Thread: Blast From The Past

User Info Menu

Default Blast From The Past

Hi -- I am new to this chat. I saw a couple of cool things out here and thought I would hang out for a few.

I have been a drummer for forty years as of my birthday last week -- that makes me -- well -- old.

I had an illness a few years back. I ended up with a degenerative condition that forced me to stop playing due to a condition that was deforming my hands.

With the help of modern science, my condition is not only in complete remission, the only deformity was on my left index finger. After a couple of years of practice, a little relearning on how to play once again -- and a LOT of patience to reachieve patterns and positions that I had mastered years ago --

So now I am playing again -- and who the heck knew? It is cool to be a fifties something drummer -- seems like nobody cares as long as you can play.

At any rate, I am working with a great team of people now, and I have recently put a MySpace page for the band out there.

My normal set consists of a lot of different styles -- and our current song is a collaberation between the drums and the bass -- this one is different --

I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks and I hope to be talking to you soon............

www.myspace.com/doktormojo

User Info Menu

wow.. it sure shows that you have been playing for 40 years, sounds amazing man. i hope I play that long to get that good. anyways, welcome to the chat, you'll love it here, not a bad apple in the bunch!

User Info Menu

by the way, are those drums altered with computer? or is it all you?

User Info Menu

wow awesome. thats amazing
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Cool Blast from the Past

Hey, Mo--welcome aboard!

You're not the only drummer in his 50s around here...and you've got quite a story there, man! (Amazing what medical technology can do...)

Hope to listen to your link shortly!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Mo, you are indeed most welcome here, and thank you for you story of perseverance. It should be an inspiration to all of us. I look forward to takin a few minutes to see your video.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Really nice music. I listened to it Thrice.

Sounded a bit like, i dunno, Björk with busyer drums and minus the vocals.

Anyone on here like Björk, by the way? I think shes one of the female vocalists ever.

drums-rock Guest

sorry vinny never heard of them

drums-rock Guest

o yeh and welcome man your ace on the drums!

User Info Menu

Cool What Band do You Play For!

Hey, Mo--awesome jazz sounds--I loved the way you played off the bass... your crash actually sounds like the splashing of a whale as it breaks water at the surface and blows...

would have jammed along with it on hand drums but I don't have them here at the office !

Keep up the great work, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drums-rock View Post
    sorry vinny never heard of them
    Her. Shes a singer.

User Info Menu

rock and roll salute to you mo degley. i can see why bongo bro wants to play along with that song. sounds like that illness isnt holding you back any. i'm sure it has made you grateful for what you can still do with your gift and will make you enjoy it that much more.

User Info Menu

amen that!