Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to old for start set???

User Info Menu

Default to old for start set???

I mostly a mallet percussion player ._.
    Sophomore in hi school and playing vibes for our "pit" in marching band.
    this was us last year http://youtube.com/watch?v=XciuSRXdemU
    Lincoln-way East Marching griffins lol

I was just wondering if 15 was to old to start set ._. all my friends started at like 10.

thanks! :boomcrash:

User Info Menu

Its never too old mate. Besides at 15 you are definately not too old. By the time your 18 you will be kickin some serious bass.

Welcome to Drum Chat

User Info Menu

i started at age 15

User Info Menu

I started at 13. I went to school with some kids that were "much" better than me and they didn't start until they were in their 20's. It's all in how you apply yourself.

User Info Menu

Cool too old to start set???

No! No! No!

15 is not too old to start! Since you've got a couple of years under your belt with the mallets, you already have some sense of rhythm; it's just a matter of transferring it from the vibes to the drum set...if anything, lwe, you're already ahead at some of the dudes who started at 10...

Go for it, bro'!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lwe_pit_member View Post
    I mostly a mallet percussion player ._.
    Sophomore in hi school and playing vibes for our "pit" in marching band.
    this was us last year http://youtube.com/watch?v=XciuSRXdemU
    Lincoln-way East Marching griffins lol

I was just wondering if 15 was to old to start set ._. all my friends started at like 10.

thanks! :boomcrash:
    I started at 37, it's never too late.......

User Info Menu

I'm 18, I started 2 months ago :D. As Tommy Igoe said: Music is not a race, enjoy at your own pace
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    I'm 18, I started 2 months ago :D. As Tommy Igoe said: Music is not a race, enjoy at your own pace
    dude, thats such a cool saying, never heard it before, thanks bro, im gonna remember that always

User Info Menu

^ yeah really nice saying. Its never too late
    Paiste Posse
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

User Info Menu

its easy to get caught up in how other peoples progress is compared to yours.

User Info Menu

not too late at all, we have members here that are just getting started from mid 30s to mid 50s.

User Info Menu

absolutely not man, iv been alot of people who started at a young age, actually most people i know who play drums have played earlier then me, that doesnt mean anything though, Music is not a race, enjoy at your own pace :D. Plus some people dont start till there in there 50's! or older O.O... so id be pretty happy at your age.

User Info Menu

lwe - you're still a baby, my friend! And I mean no disrespect by saying that. Now is the perfect time to start playing! You're mature enough to know what you want, yet young enough to still have the stars in your eyes. Talk to Pastor Bob - he just recently started playing and I believe he is in his late 30's - yet he still has a childlike wonder and amazement everytime he learns something new - kinda like all of us! You're never to old to start something new. Listen to a few of the people around here - there is so much talent, knowledge and inspiration within this community that you will be amazed. You have come to the right place - read my sig about encouragement - around here you won't find anything but! Welcome to Drum Chat and grab those sticks... you're in for a fantastic ride!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Stix - PB is in his 50's, not 30's.

Regardless though - no way is 15 too old, not even close. I was about 14 or 15 when I started playing/learning - and you having a percussion grounding already should help the learning process allot as you will already understand rhythm, timing, your hand skills hould be fairly good aswell. It will just be getting your foot going and adapting to a full kit setup - the inter-dependence thing. But yeah, anyway - 15, too old? crazy, crazy kids these days.......
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

hey Andreeew - you is that in your avatar?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

The guy in my avatar is drummer Jukka Nevelainen from Nightwish :D
    sorta my favorite band at the moment :D
    Paiste Posse
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

drums-rock Guest

its never too late for anything man and welcome

User Info Menu

CMP, thanks for the heads-up re: PB - I thought he was just a bit older than late 30's but I didn't want to guess too wrong and embarrass myself. I'm sure he'll be happy with my downward estimate!!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Stix, you da man!! I do appreciate the lower estimate!

As to the question of whether you're too old to start, it all depends on your goals for drumming. I might be a bit too old to have visions of a professional career, but then I started drumming for me. I hope one day to drum for my church, but even if I never do, I will learn for me, just because I always wanted to do it!

Are ou too old, lpm? No way! You might have twice the talent of someone who started ahead of you. You might also have half the talent, but twice the desire. I say go for it, and see where it takes you. You might be surprised!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

15!!!!!! How lucky

I just started at 46.

Never to old, have fun

User Info Menu

Yea, 15 is definitely not to young. Plus playing a xylophone/vibraphone w/e can give you some mad chops.

User Info Menu

heck, if you start when your 90, have fun with the few months you'll have playing drums ok mabye not

User Info Menu

15 is a great age to start, but so is any age! I started at 17 and played till I was 25,then just started back after 12 years off. Your vibe skills will transfer right in both rhythmically and musically (not that rhythm isn't music, you understand), but you should have a great sense of tone and reading. And don't worry about your friends' skills. Learn from them, but play because you love it!

User Info Menu

Good points, astafford, and may I say, welcome to DrumChat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

First of all welcome to drumchat lwe_pit_member!!!
    About the age now..You are young man!!!
    Do you know that some professional drummers started to play when were many years older than you??
    Just relax and play drums!