Thread: hi, I am fond of playing drums but sometimes I miss a beat of a note

johan.jack Guest

Default hi, I am fond of playing drums but sometimes I miss a beat of a note

hi, I am fond of playing drums but sometimes I miss a beat of a note. I am in need of a good help! What can you suggest?

User Info Menu

Default Re: hi, I am fond of playing drums but sometimes I miss a beat of a note

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    This is going to sound like a smart a$$ answer but, practice. Practice the song slowly at first.
    Maybe smart a$$ like but it's true. Practice makes perfect. But do check out some YouTube videos. They have some great tips to become a better drummer.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Default Re: hi, I am fond of playing drums but sometimes I miss a beat of a note

Like Mark said, practice slowly. Believe me, I know how it is to want to just get in there and play. But you only get frustrated trying to play faster than you are currently able to. You need to build up technique and muscle memory first.

Most of all...have fun playing! There were a lot of times I tried something I wasn't ready for and that's when the fun and enjoyment disappeared.
    Rocka Rolla Woman

Mapex Black Raven
    14" Zildjian New Beat Hi Hats
    Zildjian 16" Fast Crash
    17" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    21" Zildjian A Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

i miss beats all the time but i make up for it by staying in the pocket. do you want to be a human metronome or a drummer?
    playing live, beats get lost in the mix, in the studio bring your A game
    Taylor Hawkins said in the Foos rocumentary that he thinks hes the worst drummer on earth when he first sits down in the studio striving for the perfect snare hit.
    like all have said, practice.
    in The Last Waltz Bob Dylan plays a wrong chord and looks at his bandmates with the "whoops" look, it happens.
    Last edited by kyle102565; 01-05-2013 at 10:00 AM.

User Info Menu

You know who never misses a drum beat? drum machines, soulless lifeless drum machines. Don't worry about it you are only human. All you can do is practice.

User Info Menu

Hey Johan we all miss a beat and I don't care at what level, we all do cause we are humans..

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat johan.jack!

Especially in the beginning, missed beats happen. Later on, missed beats happen because it's an off day, or for any number of reason, you're just not feeling it. As the interval clock develops, it will happen less and less. Just remember that music is felt, and the more you couple that interval clock/rhythm with the feel, the less you'll miss beats. Of course, the more sophisticated your drumming becomes, the more you'll allow some beats to remain drumless, as you create space within the music. Just make sure you enjoy the journey!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I just blamed it on the stick. Easy out.

User Info Menu

I love it Rick! Sometimes it's just soooo simple!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

One more thing to remember, "there are no mistakes, just new parts".

User Info Menu

Don't forget, for each missed beat you make the guitars miss ten times as many notes.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

All you have to do is count. You'll never miss a beat.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Unless your recording a cover of a song for profit, who cares if you miss a beat or a hit now and then. I always try to play the song note for note depending on the song. But other than that, don't worry about it. Playing music is an avenue which allows you to be able to express yourself. Have fun with it. Welcome to DC. Cheers.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Think of a missed beat as a "saved it for later" beat.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

And the beat goes on.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”