Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Densmore

User Info Menu

Default John Densmore

Drummer: John Densmore
    Main Style: Rock
    Main Band: The Doors
    Brief Summary:

Other Facts: Live at the Hollywood Bowl was on tv last night which brought this on. I searched and searched again and his name didn't come up so unless my search button isn't working thought i'd write a bit about him. I really got into the Doors for awhile i mean always knew of them but for a time really paid attention to the records and John's unique way that fit the music so well.

John did all his cool little accents in that show and it's a lot of fun to watch. If anyone gets the opportunity to see it maybe take an hour (you younger guys) and enjoy the dynamics.

My favorite album has got to be LA WOMAN. Love The Changeling, The Wasp, the title track and what can you say about Riders On The Storm the serenity of that song is almost scary.
    Last edited by slinky; 01-13-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: John Densmore

Good call slinky. He was definitely the right drummer for the Doors. I will also say that the more I grow as a drummer, the more I appreciate his playing. BTW, no love for Light My Fire? LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I used to do "Roadhouse Blues" with a covers band a number of years back. It's just one of those shuffles that you have to get right or it doesn't groove right. I'm surprised no one did a John Densmore thread, nice of you to have started it Slinky.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Good call slinky. He was definitely the right drummer for the Doors. I will also say that the more I grow as a drummer, the more I appreciate his playing. BTW, no love for Light My Fire? LOL
    Great song too. I belive John played Ludwig during The Doors. The finish he had in that video looked like wood grain but was kinda hard to see. Would've been really cool if the camera moved to him more.

He was in The Doors movie that came out in the early 90's at the end he played himself in the studio talking to Jim. Ray Manzarek said that movie could've been better but Oliver Stone didn't want his input?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...nBGRRZEa1uwMyg
    Last edited by slinky; 01-14-2013 at 05:50 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

"Break On Through"....one of my fav tunes from the Doors....

User Info Menu

Love John Densmore and his work with The Doors!:

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-02-2019 at 06:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I belive John played Ludwig during The Doors. The finish he had in that video looked like wood grain but was kinda hard to see. Would've been really cool if the camera moved to him more.
    I believe he used a Ludwig Mod Orange kit on the vids I've seen just like the one in the OP.

User Info Menu

Densmore is a bombbay door opening up

User Info Menu

isolated drums / Touch Me
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-02-2019 at 06:35 PM.

User Info Menu

wow I never realized that was such a Tom heavy song.. truly an UNDERRATED drummer IMO.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I always felt he was a fantastic drummer that rarely gets acknowledged. Lots of other drummers were bringing a Jazz influence into their music at the time...but there's just something about his playing. It's always spot-on for the song and carries it beautifully. He's a very "busy" drummer, but never sounds like he's overplaying. Very smooth and tasteful. It's like he's playing keyboards...except on the drums. Plus, anyone who can associate with Jim Morrison for like 6 years and come out alive (and still able to tie his own shoes and feed himself ) deserves some acclaim.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Great drum track! Thanks Olimpass...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Great drum track! Thanks Olimpass...
    loving the isolated drum tracks!

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-02-2019 at 06:35 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I think Densmore is similar to ginger baker in a way. Listen to the drumming to “ touch me” and they are very similar although both truly unique.

User Info Menu

people are strange

User Info Menu

^^Very cool! Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    No resos on the rack or floor tom. I'm wondering if the kick had a pillow? Sounds pretty "thuddy" on the drum track.

User Info Menu

I’m thinking of re-wrapping my small Bop kit in Mod Orange. If I do, I’ll have find a turtleneck and a pair of those striped “Brady Bunch” pants, LOL.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Brady Bunch pants

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I’m thinking of re-wrapping my small Bop kit in Mod Orange. If I do, I’ll have find a turtleneck and a pair of those striped “Brady Bunch” pants, LOL.
    hahaha!

User Info Menu

Marsha, Marsha, MARSHA!!
    -Brian

User Info Menu

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Really enjoyed that, thanks Slinky!

User Info Menu

Great video! I'm a huge Densmore fan. I always wanted to hear that two bar bosa nova intro to "Break On Through" but it flies by so fast before the band joins in. Now, I can hear it cleanly because of the video you posted slinky......Muchos Garcias!