Thread: No cash

User Info Menu

Default No cash

If you had no money for cymbals but had to have something to get your kit upto scratch fro practice again... What would you buy? Im thinking planet z's but maybe there is something better for same price...... or alot better for a little more?

I gotta get my old trashed kit working again coz im going crazy.

PS im talking cymbal packs.
    Last edited by Stevo42w; 08-13-2007 at 08:44 AM.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

thats a tough one man, those sound really really bad. zbt sounds golden compared to planet z, and you know how i feel about zbt already. zbt is absolutly acceptable for practice and low exposure gigs and i bet you could ebay an entire set of used zbt for about the price of the planet z pack ($109.99 us dollars).

User Info Menu

Stevo, I'm sorry to hear about your cash flow problem! Been there, done that!! You have my sympathies.

When you say that you have no money, I am assuming that you are thinking about a future purchase, and that you want to save up some cash to get cymbals, but that you are willing to sacrifice quality and a long wait for cheap and quicker. Although I am sure that everyone would caution against such a move, I understand your desire to have something that can inspire you continued drumming development.

If Planet Z's are all that you can afford, at the moment, I would say go for it. If you thought you could wait a bit more, and score something better, I would recommend it. The decision is completely up to you, because only you know how long you've waited so far, and only you know whether you'd be OK with the sound of the Planet Z cymbals.

Good luck my friend.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Have any drum shops in the area that carry used cymbals. Might be able to pick up a set of Sabian B-8s or a similar quality that someone else has traded in on an upgrade. I always check what's available used before I buy instruments but we're fortunate enough to have sevral music retailers in the area that take trade ins.

User Info Menu

i honestly dont know what I would do, do you have ANY cymbals at all? because even 1 real crap 1 will do, as long as you have one

User Info Menu

Planet Z's are fine, but the ZBT's are much better for the price, but if you have a cash flow problem now, buy the Planet Z's and when the money starts to 'flow' again buy something a lot better. Unless you are willing to save up for the ZBT's in that case buy those and work your way up to ZHT's or something eventually.

User Info Menu

Well i need somethin to last me into the second year of my apprenticeship coz then ill have enough income to loan money for a reference with cymbals and decent peddle. As for now. Im desperate for something to practice on. thats it.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Planet Z's will do you fine. However if you think that those are a little to 'weak' for you buy the ZBT's.

User Info Menu

Wuhans. I just thought. I just found Some for 189 American..... S series. I wonder if they will post them...

Or i saw some sonars on ebay. 14" hats and a 18" Crash ride for 129$ au incl. Postage.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

well u know what kevin says, they are great cymbals.

User Info Menu

if you can do the extra little bit, the wuhan are a good choice. they will at least cut thru amped music. planet z really wont. the decay is gone before the next beat. if you are just practicing and nobody will really hear them but you or you just need something there to hit... you can do fine with the planet z, we all have our tolerence of what we can deal with hearing. i'm just picky because i have been there and done that, (80s schimitars) it sucked.
    whatever you get, and believe me, anything you get for those prices is prolly going to be less durable. as you said you need them to last a couple years, you will have to play carefully not to destroy them. wich usually happens when people hit them harder to try and get more sound out of them than the cymbal can produce.

like i said it all depends on your tolerence level.

User Info Menu

Wuhans man, I love mine 16" S series, still holding up great, sounds awesome, and looks good, specially after you take off the stupid logo.

User Info Menu

check out tosco..theyre b20..maybe sabian xs20? or meinl sound caster

User Info Menu

prolly a little pricey pricey.

User Info Menu

If you have access to a lathe, buy cracked cymbals off of ebay for $10-$15 each and cut them down. You can get some cymbals of higher quality material for very little cash.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

im gonna looka t these sonors because its only 120 and i only need them for 6months thats all.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

i dont know for sure, but i imagine the sonor are comparable to the pearl cymbals that pearl puts out with its cheapest kits. you might accually do better with planet z.

User Info Menu

okie dokie...... I may try get some ordered off ebay tonight. I guess thats the cheapest way to get some planet Z's
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters