Thread: DW2000 issue

User Info Menu

Default DW2000 issue

I have a DW2000 that doesn't feel "fast" enough for me on the rebound. When I lift my foot, I'd like the pedal to snap back faster. Right now, my foot is moving down when the pedal's moving up, so I net a fat zero on my kick.

Is there anything I can do to it? My spring is set for as much tension as possible. I thought about finding a way to add another spring to make it shoot back faster. Can anyone recommend anything or am I in the market for a new pedal?

Chris

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW2000 issue

New spring or new pedal. The 2000 isn't exactly the standard in quality, it's a working man pedal that doesnt have the features that many might want.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

The more you tighten that spring, the more force is required to strike the kick head. This may be more of a technique issue depending on wether you bury the beater or not.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

The slowest part of my pedal is me !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Hey Penguin. The DW2000 is a entry-level pedal. Step up to the DW3000 pedal and it has a bearing in the spring rocker assembly housing which the DW2000 pedal lacks. This may account for the lack of speed you feel as the pedal rebounds back from the bass drum batter head. As you mentioned, this might be a good time for an upgrade.

DW2000 single bass drum pedal:

DW3000 single bass drum pedal:

I use two DW model pedals. The DW5000A and the DW7000 (discountinued and re-branded as DW3000). The DW7000 with the turbo cam has a more narrow footboard compared to the DW5000A. I like the thinner footboard because it feels lighter and faster than the DW5000A.

DW5000A double bass drum pedal:

DW7000 turbo double bass drum pedal:

User Info Menu

Save yourself all the hassels and get an Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northern redneck View Post
    save yourself all the hassels and get an iron cobra
    +1
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    +2

And now since they come with the "Cobra Coil" which is basically a big spring underneath the pedal board, that pedal will shoot back at your foot very quickly :D. And you can remove it if you want to.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    The slowest part of my pedal is me !

That could be said for a lot of us.

User Info Menu

If the spring tension's maxed out and you're getting that problem, personally I'd say it's time for a new pedal mate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    New spring or new pedal. The 2000 isn't exactly the standard in quality, it's a working man pedal that doesnt have the features that many might want.
    It didn't take me long to figure that out. But it's a HUGE upgrade from the sound percussion pedal that came with my kit. And, I got it on clearance at Best Buy for $20 because they were closing the music store inside. If I had seen other pedals, I would have tried them out, but probably wouldn't have know what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    The more you tighten that spring, the more force is required to strike the kick head. This may be more of a technique issue depending on wether you bury the beater or not.
    I've thought about that as well. Tried different things, but it still comes back to the rebound being too slow. And I'm too cheap and uncoordinated for a double pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    +2

And now since they come with the "Cobra Coil" which is basically a big spring underneath the pedal board, that pedal will shoot back at your foot very quickly :D. And you can remove it if you want to.
    I just checked those out and they look pretty nice! Haven't checked the pricing yet, so I hope they're budget friendly...

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    If the spring tension's maxed out and you're getting that problem, personally I'd say it's time for a new pedal mate.
    I'm thinking the same thing.

User Info Menu

The current 2000 is pretty much the original 5000 pedal and the issue you're having is probably due to a couple of things.

1. - Crappy spring. DW sells replacement springs for their pedals and come in different resistances, you need the heavy duty spring instead of the crappy factory one that comes on the pedal.

2. Chain flex. Single chain and strap drive pedals have a fair amount of flex in them, giving the pedal a soft feel, which some guys like, but they aren't particularly efficient. This is why modern high end pedals typically have double chains or direct drives.

You may also want to try lengthening the throw on your beater. This will take a split second longer to reach the head, but it will also give you more force heading into the head, and thus more coming back. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips Matt. I'll try them out. As far as springs, can I just use any heavy duty pedal spring from Guitar Center or does it have to be DW?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Thanks for the tips Matt. I'll try them out. As far as springs, can I just use any heavy duty pedal spring from Guitar Center or does it have to be DW?
    In the mean time of messing around with your current foot pedal, you could be saving up to get a double chain dw 5000. The double chain versions are beast.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

I suspect any heavy weight spring will do the trick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MattDrums View Post
    1. - Crappy spring. DW sells replacement springs for their pedals and come in different resistances, you need the heavy duty spring instead of the crappy factory one that comes on the pedal.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDrums View Post
    I suspect any heavy weight spring will do the trick.
    I have the DW 7000 series double pedal and had the same issue. I changed the springs to a DW heavy duty spring which helped. I'm not sure about other manufacturer springs. I bought DW because they were readily available at that time. I'm sure there are others that would work just as long as they are similar and they will fit your pedal without issue. For a couple bucks, I would try a heavier spring first before running out and spending a lot of money on a new pedal.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

A heavier weight spring, longer beater arm and heavier beater head may work, otherwise get a Speed King, be a rebel, amaze your other drummer friends!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Speed Cobra will fix all

User Info Menu

Replace the spring

search "high tension bass pedal spring" and you will see them for roughly $5-$10(usd)

I think dw has a spring thats actually called a high tension.

If that doesn't work then you are only out a couple bucks, if it does then you can wait to spend big money on a nicer pedal that you want.

Otherwise I strongly suggest the mapex falcon or raptors.
    -Steven