Thread: The Cult concert

User Info Menu

Thumbs up The Cult concert

To tell you the truth I have never heard of the Cult until last night. Watched a concert on HIFI again lol of the Cult and to tell you the truth I was amazed by them I thought for sure it would be another Pop band or something like that. The only band that I knew with the word cult in it was Culture Cult with boy George whicch realy sucked anyway was impressed with the Cult great band.

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Cult concert

Dug the Cult for quite some time. Awesome. We cover a couple of their tunes. People dig it. Glad you found 'em.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: The Cult concert

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Dug the Cult for quite some time. Awesome. We cover a couple of their tunes. People dig it. Glad you found 'em.
    Thanks man I realy enjoy this HIFI channel cause it has alot of concerts and interesting topics on musicians with shows like Guitar Picks. Backstage Secrets, Later with Joons Holland etc and get to know new or older bands that I never knew.

User Info Menu

Ah, The Cult. Been a fan of theirs for a long time. Glad you're digging them.

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    To tell you the truth I have never heard of the Cult until last night. Watched a concert on HIFI again lol of the Cult and to tell you the truth I was amazed by them I thought for sure it would be another Pop band or something like that. The only band that I knew with the word cult in it was Culture Cult with boy George whicch realy sucked anyway was impressed with the Cult great band.
    Hi

Boy George was in Culture Club.

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Any relation to Blue Oyster Cult?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Any relation to Blue Oyster Cult?

all the best...
    None at all!
    Saw the Cult in 87 when they supported U2 in Leeds on the Joshua Tree tour. I've always liked them even though they seemed a bit "gothy".
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Hi

Boy George was in Culture Club.

cheers Mark
    I was close

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post
    None at all!
    Saw the Cult in 87 when they supported U2 in Leeds on the Joshua Tree tour. I've always liked them even though they seemed a bit "gothy".
    That's because The Cult were a Goth Band to start off with....

Before guitarist Billy Duffy left Theatre Of Hate, vocalist Ian Astbury had The Southern Death Cult:

...then when Billy Duffy joined, together with Jamie Stewart on bass and Ray Mondo on drums (previous band was Ritual), for a short time they were known as Death Cult. Ray Mondo left shortly after this formation, so Nigel Preston, from Duffy's previous band, Theatre Of Hate, was brought in:

(Incidentally, it's Nigel Preston that cut the track "She Sells Sanctuary" from 1985's Love album. All other tracks were done by Mark Brzezicki, on loan from Big Country.)

Finally, when they were making 1984's Dreamtime album, that was when they first started calling themselves The Cult, which meant that they gained a wider audience after sort of distancing themselves a little bit from the Goth scene.

Really though, once Steve Brown helped them to produce the Love album, that's when they really started to gain a helluva lot of notice in the UK, Europe, a little bit in the U.S and elsewhere, even here in Australia. Wider success would really start to happen though once they worked with Rick Rubin on the Electric album (by then, Les Warner had joined as their touring drummer during the '85-86 Love tour).

Last edited by Drumbledore; 12-18-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

A very succinct history there Drumbledore.

Your mention of Theatre Of Hate reminds me that I saw Spear Of Destiny again last month (supporting Stiff Little Fingers), with Kirk Brandon back on great form after very serious illness over the last year or two. Great to see him back performing.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

"Sun king baby..." Sonic Temple is a great album. Nice big drum sound.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......