Thread: sticks

User Info Menu

Default sticks

what kinda sticks do you use?

i used to use 5A's but now I think im gonna switch to skewer sticks, they have alot more give to them, because there not solid like a drum stick

User Info Menu

pro mark 5a.

User Info Menu

Before I used Vater LA 5A
    Until I switched to Vic Firth 7A Nylons
    Now I'm a made man lol
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Pro Mark 5A for me
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

5A's when I practice I don't really care for the brand.
    7A/N Vic Firth or Zildjian Raw sticks.

User Info Menu

7A. In my opinion the most comfortable size.

drums-rock Guest

ahead joey jordison signutare sticks they complete me

User Info Menu

japanese white oak 5a from promark

User Info Menu

Vic Firth 7A Nylons,
    But ive seen some black zildjian 7a nylon ones. No difference, but they look goooood
    Listen, people, im sorry about the username. I know, its awful, but nevermind...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drums-rock View Post
    ahead joey jordison signutare sticks they complete me
    they are the alluminium?? how do they differ from wood/maple etc? i have electric kit and was thinking they may be better, but for £25gbp id like to know first
    I ONLY WANTED TO HELP YOU ROLAND

User Info Menu

does anybody use skewer sticks? lol

User Info Menu

do you mean like pro mark hot rods? ya i use those when im practicing, they arent to loud and i like them a lot

User Info Menu

there called hot rods arnt they.. okay thats another word I can add to my drum vocab. yea im talking about those, I use vic frith but mine are kinda beat up, and there kinda pricey, what about you, are yours pretty beat up too?

User Info Menu

I use Vic Firth HD4 and I have some of their rods as well, they're fun to mess around with.

User Info Menu

mabye I should think about getting new drum sticks, mabye some that are over 3 bucks, they have different tones on the ride, for all you people out there who are skeptical about different sticks havening different tone, my sticks have it!

User Info Menu

I use Pro-Mark 7a Millennium II hickory, wood tip and nylon tip. Very durable.
    I like Vater 7a hickory too. Since I usually order sticks online, sight unseen, I keep going with what I know.

If I come across some hickory 7a's with a nice thin neck, I'll get those, whatever brand. To me a thin neck = rebound. Too scared to by a bulk pack of cheap ones, afraid they won't be straight, I'll end up with a pack of tomato plant stakes.

I used to use 5a but I can't get the speed with them. I tried some Japanese oak 7a's with plastic tip but they wouldn't last a day. Broke 8 sticks in 2 days. No doubt it was my fault though. My theory is I was hitting the ride cymbal too hard with the tip (trying to get volume out of my cheap Pulse cymbals). And since the very tip of the stick is machined down to accept the plastic tip, it's weaker right there. And I guess being oak, they were stiffer and wouldn't bend, they'd break instead.
    Well, it did teach me to pay attention to how I hit my cymbals.

Blah blah blah lol.
    Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not just as good now as it was then.

User Info Menu

the hot rods are sweet, they make a great sound are incredibly easy to do rim shots with, which makes up for its quietness on the snare, the only downside is that sometimes if your playing really fast and hit the side of a drum or something, one of the skewers breaks, but that doesnt really affect it. I would recommend them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    I use Pro-Mark 7a Millennium II hickory, wood tip and nylon tip. Very durable.
    I like Vater 7a hickory too. Since I usually order sticks online, sight unseen, I keep going with what I know.

If I come across some hickory 7a's with a nice thin neck, I'll get those, whatever brand. To me a thin neck = rebound. Too scared to by a bulk pack of cheap ones, afraid they won't be straight, I'll end up with a pack of tomato plant stakes.

I used to use 5a but I can't get the speed with them. I tried some Japanese oak 7a's with plastic tip but they wouldn't last a day. Broke 8 sticks in 2 days. No doubt it was my fault though. My theory is I was hitting the ride cymbal too hard with the tip (trying to get volume out of my cheap Pulse cymbals). And since the very tip of the stick is machined down to accept the plastic tip, it's weaker right there. And I guess being oak, they were stiffer and wouldn't bend, they'd break instead.
    Well, it did teach me to pay attention to how I hit my cymbals.

Blah blah blah lol.
    i have some 7A hiccory, i stopped using them though becauuse they took off the "AAX" logo on my hi-hat

User Info Menu

Yeah I'm trying to take Pulse logo off of mine! Better go play some more...
    Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not just as good now as it was then.

User Info Menu

i use sound percusin 5b for practice by myself, and vic firth hicory 7a for real
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

i wanna get huge AA or B sticks for training. and for some reason im addicted to hot rods, i uses them for everything, although my ride doesnt sound like much because hot rods have a soft tip.. but they feel amazing