Thread: The Offspring

User Info Menu

Question The Offspring

I'm just wondering if anyone here likes The Offspring - they are one of the bands I personally like that never seems to get a mention under any of the threads in here.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

or let me guess what allot of people will say - "I like their old stuff better than their new stuff"

There was actually a song called "I like Your Old stuff better than your new stuff" form a local aussie band called "Regurgitator" - mainly becuase allot of people would say that to them when they changed from being an heavy alternative band to a more techno-pop sounding band - no matter what they played though they were heavily underground for the most part, only earning a little main stream success from like two of their songs ever. They changed their sound not becuase they were trying to be famous, but because they play and write what they like to listen to. I'm gettig side tracked now. This thread is supposed to be about Offspring

User Info Menu

they are ok but never really got into them..i prefer chunkier, thicker type of music with big heavy riffs. I do like them though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    they are ok but never really got into them..i prefer chunkier, thicker type of music with big heavy riffs. I do like them though.
    Korn?

User Info Menu

I love offspring, I have forever

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    I love offspring, I have forever
    Which do you reckon is their best song? Album? I reckon best song - Gone Away, Best Album - "Smash" with "Ixnay on the Hombre" a close second. Although, thinking about it - Meaning of Life is also one kick arse song, and of course there is Genocide or Self Esteem and Come out and Play - although those last two are a bit over played.I even liked songs like Original Prankster and that from their later albums, although I haven't heard their newest stuff - kinda lost interest in that style of music for a while.

User Info Menu

One of my favorite punk bands. I think when I bought Splinter, it stayed in my cd player for a few months lol. And I think Gone Away is my favorite song, kinda ties with Come out and Play.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

havnt really got into them, (yet) i like a few of there songs for sure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    One of my favorite punk bands. I think when I bought Splinter, it stayed in my cd player for a few months lol. And I think Gone Away is my favorite song, kinda ties with Come out and Play.
    BAH. Their not Punk!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    BAH. Their not Punk!
    I totally disagree - they ARE punk.

User Info Menu

I love their middle album. Ixnay on the Hombre..... That was their peak :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    I totally disagree - they ARE punk.
    Well have to agree to disagree.

User Info Menu

punk :s..........Punk rock i guess..... Definatly more rocky tho....... I dont like getting into genres :p
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

offspring, are offspring, their wahtever you want them to be

My favorite song from them when i was like, what, 4? Pretty fly for a white guy, but hten i started listening to them more, and got into songs such as self esteem, cant get my head around you, go get a job, ect

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    BAH. Their not Punk!
    well, they were punk once upon a time. when they came out with that "keep em seperated" song i could hardly believe it was the offspring. just a few years before that i would have called them one of the baddest street punk bands in L.A. the guitar player from my first band was friends with and went to high school with those guys in costa mesa ca.

Shazane Guest

I like them.

This is a great video and song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXCKQNAV9fo

They WERE Punk, but most of their stuff is alot more rock than punk.

User Info Menu

I think majority of their new stuff i would classify as rock - some sort of rock anyway, but at the same time, even some of their new stuff still has their classic punk sound to it, such as Da Hui.

I think though they appeal to a different side of "punk" than the more classic or traditional punk bands, which I reckon comes from a more surfer, california based influence. Just hearing some of their stuff in my head, both old and new, and that's what I'm thinking.