Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing out in my day / my story

User Info Menu

Default Re: Playing out in my day / my story

When I played out regularly over 30 years ago the live music scene in the Tri-State area was starting to wind down. For 2 years we played up to 4 nights a week all in local clubs within a 20 mile radius from where we lived. We arrived at each gig about 6 PM, loaded in, set up and played three 45 minute sets starting at 10:30 with 15 minute breaks in between. At one point we had a truck, a sound man and 2 roadies, who we paid $50 and $25 a night respectively, so we started each gig $100 in the hole. We typically played for the door and at $2 admission we barely broke even sometimes. During this period I was also attending college full time, many times just getting home in time to turn around and go to class. After a while we were pretty burnt out, but I'm glad I had that experience and wouldn't change a thing if given a chance.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

In this picture, see that wooden thing on the right in front of the keyboard player? That was an upright piano, it was very heavy.

User Info Menu

NPYYZ, that must have been a monster to move. How many guys did it take to get it on stage?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    NPYYZ, that must have been a monster to move. How many guys did it take to get it on stage?
    Fortunately it was on wheels so we ended up building a ramp so we could push it up on stage, that still took 3 of us. We played a club in New Hampshire called The Ranger Club, it was down a long flight of stairs to the club. Going down wasn't to bad but getting that thing back up those stairs was not fun at all. One step at a time. 4 guys two on each end.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Fortunately it was on wheels so we ended up building a ramp so we could push it up on stage, that still took 3 of us. We played a club in New Hampshire called The Ranger Club, it was down a long flight of stairs to the club. Going down wasn't to bad but getting that thing back up those stairs was not fun at all. One step at a time. 4 guys two on each end.
    How often did you have to tune it?

Our Keyboard player had to have his Baby Grand tuned once a month.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    In this picture, see that wooden thing on the right in front of the keyboard player? That was an upright piano, it was very heavy.

Awesome pic !
    Reminds me of the day.
    Me and the keyboard player hated the guitar and bass players............they would tune and plug in in 10 minutes and be ready to go.
    Keyboards and drums are always a real pain to set up and be ready to go.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Awesome pic !
    Reminds me of the day.
    Me and the keyboard player hated the guitar and bass players............they would tune and plug in in 10 minutes and be ready to go.
    Keyboards and drums are always a real pain to set up and be ready to go.

That still hasn't changed...........
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    How often did you have to tune it?

Our Keyboard player had to have his Baby Grand tuned once a month.
    Our keyboard player tuned it himself. Can't remember how often but I do remember seeing and hearing him do it.

User Info Menu

I miss the gigs themselves. The before and after, not at all, and for the last 20-odd years, we had roadies. Most of them were not experienced roadies, but rather young guys that thought it would be exciting to travel with a band.

They were paid a nominal amount to basically lug the equipment and get it in position on-stage. After that, the bass player and keyboard player did the rest. I always set my drums up (there would be no Portnoy hissy fits) so I knew that they were where and how I wanted them.

It was good times, but now, I am sooooooooooooooooooooo enjoying my retirement.