Thread: Using Water Based Dyes

User Info Menu

Default Using Water Based Dyes

Hi all,

I'm new to drum restoration but have been doing a few drum projects in the hope that I can make some money out of them, and I've been using spray paint for 2 of them but after a 'lacquer versus enamel' incident I thought about using water based dyes but have a few questions regarding them...

1) I've thought about using Liberon Wood Water Based Dyes, anybody ever used them before?

2) Do I have to rub them into the wood or could I brush them on? I was planning on doing some sort of pattern on them and would have preferred to brush them on for accuracy.

3) What sort of finisher would I need when using water based dyes? Lacquer wise or that kind of thing?

Thanks a lot!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Using Water Based Dyes

I'm no expert on this. I just asked a few questions at a woodworking store when I was looking into it a few years ago.

1) I can't help you.

2) You could probably do either. I'm not sure what the variables would be on which is best. As far as a pattern goes, it's not like paint. You're not going to get clean or straight lines. You could do fades and things like that, but the color will diffuse across the surface as far as it can. If you want two colors with clean lines, at least one of them would be painted. You could probably use a candy paint to make the illusion of having two dyed colors (the lighter color being the dye going on the entire drum first). I'm guessing there though.

3) Where ever you get the dye should be able to suggest a top coat for you. I don't think the water based dye is as picky as the oil based stuff.

Let me know if you find anything else out. I'm curious about all this as well.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Being a wood worker myself I would encourage you to get some scrap pieces of wood and try different techniques before moving to your prize possession. This, more than anything, will answer your questions, and, give you a chance to perfect your technique.

Regardless, post pics for us to drool over as you finish them!

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot for getting back to me!

Quikstang2 I've found some other dyes that look more like what I'd want and the website also has different varnishes so I'll get some help from customer services.

A question for you Texdrumr... I've read that stains don't work so well with wood filler, is this true? I can imagine they don't but the outside ply (the veneer i think its called?) has a 4mm gap spanning the depth of the drum and i don't know what to do! :/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Being a wood worker myself I would encourage you to get some scrap pieces of wood and try different techniques before moving to your prize possession. This, more than anything, will answer your questions, and, give you a chance to perfect your technique.

Regardless, post pics for us to drool over as you finish them!
    X50,000 ALWAYS do test panels before your drums. You can buy furniture grade plywood in small sheets to practice on. If you can't find the pywood in your specific wood species then choose something very close or try to find some wood laminate that is the same species and use that.
    Always do a test run!!