Thread: Had a bad practice session

User Info Menu

Default Had a bad practice session

Last night when trying to practice, I was just off all night. I got frustrated and angry. I threw my sticks against the wall... I couldn't get into a groove nor feel one for that matter

I was trying to learn the heel toe method. I just couldn't get it to work. I tried working on Tommy Igoe's Half Time Rock Groove #10 and Funk Groove #11. I couldn't get it. I started playing along with music that I have played along two for the last few months; I couldn't keep in time or get in a groove.

So, what do y'all do to cope with bad practice sessions?
    Mapex Pro M Cherry Fade
    Evans G2 / Genera Reso's on toms.
    Evans EC Reverse Dot on Snare
    Remo Powerstroke 3 batter / reso on bass.
    Can't find the right stick atm.
    Zildjian
    PDP and SP hardware
    Mapex Raptor Direct Drive and DW 7000 series Double Bass Pedals.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Had a bad practice session

ya have to have the bad days to know when your having a good day , right ? it happens to everybody . dont worry about it . it happens
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I say take a break from it and relax then try again another day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    ya have to have the bad days to know when your having a good day , right ? it happens to everybody . dont worry about it . it happens
    that's what i always say too, just keep plodding on, it'll come.

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I tend to get those once in awhile. I'm all pumped up listening to tunes in the car, but since my commute is so long when I get home I'm tired and I force myself to play. It doesn't always work out. You need to feel energized and enthusiastic about it otherwise it may turn out to be a bad practice.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

There are good days and bad days regarding performance in everything you do. Like at school, or at work, it's just magnified when it happens while being involved with something we're passionate about. It will pass. Take a break and I'll bet the next time you play you'll have an epiphany.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I walk away from the kit for a few days when I get frustrated or I'll just sit next to it and just stare at the hardware and find how dirty it is, then the chrome polish comes out and the rack gets a good cleaning and before long I'm polishing cymbals or tearing down the kit to reconfig the layout. So what I'm getting at is there's more to owning a kit than just jamming on it. When I get side-tracked on maintanence, I feel as though I'm my own drum tech and I tweek my kit until I feel like a drummer again. I've been repeating this cycle and its helped me through the rough patches we all get time to time.

User Info Menu

1) Relax.
    2) Just play.
    3) Kick an inanimate object.
    4) Repeat as necessary.

Atomcorr2 pretty much nailed it on the head....

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I suggest getting an egg timer. Work on something new for 5 minutes. No more. Do not allow yourself to play it incorrectly. Slow the tempo down to the fastest tempo you can play what it is you are trying to get without mistakes. Sometimes this can be painfully slow. Do it at that tempo for 5 minutes. Timer rings, get off the throne and walk away. do something else totally unrelated, take a nap, whatever. Then come back to it much later or (even better) the next day. I've found that when I can't play something, doing this, then sleeping on it. The next day I can play it, at least at a better tempo, again for 5 minutes, walk away. It's like you put the idea or concept of the rhythym or beat out there and then as you sleep your brain re-wires the connection from the brain to the muscle so that you are more capable next time. Eventually, mastery! And it becomes automatic.
    Cut it large and kick it into place!

User Info Menu

Frustration is normal emotion. It's up to you to control how it effects you.

1. Invite it. If you aren't getting frustrated - maybe you are not pushing yourself as hard as you can. It's hard to get outside your comfort zone and grow if you are not pushing yourself hard enough.

2. Control it. Don't let frustration control you. Once you realized you are getting frustrated, back off and pull back a little. Work on simplifying what you are doing and make the situation a little easier for you. Good practice, even if it's simpler, is more productive than bad practice.

3. Evaluate it. Try to understand why you are getting frustrated. Did you have a long day, are you tired, is there something on your mind? If you can pinpoint these variables - you can change them in the fututre, or at least work around them so you can reset your expectations.

4. Accept it. Don't let frustration let you quit. Frustration is a killer. Just understand that there are good days and bad days. The more you modify your routine/goal to a attainable level - the more you'll be able to progress.

5. Deal with it. Most importantly....understand that everything I just told you about dealing with frustration can sometimes be useless, and you just need to put the sticks down, grab a beer and watch TV.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I have bad practices after a 1/2 century playing these damn fool things.

Stick happens.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the suggestions y'all. I ended up just going to bed. I think the thing with me is I am some what of a perfectionist. I am really hard on myself. Especially when it comes to trying to be less tense when playing.

With the half time shuffle groove I was working on, I was good when I played all the notes straight on the ride cymbal. When I tried moving beats 1 & 3 to the bell of the ride, it just all fell apart.

I am heading out with friends to relax tonight after work. Maybe when I get home if it's not too late, I may sit down and work on only one thing just to see how I feel. I just may need a relaxer.
    Mapex Pro M Cherry Fade
    Evans G2 / Genera Reso's on toms.
    Evans EC Reverse Dot on Snare
    Remo Powerstroke 3 batter / reso on bass.
    Can't find the right stick atm.
    Zildjian
    PDP and SP hardware
    Mapex Raptor Direct Drive and DW 7000 series Double Bass Pedals.

User Info Menu

i'm having a bad month of practice.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I hate those, just like every one else said just step away for a day or too, and everything will be good again

Keep on drumming
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

for me i have to listen to music before i play, gets me in the mood.
    no different than seeing my wife dressed up to go out.
    it has to come from the soul otherwise just look at them until you're ready to sit on the throne.

JR Robinson told me to think of my wifes *** swaying to the beat as i play and it works!
    btw, my wifes hot!

User Info Menu

I recently had the same feeling. For some reason I felt like my legs were too heavy to do double bass on a song ive practiced many times. I tried the next day felt the same. Stopped for a day and went back to it the next and felt better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    btw, my wifes hot!
    Pics or it didn't happen lol!

User Info Menu

Smoke some herbage.

User Info Menu

I always try to do whatever exercise I am learning the right way a few times and then stop before I completely lose it. The next time I play it is a little easier. Practicing a few times throughout the day also helps.

User Info Menu

I snap my drumsticks over my knee, then throw the shards at the guitar player (it was his fault in the first place. Always is.), then I stomp off like a "fit having six year old" and go get a cold brew from the fridge. Sometimes I come back, sometimes I don't.

In all seriousness though, sometimes you just have to step away and come back at it again with a fresh mind and body. Those frustrating days make us better. They are a necessary evil to anything you do, whether it's sports, music or life in general.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

+1

Quote Originally Posted by xLRLL138RLRRx View Post
    Smoke some herbage.
    Heck of a first post............Welcome

User Info Menu

Well, certainly don't throw sticks.......or anything else at the wall. Where does that get you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    the one in white

heres a shot of me shocking the pastor and my new wife thinking "oh no here we go again"

name the caption
    Last edited by kyle102565; 02-08-2013 at 07:21 PM.

User Info Menu

I practiced like crap on Friday, then jammed later that night and loosened up and felt pretty good and had a great jam. Have no idea why that happens. Happens when I work out on the weights, too, run, play basketball. Hmm, I'm starting to notice a theme here. Hang in there, man, just keep working. You'll work right through it.