Thread: Kick Pedal Bounce

User Info Menu

Cool Kick Pedal Bounce

Hey - has anyone out there done any kind of comparison between the various Kick Pedals to see if some are more prone to beater bounce than others. I understand about use of good technique, head tension etc, but I am sure that my own kick pedal requires more effort controlling the bounce than other pedals I have tried.
    Above question is assuming that Burying The Beater is not an option.
    Xmas and New Year greetings to all

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kick Pedal Bounce

Welcome LLD! Yes, there are bass drum pedals designed with more adjustment options than others. Some have beater distance and footboard adjustments that other do not have. I would look into the DW9000 pedal. I believe it's one with the most adjustments available. I don't own one but others who do might want to chime in.

User Info Menu

Thanks Top Dog. I should take a look at the DW. It does not come cheap but it gets rave reviews. Too late for an XMas present? For myself! The Tama Cobra Power Glide I use also gets good reviews so maybe it is me after all. Or maybe a combination of factors. Interestingly I can control the bounce much better when playing heel down rather than heal up, but I think others find this also.
    Last edited by LovinLatinDrumming; 12-18-2012 at 02:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Speed King=bounce king!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Hmmm. So many choices. I've played plenty of kits (and hardware) but never Ludwig (though I know they are beautiful).
    So, Speed King, DW 9000... this is a good list to start with.
    Have you compared the Speed King with other pedals (as far as bounce is concerned)?
    Thanks
    Mapex Meridian Maple Kit
    Pearl Masters Premium Legend Snare + Piccolo Snare
    Zildjian K, Instanbul Agop Cymbals + Sabian AAX HH + Toca Traditional Conga/Tumba

User Info Menu

are you sure the bounce is not from the beater

User Info Menu

Hi Itchie, I can control the bounce until I start to push things speed-wise, especially on fast doubles - quick samba grooves that kind of thing. Of course if my technique were better (I am working on it) then probably that would improve things, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experimented with various pedals (and not just spring tension, head tension etc) to see if some pedals were generally better in this respect than other pedals. I have noticed when playing on some kits that for me it is better than others. But then there are other variables involved, of course. So any thoughts on pedal models? Thanks...
    Mapex Meridian Maple Kit
    Zildjian K, Instanbul Agop Cymbals + Sabian AAX HH + Toca Traditional Conga/Tumba

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, and (cos I didn't really answer your question about beaters) I have not tried other beaters. Mine is a firm felt (comes standard with Iron Cobra). I could change it. Recommendations? Wood? Soft felt? Plastic?
    Mapex Meridian Maple Kit

User Info Menu

I haven't tried either of these pedals, but the reviews and the concepts seem pretty good...Tama speed cobra, seems to have a spring under the pedal board to aid the "bounce" I'm assuming. You could look at the new JoJo Mayer model from Sonor. I'm very curious to try it myself. He was very instrumental in the concept and development of the pedal. If I were looking at a single pedal, I would probably choose these two. However, I think all brands have very good pedals available and it comes down to personal choice and then adapting to the pedal. Just my opinion. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Is your reso head ported? If not, cutting a hole in the front head will reduce beater bounce, but also will effect the sound...but perhaps not adversely....the air escapes quickly through the hole, but without it, it pushes back on the batter head, thus your beater....imho

User Info Menu

The DW9000 pedal I mentioned has a slightly heavier feel compared to the DW5000A and DW7000 pedals I own. This and examining your beater type and batter and reso combinations may lead you in the direction you seek to find.

User Info Menu

Funkyruss, I have an Evans EQ3 ported reso. I put it on a few months ago and, as expected, it certainly did help.
    Am thinking I am going to take look at some DW pedals when next in London (island of Jersey does not have a huge stock of kick pedals).
    I also realise that I need to do additional work on my bounce control technique, but I know from experience that the bounce is worse with this pedal than others I have tried.
    But thanks for your suggestions fellas.
    Mapex Meridian Maple Kit