Thread: John Mayer - Neon drum cover

User Info Menu

Default John Mayer - Neon drum cover

Hello folks,

We're having our annual weekend-long snow flurry in January that's bringing the entire country to a halt. So, I've been stuck indoors playing my drums which is no bad thing I suppose .

Anyway, I've done a cover of one of another one of John Mayer's tracks. It's called 'Neon' and I believe that Matt Chamberlain played on the record in the studio. It sounds simple to play but it's got a great feel. When playing it, it felt like it wanted to push the time feel to feel natural - like you have to play 'on top' of it.

Any thoughts/feedback/constructive criticism most welcome!

On the subject of drum covers, I've been learning a fair bit of odd-time, complex material lately which is great but when I sit down to do a drum cover, I never want to do a song which doesn't just feel good naturally, like this one. Feel speaks for itself, whereas complex drumming only speaks to the people who know what to look for. This song was deceptively difficult for me but I feel as though it has more worth than learning playing for the sake of it being difficult - I don't 'feel' the more difficult tracks as much as tracks like this. Perhaps it's because I haven't embraced them enough to have a proper go on camera. I don't know...

Anyway, thanks for watching!

HAPPY NEW YEAR

User Info Menu

Default Re: John Mayer - Neon drum cover

Really love the cover - you gave it an awesome feel!

Are you using the sounds from the drum module or from something like superior drummer? Either way it sounds amazing

User Info Menu

Default Re: John Mayer - Neon drum cover

Hello Grace !

Many thanks for your kind words.

The sounds are from Superior Drummer 2.3, using the Hit Factory expansion - I was surprised at how much the snare in particular just fitted with the original recording. I'm not in a position to record acoustically at home so, until I am, I'm more than happy to use Superior Drummer!