Thread: Evans Level 360 Heads

User Info Menu

Default Evans Level 360 Heads

Fresh from Evans right here.

"Introducing Level 360 — the revolutionary new drumhead technology that's staking a claim for the freedom of drummers everywhere. Freedom to spend more time playing not tuning, jamming not cramming, and expressing themselves with tonal range like never before. From here on out, Evans drumheads will be leading the charge across the board into a new era of innovation & superior performance all-around — 360 degrees to be exact.

All 6-20" polyester film heads include the Level 360 collar."

This looks pretty neat, I'll definitely be checking them out in the future. I like the idea of a steeper collar, and they don't sound too bad.

So far, what are your thoughts on these heads?
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans Level 360 Heads

Always good to see a successful company not resting on that success but continuing to develop their products. I will be watching this thread with interest. Thanks for giving us all the 'heads' up!

*hangs head in shame at the very poor pun*

User Info Menu

I got the email from Evans this morning. Interesting.

User Info Menu

I hope they are better than the EC2's cause I think they were their last new invention. I use the EC2's it is just the idea now I am going to have to try those out. Gas.

User Info Menu

I guess I really don't understand the difference a steeper collar would make.

It seems that any "variance"..........in the head, where it doesn't sit perfectly all the way around, would be remedied by the rims, am I wrong?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I guess I really don't understand the difference a steeper collar would make.

It seems that any "variance"..........in the head, where it doesn't sit perfectly all the way around, would be remedied by the rims, am I wrong?
    Yes. But the point, i believe, is to make them faster and easier to tune, without loosing sound quality. I am very interested in trying them out. Coming from a guy who has broken heads during a show and had to replace a tom head in the middle of a show these heads sound like a great improvement.
    Life, like drumming, is only as good as you make it.

User Info Menu

Looks interesting. I'd say it's interesting enough to give it a try.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

This is one of the many things I love about DrumChat. I learn new things everyday by hanging out and cruising the board. Thanks for the quick post on this new drum head DrumRookie! I'm going to check them out!

User Info Menu

Am I right in thinking that this is not a new head, per sé, but a new way of making heads that will be applied to the entire Evans product line? So, G2 heads will come with the Level 360 design as well as EC2's?

User Info Menu

they look like they sit on the drum better ,i really dont know what that changes with tuning , it might , but i just dont know .. i tend to not believe company reps, not that they dont tell the truth, but too many times ive caught them not telling the whole story. looks like it could be a good idea though. lol i'll let a few thousand of you guys try them first before i get them . could be a great thing, or could be another great innovation that really does nothing . time will tell ....
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    Am I right in thinking that this is not a new head, per sé, but a new way of making heads that will be applied to the entire Evans product line? So, G2 heads will come with the Level 360 design as well as EC2's?
    that was my understanding from the ad copy.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

well i just tried something . i have a new set of pinstripes here that i got for christmas that i havnt used yet .so i thought id try these heads to see how they sat on my drums. i put a new head on my 16 inch floor tom , it sat very flat and would even spin just like the one on the vid. i dont have any evans heads to see how they sit .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    well i just tried something . i have a new set of pinstripes here that i got for christmas that i havnt used yet .so i thought id try these heads to see how they sat on my drums. i put a new head on my 16 inch floor tom , it sat very flat and would even spin just like the one on the vid. i dont have any evans heads to see how they sit .
    Its like they solved a problem nobody really had.

User Info Menu

I agree with Atomcorr2 on this. Every Evans heads that I ever put on my drums always sat flat and spun around no problems. I am talking about the G1's, G2's and EC2's. So like NR has pointed out they solved a problem that nobody had.

User Info Menu

They're also claiming a wider range of tuning, more specifically in the lower end, than "traditional" heads. I take it to mean you can get a lower more consistent pitch out of the 360 head vs a non 360 head because of the design. This all sounds neat, but I can echo the same statements about past Remo heads being just as flat and spin-able.

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet either. However my local drum shop dude has had them as a test for Evans for a few months now and told me yesterday these are the real deal. Proof will be in the playing!

User Info Menu

This is modern drum "innovation". Nothing against EVANS, they make a fine product, but all they've really done here is fix a defect in their manufacturing process and then put it through the spin machine so they can sell it as some hot new approach to head making.

User Info Menu

Like I said before been using Evans heads for 10 years and never had an issue with the heads not seating properly on the drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAnthony View Post
    Proof will be in the playing!
    .............yep, I'll probably try them out because I'm a sucker for new stuff.........we'll see if they make any difference

User Info Menu

i can't believe it took drumheads companies this long to figure this out. The whole reason timpani are built the way they are. Just sayin
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

somehow they must know when i'm finally starting to settle on a head combination....... i'm skeptical about how much difference it's actually gonna make but now i have no choice in the matter, i have GAS, i'm gonna have to order new heads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    i can't believe it took drumheads companies this long to figure this out. The whole reason timpani are built the way they are. Just sayin