Thread: Bass Pedal or Hihat stand?

User Info Menu

Default Bass Pedal or Hihat stand?

I'm thinking about upgrading my hihat stand or my kick pedal. Not really sure which I should do first. I have a DW5000 kick pedal and a Tama Roadpro hihat stand. Looking at spending around $300 to $400 US$. I have thought about going to a double pedal but I find myself not really playing anything that requireds that type of playing. I love Heavy metal, but find myself playing more blues and classic rock. For around $400 I could get a DW5500 hihat stand and a Tama Speed Corba single pedal. I've tried the Speed Corba, Iron Corba, and the DW9000 pedal. I have to say I really like the Speed Corba. But man there is the little person in the back of my head saying I should get the Speed Corba Double pedal. If I did that, then I would only be able to get the pedal and not the Hihat stand too. Any thoughts?
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Dark Mocha Fade

Lugwig Supra-Phonic 6.5*14 Snare

14" Paiste Signature Medium Hats
    12" Meinl Classics Custom Trash Crash
    16" Meinl Byzance Trash Crash
    17" Paiste Twenty Thin Crash
    18" Paiste Signature Full Crash
    20" Paiste Signature Full Crash
    20" Meinl Byzance Dark Ride

DW 5000

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass Pedal or Hihat stand?

I personally love the DW5000. I have the 9000 right now, but if it ever breaks, I'm going to get the 5000 because I like it just as much.

Because of that, I would personally suggest to not do anything with your pedal (unless it's the single chain version, which in that case I'd definitely upgrade it) and just get a new hi-hat stand.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

whatever you feel is lacking the most I would upgrade first, personally I would get the speed cobra double then a speed cobra lever guide matching hi hat stand latter on. If you don't like the double bass then take off the slave side and beater and still use it. You might want to get back into it latter on. My 2 cents

User Info Menu

You need to upgrade from those?

Those are top of the line lol.

I'm using a DW5000 bass pedal and a Mapex 500 hi hat stand.

Maybe get a new snare, different heads, a cymbal?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I'd keep the 5000 and upgrade that Road Pro stand. Nothing is wrong with it but the Iron Cobra is better. And heavier. That sucker weighs a ton.

User Info Menu

They're both seriously sweet pieces of gear. Personally if I were you I'd be looking at a Speed Cobra Double Pedal, but I play a lot of metal.

User Info Menu

I feel that the hihat stand is just a little off. I've tried the DW5500 hihat stand and the feel of it was nice. Have not tried a DW9500 stand though, would like too.
    The DW5000 pedal compare to the Speed Corba felt heavy. Like it took more force to get it to go. I've tried so many different postions with the pedal I have and still can't get it right. Have not change the spring on it, not sure if that would make a difference.

DW 5000

User Info Menu

The Road Pro stand is "ok". It's not at the level of the Iron Cobra or the Speed Cobra hat stands though.

User Info Menu

You already have yourself a great pedal, for the hi-hat stand, I personally would change it to a DW for OCD reasons, but what you have there is great.
    Gretsch Drums/Zildjian Cymbals/DW hardware/Evans heads/Roc n' Soc throne/Vic Firth Sticks/

User Info Menu

I was in need of a better hi-hat stand this past summer. Not wanting to spend a ton of cash I went with the Pearl 900 series Hi-hat stand. It was $100.00 it's heavy duty, silky smooth and looks great also. Highly recommended. I really like Pearl hardware, I've used it for years and never had a problem.

I'd also recommend sticking with your DW 5000 pedal unless you really want to change to a double pedal. Right now Musicians Friend has the Pearl P-902 Double Pedal on sale for $159.99. A solid pedal for your first double and not a ton of money in case you decide double kick is not your thing. I may pick one up myself at that price.

User Info Menu

if you like the weightier feel of the 5000 series stuff Id get the 5000 hihat stand, otherwise the 9000 is very lightweight/smooth. The iron cobra hh stand is really great too. I wouldn't mess with your pedal either. For $400 you can get any stand.. the 9000 series hh stand is like upper 200's low 300's while the iron cobra stand is closer to $200.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

I run a roadpro hat stand and gig with it heavily, I've yet to have any problems with it. What specifically don't you like about it?

User Info Menu

It's just not as smooth as the Dw. I worked with the DW pedal yesterday, It's a lot better. I'm going to look at just getting a hihat stand now. Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

DW 5000