Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mike Mangini - Drummer

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mike Mangini

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Great drummer, worst signature drumstick ever, IMO.
    I like his sig sticks! Really similar to my regulars.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mike Mangini

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post
    ...and he was in Extreme
    I really like his drumming but not in Extreme. Their original drummer, Paul Geary, was much more straight forward, and groove oriented. It all sounded too busy and a little too heavy on "Waiting for the Punchline"

The new guy that Extreme has now - nails it. Better than Paul even.

I have a friend that is a huge DT fan and she's also a Portnoy fan, but agrees that MM fits in with DT perfectly.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mike Mangini - Drummer

I saw Mangini's audition for DT on youtube and you could tell from the beginning they wanted him.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    A really, REALLY top shelf drummer. Always liked all his stuff, especially with Annihilator.
    I lucked out and scored a Mike Mangini autographed Oriental trash that he played during a drum clinic at a tennesee drum store. Got it for less than new at GC. Still can't play like him. Lol
    Only a handful of players worldwide can "play like him"..............this is a model example of the term "Highly skilled".
    Nice cymbal score, BTW !

Quote Originally Posted by samowemeg View Post
    A very good fit for Dream Theater. Those guys seem actually happy now. I bet one reason is Portnoy "the drama queen" is no longer there. Not taking anything away from the guy's playing... He is a top notch drummer but being an awesome drummer and a crybaby are two different things. Oh boy... I hope I dont get too much heat for that comment...
    Heat ? Not a bit.............I totally agree with every word you said.

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I'd heard of Mike Mangini before but had not heard a lot of his playing until he joined DT. After watching the Live at Luna Park DVD several times he has quickly become one of my favorite drummers. He's quite an amazing drummer.
    Yes he is. I'd seen him with Vai and Extreme, but the fit and the platform/foundation with DT brings out his best..........an excellent band.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Dream Theater Breakng the Forth Wall , Live from the Boston opera house is amazing. Some of the most incredible drumming I've seen. Mangini is just on a different level the the rest of the drummers on the planet.

Oh and notice no tape on any drum heads.

http://youtu.be/Cs05SkAi6Rs

User Info Menu

Great musicians, very fun to watch, but they just seem to make random noise together. I have a couple of their DVD's, and love watching their instrumental acrobats, but don't have any of their music on my phone. Kind of like modern Jazz to me.

User Info Menu

Great videos. I really enjoy Mangini and his work with DT a lot.

User Info Menu

I was a big DT fan and a bigger Portnoy fan. But I will admit Mangini is a great drummer and fits very well with the guys.

I just don't understand his drumset setup. It's such an over reach it seems. Octobans way up high above the kit and cymbals in the sky.

User Info Menu

Last edited by slinky; 04-13-2019 at 12:04 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Man, that's pretty wild! Leave it to him to make buckets sound that good!

User Info Menu

Yep, that's a fun video to watch. You also get an view of how unusually long his sticks appear.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    Yep, that's a fun video to watch. You also get an view of how unusually long his sticks appear.
    That's because half of his kit is located in outer space....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    That's because half of his kit is located in outer space....
    Heck ya!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Mike's new pedal setup:

Mike Mangini’s drum tech Eric Disrude combined two Pearl Demon Drive bass drum pedals, so that both the left and right foot are playing a slave pedal. This allows Mike’s snare drum to be directly in front of him (where the main bass pedal would normally be). Eric Disrude also ensured that both kick drum beaters are hitting the center of the bass drum head, so that the same sound is generated by both the left and right foot.

here is video of him playing them

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN