Thread: What do you Think?

User Info Menu

Default What do you Think?

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Basswood? I'm not even sure what that is. Also, in one of the reviews the person says that the kit is really light. Sounds like it could be kind of shotty.

User Info Menu

Looks like a nice set up that Mapex and the shells are 9ply which is a nice thickness but I never heard of basswood.

Funky is good with the woods, Im sure he got some advice.

User Info Menu

I know what basswood is. It is called "Lind" in sweden. Never heard of it being used in drums but at least we now know that it is a real tree and not just an anonimous "Hardwood".

User Info Menu

alot companies use basswood in thier lower line kits. the current trend is birch/basswood blends, like the pearl vision and tama swingstar. pearl at least thought it was good enough to replace the highest selling midline kit ever (export).
    personally it looks like you would be downgrading quallity for quantity. and thats okay too if thats what you really want and need. i think the catalina birch sounds even better than the mapex pro m, wich is better than the one in the link.

User Info Menu

Thanks again for the feedback people, sorry about changing my mind on this subject lol
    I think I might be staying with my Catalina.

User Info Menu

Good choice!

User Info Menu

32nd what type you got? britch ash maple?

User Info Menu

Birch

User Info Menu

what sizes were you after? 10 and 14? try seeing if you can find a fusion sized kit with the same finish and keep the kick, 10 &14 toms. that would make for a big 8pc kit. you will have an extra 12" and extra snare, but you can sell those off.
    just an idea. you could prolly buy one of the last birch kits for under 500 bucks. possibly less if you can find one still in stock at a guitar center.