which mics & where. Recordings sound amazingly well mixed, with all drums perfectly tuned & in key ... if desired!!
    But now I've taken it a step up, Roland V drums. More triggers means a bigger variety o' sounds. They're still not as diverse as acoustic possibilities, but havin' two triggers per tom & cymbals, plus three on the snare, helps build the emotive potentials. The cymbals also have a choke hold on the edges, so "choking' a cymbal is a new trick in my sound arsenal, unused pre-Roland, even acoustically!!

User Info Menu

Groovist, you don't miss the response or feel of an acoustic kit on the live shows? That's the problem I always had playing the digitals anywhere outside the apartment. I missed the snare response the most.

User Info Menu

i think the snare on electric sets are TOO responsive, know what i mean?
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baw_Drummer
    i think the snare on electric sets are TOO responsive, know what i mean?
    Yea, I do. It's hard to put in words but you'll always sacrifice some things on an electric kit. I'm just a die hard acoustic guy when it comes to live playing.

User Info Menu

ditto man.

User Info Menu

By the end of this year, I'm planning to copy my acoustic kit with the Roland V-Pro sets. I'll need to combine two sets, to get close enough, but my wife agreed to it. I'll also need a mixer to link the modules together to one headphone "out". Plus two new Iron Cobra pedals, Iron Cobra hi-hat stand, and a remote/cable hi-hat stand, headphones, and extra wires to connect the two sets. Price: $12,000 - $13,000. I can't wait!!!
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by METAL DRUMMER
    By the end of this year, I'm planning to copy my acoustic kit with the Roland V-Pro sets. I'll need to combine two sets, to get close enough, but my wife agreed to it. I'll also need a mixer to link the modules together to one headphone "out". Plus two new Iron Cobra pedals, Iron Cobra hi-hat stand, and a remote/cable hi-hat stand, headphones, and extra wires to connect the two sets. Price: $12,000 - $13,000. I can't wait!!!

dang.....i can't even afford a new throne....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    dang.....i can't even afford a new throne....
    ...and I can't even pay attention LOL
    max

User Info Menu

LOL... Yea, I can't wait. My wife wanted a pool, so we agreed that we'll get the pool but I get the Rolands. I think I made out on the deal...

User Info Menu

I'll say! A pool is pretty nice too! Too bad you can't practice your new Rolands in the pool.

User Info Menu

I bet u could come up with some kinda air tight bubble..

User Info Menu

I have Rolands 6sw-v tour and I love it. I jam out at night with the headphones and don't bother the neighbors or my family. That's the reason I got them and I didn't have room for my Pearl sets. Another cool thing about the electric set is that I just plug it into my digital 8 track and record. It sounds awesome, but nothing like playing the real thing. Only 5 more days until I move and get a drum room again . So if your getting one I suggest any Roland, I didn't like the Yahama at all.

User Info Menu

I almost forgot, you can plug your cd or mp3 player into it and play along with your favorit track. It's a blast.

User Info Menu

I use a digital kit at my church infront of kids, but when I play at the big services about once every month i play acustic drums which i prefer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdome
    ...and I can't even pay attention LOL
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by METAL DRUMMER
    LOL... Yea, I can't wait. My wife wanted a pool, so we agreed that we'll get the pool but I get the Rolands. I think I made out on the deal...
    So uh, how's she like doing laps in the little plastic "kiddie" pool?

If you're gonna spend THAT kind of $$, I'd highly recommend stepping it up a notch w the Clavia ddrums. BEST e-kit on the market bar none. More sensitivity & dynamics, & FEELS more like a real drum when struck [a lot less bouncy/rubbery than the mesh pads, which will weird out your acoustic kit technique when you have to go back to it], altho the newer Roland V TD-20 are good for certain situations & applications. I like the R-V/TD's but pref the d's.

The only thing i don't like about the ddrum3's [out at that time] was the fact that you couldn't get a LF-HH click or splash sound [using just the foot & not the hand/s]...but i think they may have ironed out that [dumb] little problem by now, at least by the ddrum4 i believe. I have to use the real hats from the acou kit with them.

As with anything, you might want to check into both [or more] alternatives b4 setlling on one...another stretch would be to invest in the brain, but get a more conservatively priced acou kit & fit it w foam-rubber & decent triggers. Cyms might be a diff story, & take a little creative thinking...i rem when i used to clothespin towels around real cyms to choke the sound in an apt [lucky apt dwellers around me...hey, i coulda NOT toweled them...hey, i also coulda been out on da street afdterwards... %-p]

I acquired both the TD10 AWA ddrum3 over the last 10 yrs of working & gigging...clearly i have no pool, home that's paid for, or "normal" [what's that?!] life, for that matter!
    Last edited by Trane Weck; 05-25-2006 at 01:47 PM.

User Info Menu

ha-ha Trane Weck! No kiddie pool for her... Her inground pool cost $40,000. It's huge!! So, she owes me... I can't wait!!!!!! I'll look into what you were sugesting, thanks. No triggers though, it has to be E-drums.

User Info Menu

I currently have a Roland TD8 kit and a CB MX series kit built together on one rack. Best of both worlds! The Roland kit is maxed out with 5 mesh heads and 4 PD7 pads while the CB is a 5 piece kit with 6 Paiste cymbals. My band plays a wide variety of music, so the Roland is great to emulate other kits. I also use a lot of sound effects that I have programmed in and still be able to play the acoustic. The acoustic is mic'd and everything runs through a dedicated PA. I can play any size venue with this setup. The only drawback is setup time. It also cost a fortune to build (about 10k), but is worth every penny!

User Info Menu

I'm looking into one right now. I love them. but I havent played in 20yrs. How ever the possibiities are endless. Go to their website and watch the demo. I think I'll get the V-pro...my only concern is the transition later to acoustic. But I've seen acoustic drummers kick *** on that thing. they are so awsome. I might connect a laptop with mine.......

User Info Menu

what about
    Pintech ?

User Info Menu

has anyone played with pintech heads/triggers

User Info Menu

Clavia doesnt solve the noise issue......Although I see how putting triggers on an acoustic set might be fun.