Thread: Science fair project Drum help

User Info Menu

Default Science fair project Drum help

Hey guys, I would first like to thank you for being an amazing forum, and thank you for all the help you have given me. I have an engineering science fair project Idea to design a tom mount that has the least amount of contact to the shell without it being flimsy.
    Any Ideas or thoughts would be welcome, but I want you guys to tell me about what you think is the best tom mount that has come out already, so I can get an idea as to what to model it after. Preferably simpler Ideas, but anyhting is welcome. Thanks!
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Science fair project Drum help

Just my one zany idea!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Dang Sling... were you holdin' out on us?

As to the OP, the RIM system was probably the first accessory to come out years back to set the standard for other copy cats like the Pearl suspension mounting system. They were both designed to suspend the drum and keep it away from the shell as much as possible. Not sure if that helps you or not.

User Info Menu

That idea has some possibilities. It would have to be brand specific and made like that. Nobody is drilling holes through their shell.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Snare stand?

I've always been interested in the idea of mounting to to bottom, like taking a rims mount to the bottom hoop. I haven't thought it through but thats a starting point.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Snare stand?

I've always been interested in the idea of mounting to to bottom, like taking a rims mount to the bottom hoop. I haven't thought it through but thats a starting point.
    That is actually exactly what I am thinking about designing a RIMS system to the bottom hoop.
    BTW, I have always wondered why manufacturers haven't put snare baskets as tom mounts. Might be an interesting Idea.
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

make sure it doesnt come loose, i like the idea

User Info Menu

You know I'm clowning but this is cool...one tom does all.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the help guys! I've decided to make a mount that attaches directly to the rim with no shell contact, and have different holes in the actual mount to accomodate any kind of tom arm to the drum. ( I can't describe it very well, but it should work) I want to make it so that it can attach to any kind of rim of any drum, so that I can actually use it to increase the resonance of my drums ( I hate penetration mounts, especially with pearl tom arms, make my drums sound HORRIBLE) thanks for your help guys. BTW, Slinglander, that mount looks amazing. Maybe for another project sometime.
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

This idea is a padded, adjustable basket with side mount in which the tom sits in the basket, resting against the adjustable, sliding pads(no metal to metal contact).Pads would slide around the lugs. The basket hoops would be padded and diameter also adjustable but not tight against the shell
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

This is my prototype design for it, I'll be cutting down the hooks because they touch the drumhead a little, as well as taking the rust off of the old hinge and painting everything to make it look cool. This is my alternative to those 20-30 dollar after market systems, it cost me about 8 bucks to make it, and makes the drum sing.
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Maglev

User Info Menu

Snare stand?

Actually people use snare stands for tom mounts all the time. The problem is that it actually sucks a lot of the tone out. They're great though for a hip look and a muted tom sound.

User Info Menu

I can imagine that those hooks will scratch your rim pretty badly as you play. Each area supporting the rim should be coated in plastic or rubber.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Digital View Post
    I can imagine that those hooks will scratch your rim pretty badly as you play. Each area supporting the rim should be coated in plastic or rubber.
    Yeah, that's something I noticed. During my redesign stage I'll be cutting down the hooks and coating them in rubber.
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imnotverygood9 View Post
    This is my prototype design for it, I'll be cutting down the hooks because they touch the drumhead a little, as well as taking the rust off of the old hinge and painting everything to make it look cool. This is my alternative to those 20-30 dollar after market systems, it cost me about 8 bucks to make it, and makes the drum sing.
    Very creative imnotverygood9. It looks like a homemade Pearl ISS mounting system found on their entry level kits. The main gripe I have about this type of 'claw design' is the amount of stress put upon the hoop. As I see it, if you shorten the hooks, you'll decrease their holding power by shortening the fulcrum area for the hooks.

If you're goal for the science fair project was to copy an existing mounting system by merely using household products you met your goal but if you're assuming you've completely designed a new system, I see too many similarites with the ISS design.

I've had the Pearl ISS mounting system fail on me several times. The issue for the failure in my opinion was due the flexing of the triple flange hoop as it tried to hold the entire weight of the tom with the short claws of the ISS mount. As the tom bounced up and down during playing, the claws loosened up and the tom fell off and hit the floor.

To avoid such future disasters, I use a second ISS mount located at the 2 o'clock position on the hoop as seen in the pic below. The tom sounds a little choked off with both claws bolted onto the hoop but better safe than sorry

Although I feel the Pearl Optimount system is not without some flaws of its own, is an improvement over the ISS design by far!

Pearl Optimount contact area with top hoop:

User Info Menu

Snare stand?
    My first thought, exactly.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cole1paul View Post
    Actually people use snare stands for tom mounts all the time. The problem is that it actually sucks a lot of the tone out. They're great though for a hip look and a muted tom sound.
    The thing is, do not tighten the snare stand. To prevent choking.

I use a vintage snare stand, the kind that the drum just sits on it and is not clamped in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    My first thought, exactly.
    Maybe a clamp mount with a snare basket off of a cymbal stand would be cool.
    -Steven