ok,
    so i have Ludwig in my basment with double kick pedals
    but its hard to switch from left kick to high hat,
    if you have any idea how to make it easier
    PLEASE speak,
    thanks so much all
    xMATTHEWx[[MURDER]]

User Info Menu

isn't this same question on another forum?.....

User Info Menu

Yea i saw this somewhere else

User Info Menu

Practice,Practice,Practice. Drop your top hat down and lock it and just use simple beats and work on it.

User Info Menu

do you mean you have trouble doing it ...physically or knowing when to do it ?? also get a drop clutch ...awesome invention !!

ok after much faffing around i`ve managed to write you a small excersize in letters i hope you get it

key = :

hh = hi hat
    s= snare
    rb = right bass
    lb = left bass pedal .

tried to type it in but it wouldn`t av it ....ok...

it`s dead easy ...just keep doing it over and over and over and over and over .

dave

EDIT : I`ve added a second excersize and as you can see you are doing a paradiddle with your feet .it`s tricky to start but just keep going with it .notice the HH is playing 1/4 notes instead of 1/8 notes ..have fun !! when you get fastr at these play 2 bars of the check patten then 2 bars of the B/drum pattern (the check patten being the first bar)WARNING: don`t expect to get anywhere near the second one for a fair while !!
    Last edited by pinkfloyd; 09-16-2006 at 06:05 PM.

User Info Menu

nice lecture pink. i believe thats too theoretical. i will advice u to connect ur thinkin to the beat u are playing. And for every beat u wanna play, have it in ur mind b4 doin it- apply it to switchin to hi hat!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kord Jazz
    nice lecture pink. i believe thats too theoretical. i will advice u to connect ur thinkin to the beat u are playing. And for every beat u wanna play, have it in ur mind b4 doin it- apply it to switchin to hi hat!
    ...Sheesh. Well, he did say he was an "adviser" to drummers.

User Info Menu

I don't have a double bass pedal yet, sorry. but it sounds like pink's on the right track there, i air drummed that, and it just feels right, with the bass drum parradiddles.

User Info Menu

uhh...yea...drop clutch is key..and see if you can integrate a second to drop it or raise it in your playing or find new ways to follow through with the beat while freeing a limb to perform a task

like...ill play with my snares down..and play a beat with just my right hand and bass so it gives me a sec to put my snares up to change up what i wanna do

Hope this helped!
    Good Luck!

User Info Menu

Default Re: how to use a high hat

Practice movement by jerking your leg from one play to another very quickly, and place the pedal closer to the hh pedal. :D
    Oh, and sorry for the late post!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Holy crud this discussion got complex. I was just going to say make sure the pedals are RIGHT next to each other ( A two legged hi-hat stand helps) then try pivoting between the two pedals by putting your heel in the middle of the two. I don't play double bass, but I watched Benny Greb here and that it was cool. Behold, a master of pedal control.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvBRTHxsXCw"]Benny Greb Insane Groovy Drums Solo - From His New DvD Language of Drumming - - YouTube[/ame]

Hope this helps.

Noah
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Just practise doing all kids of patterns, if your wanting to get some independance. It gets fun when you get a second hihat stand next to your main kick pedal, too. Derek Roddy's DVD "Blast Beats Evolved" Had a section on muti-pedal stuff, could be worth checking out.

User Info Menu

Two-legged hi-hat stand REALLY helps you get that left foot back to the hat's pedal. Really.
    AND the drop clutch is really helpful too. I used to think I could play around that third, hat stand leg...argh!

User Info Menu

wow

talk about thread revival , how much dust was on this one

User Info Menu

Watch this from the 4:37 mark...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xshrk4D0Rw&feature=player_detailpage"]thomas lang - creative controll 4.mpg - YouTube[/ame]
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

if you have two bass drums and don't have a legless hat stand, get one.

but it sounds like you're just running a double so i'd say adjustments and trial and error. Set up your hat stand where you want it then work the other pedal in between.

If you gotta move the hat stand further away to fit the pedal in then you'll just need to adjust to the new hat stand position.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN