Thread: Getting back lost endurance

User Info Menu

Default Getting back lost endurance

Lately when I go to play my drums, I've only been playing for a matter of minutes when my hand/wrist/finger muscles start to hurt. I'm not really sure what the problem is...the only thing I can think of is that maybe I lost some of the muscle endurance because, up until the last few weeks, I didn't play my drums for several months before that. But that doesn't seem like very long considering the amount of difference there is...can you really get that out of shape in only four months? And I don't think it's a problem with technique or anything like that...I'm hitting the drums and holding the sticks the same way I always have, and there was never any problems before.

If it is in fact just loss of muscle endurance, does anyone have any tips on how to get back up to the point I was at before? Any drum exercises, warm-ups, etc...?
    Matt

User Info Menu

Default Re: Getting back lost endurance

I'm going through the same problem actually, frustrating as heck isn't it! I just try to do a lot more warming up that usual, I found that helps a bit. That and basic rudiments.
    Do you know what a blast beat is? If not used in a musical context, it can make a fantastic endurance exercise.

User Info Menu

When that happens to me it's because I'm trying too hard to regain what I lost over time-I'm gripping the sticks too tight-I'm in a hurry to get back the speed lost. Just warm up gradually with a lot of slower rudiments and approach your kit also with the warm up in mind. May take a week to make up for lost time.
    Last edited by slinglander; 01-07-2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: sp
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Yes, you can lose endurance in four months, not too much, but definitely a noticeable amount. It's frustrating to try and get back. I've learned from pushing myself to get back in the pool too quickly, and having several prior injuries, that it's best to take it slow. Just play stuff that's at a comfortable tempo for you to play for an extended amount of time. It helps to have a metronome or music to play to. Just make sure your technique stays good. Once you're playing fine for extended periods of time, throw some faster stuff in there on occasion during each session. Eventually you'll get back to where your were, or better.

I know the idea is easy. Having the patience to go through with it is another.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    ...up until the last few weeks, I didn't play my drums for several months before that.
    You answered your own question.

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    If it is in fact just loss of muscle endurance, does anyone have any tips on how to get back up to the point I was at before? Any drum exercises, warm-ups, etc...?
    Like any other muscle, you must rebuild them. Assuming you have a regular regimen of warm-ups/exercises, just use those daily until your chops are back. Time and practice sir, time and practice.