Thread: 1963 Ludwig Super Classics

User Info Menu

Default 1963 Ludwig Super Classics

Okay, you guys must be sick of me by now right?

I found a guys selling a set of "1968 ludwigs" for $600 and over 3 weeks work my butt of trying to find something he would be willing to trade the kit for. I did not leave the guy alone until I found what he wanted. He agreed to trade for these 2 10" Teac reel to reels that I found. However he would not include the snare to try and make giving up his ludwigs easier on himself.

So I made the trade and when I went to get the drums I noticed something. The mufflers have Red felt. (red felt was no longer used after 1964 and white felt would have been used in 1968.) So these drums must be at LEAST 1964's. As I picked up the toms to carry them to my car I noticed NO SERIAL. (Serial numbers became a law in 1964). So these drums are earlier than 64.

Between the Keystone badge,
    No serial.
    and red felt.

I knew they were 1960-1963 drums.

I last night was looking closer on the inside of the shells and could hardly makeout the stamp as ludwig didnt seem to worried about smudged stamps. It looks eerily similar to an "8" as in "1968" but looking closely the "8" looks just like a "3"

The other day I was trying to find out what he would give me the snare for in a trade and he insisted I come get one of the 2 reel to reels as he has no use for them both.

I spent $100 on each reel to reel
    So I got these drums for $100 dollars.

PICS!:

They need a little bit of work but overall the are in good condition.
    Sizes: 13", 16", 22"
    These are the sizes that the Ludwig Super Classic outfit came in in the 60's and he has the matching snare that I'm trying to get him to give me.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Default Re: 1963 Ludwig Super Classics

Wow!!! Looks like what my '68 Ludwig green sparkle looked like before I stripped off the wrap. Nice score man!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow!!! Looks like what my '68 Ludwig green sparkle looked like before I stripped off the wrap. Nice score man!!!
    Awh man I would have killed for these to be in a green sparkle! lol
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Awesome deal, great kit
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

You made a fantastic deal with your bartering Zeta, now if that snare is a chrome 10 lug, you have to work something out with him, those snares are a "Have to Have" for vintage Ludwig collectors. Can't wait till you freshen them up and post some more pics. Don't let that snare slip away.

User Info Menu

Holy cow! What a score indeed. Love blue sparkle.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Well done Zeta! That's a nice looking kit that can be beautiful with a little TLC. Good luck on the snare!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    You made a fantastic deal with your bartering Zeta, now if that snare is a chrome 10 lug, you have to work something out with him, those snares are a "Have to Have" for vintage Ludwig collectors. Can't wait till you freshen them up and post some more pics. Don't let that snare slip away.
    I actually already have a 1964 ludwig chrome 10 lug snare Its in great condition I love my Supraphonic.

The snare he has for it is the matching Wood one as far as I know.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Hopefully you could score the matching snare drum off him. It'd be awesome to see this kit once it's set up.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Hopefully you could score the matching snare drum off him. It'd be awesome to see this kit once it's set up.
    Ill take pictures once its polished up a tad
    -Steven

User Info Menu

WOW!!! What a steal!. I have a set exactly like those in Gold Sparkle. Those are some great sounding drums. that must be a jazz fest snare. What in the world is he going to do with a single blue sparkle snare drum. I would pester the beejeezles out of him for it. Tell him what a sin it is to break up that set and that the other drums miss the snare desperately. Really, do what you can to get that matching snare. That Blue Sparkle has really held up well. Green would have been cool too but your lucky to have what you got. Get that snare.
    Even if you have to come off a couple hundred and something to trade.
    I can just see it all cleaned up and put together with the matching snare. Ohhhhhh man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a beautiful kit.
    Do you have the rest of the rail mount?
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

What a deal! If you don't get the matching snare, no big deal. You can always get something later. Get yourself an Acrolite or a Supraphonic and you'll be set! Congrats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    WOW!!! What a steal!. I have a set exactly like those in Gold Sparkle. Those are some great sounding drums. that must be a jazz fest snare. What in the world is he going to do with a single blue sparkle snare drum. I would pester the beejeezles out of him for it. Tell him what a sin it is to break up that set and that the other drums miss the snare desperately. Really, do what you can to get that matching snare. That Blue Sparkle has really held up well. Green would have been cool too but your lucky to have what you got. Get that snare.
    Even if you have to come off a couple hundred and something to trade.
    I can just see it all cleaned up and put together with the matching snare. Ohhhhhh man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a beautiful kit.
    Do you have the rest of the rail mount?
    Yeah I'm pestering him the best I can haha. I have let him know how much it sucks that the set has lasted this long and he wants to separate the snare drum now. I'm working on finding a trade for him/ making him feel like its wrong.

Yes the rail mount is all there! I just didn't realize i hadnt taken pictures until I started to take them apart
    Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    What a deal! If you don't get the matching snare, no big deal. You can always get something later. Get yourself an Acrolite or a Supraphonic and you'll be set! Congrats!
    Thanks man! Yeah I figured no big deal, but if its a jazz fest i want it lol.

I have 2 Acrolites and a Supra.
    64 supra
    68 and 70 acro
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I wish I still had my old 3-ply classic Ludwigs from 1973...........also had a nice Supra included.
    Had to trade them in on a new order for Gretsch USA Customs (which I still have).

Could not afford both at the time so I shouldn't gripe, but..............

I wish I still had my old 3-ply classic Ludwigs.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

A fantastic find indeed. Those should clean up very nicely!! Way to go man!!
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Wow! Congrats on the deal. Looks like a fun restore project!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Well, I think he will give it up eventually. "The Snare" but it is not the end of the world. We are still here today. The guy I got my set from was the original owner and he lent his matching snare out and it moved away. I would have loved to have had that matching wood snare.
    After restoring and cleaning mine up and making pics, I took the rail and cymbal mount off for safe keeping and use a snare stand for my tom. My bass drum is a 1958 and those dial tom holders I just don't trust. I have pics of that set in my images folder.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    A fantastic find indeed. Those should clean up very nicely!! Way to go man!!
    Thanks bud!

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    Wow! Congrats on the deal. Looks like a fun restore project!
    So far im enjoying, I need some claws and tension rods for the bass as half the claws are not ludwig and a decent amount of the rods are not. Also a blue sparkle hoop.

The bass drum is alot better shape after a couple days of work.

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    Well, I think he will give it up eventually. "The Snare" but it is not the end of the world. We are still here today. The guy I got my set from was the original owner and he lent his matching snare out and it moved away. I would have loved to have had that matching wood snare.
    After restoring and cleaning mine up and making pics, I took the rail and cymbal mount off for safe keeping and use a snare stand for my tom. My bass drum is a 1958 and those dial tom holders I just don't trust. I have pics of that set in my images folder.
    Yeah, I figure worst case my 64 supra will look pretty nice behind it. I'm debating take this idea from you, as the rail mount allows my bass to move when the tom is hit and the tom to move when the bass is hit.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

yum!