Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What genre of music do you play.

User Info Menu

Default Re: What genre of music do you play.

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Praise/worship, classic rock, red dirt, country.
    What is "Red Dirt"?

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Whatever put the money on the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I play classic rock and blues.
    Definitely, whatever pays.................I've played several different styles over the years, but Classic Rock and Blues are my favorite...........just because that's what I love to listen to.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Heavy metal.
    Marko, haven't seen you post in awhile..................did you get a new place yet?

User Info Menu

The band I work with plays a variety of Classic Rock, Rock, Blues, Funk, Jazz, 80's Pop, Latin and Country. Pretty much covers most of the bases.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Marko, haven't seen you post in awhile..................did you get a new place yet?
    Nope. Settling TOMORROW! I'm pumped. It's been an "experience" buying this foreclosure property. Moving this weekend.

User Info Menu

What is "Red Dirt"?
    Look up a few of these on youtube...Reckless Kelly, Cody Canada & The Departed, Turnpike Troubadours, No Justice.

It's a sub-genre (what isn't), of and a mix of several things like classic rock, blues, country, folk, etc.

User Info Menu

70's & 80's Punk (The Clash, Stranglers, 999, Gang Of Four, The Damned, etc) though we're not averse to a bit of early 70's glam rock!
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

currently country.... i've played it all though. i can do whatever the job calls for. as long as i'm playin i'm having fun.

User Info Menu

I usually play rock, metal, stuff like Rage Against The Machine (not sure what genre), and jazz.

User Info Menu

with my band its mainly indie/80's style rock, but i practise a range of music cause it helps not get too narrow minded with beats between styles

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    intelligent dance music
    Um?

I play mostly Death Metal, a bit of Thrash here and there. I'm getting into Funk, Latin and Jazz a lot these days though.

User Info Menu

Progressive Rock/Metal, Heavy Metal, Classic Rock, 80's-90's Rock/Metal.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

classic rock, and something like this.

https://soundcloud.com/#the-warp-the...-the-dye-rough
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Metal. Progressive, power, death, groove, core, funk, speed, thrash, etc. I play a lot of metal. I also play some heavier rock occasionally, to branch out a bit
    Last edited by xweasel; 01-25-2013 at 05:09 AM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Metal. Progressive, power, death, groove, core, funk, speed, thrash, etc. I play a lot of metal. I also play some heavier rock occasionally, to branch out a bit
    I approve.

User Info Menu

Nope. Settling TOMORROW! I'm pumped. It's been an "experience" buying this foreclosure property. Moving this weekend.
    Great to hear the move is almost done.............post some pics when you get a chance................does it have a cool "stone-walled" basement like your old place? That was the perfect background for your kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Look up a few of these on youtube...Reckless Kelly, Cody Canada & The Departed, Turnpike Troubadours, No Justice.

It's a sub-genre (what isn't), of and a mix of several things like classic rock, blues, country, folk, etc.
    Thanks, didn't know they even had a name for it, I like it.............reminds me of a mix between Skynyrd, Seger and Dylan

User Info Menu

I used to call it rock and roll but since there are so many variations of R&R, I go with blues based R&R/power pop.

My bass player would play only straight 60's/70's style hard rock if he had his choice.

My guitar player has a killer blues sound which works well for a lot of things and he is open to just about any genre.

I will play almost anything. I don't want to be stuck in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90, or 2000's.

I dig simple garage bands, funk, old style R&B, old style R&R, and dancy pop music.

In chronological order, our cover set list goes back to 60's Beatles, Stones, Amimals, Doors, Standells, ?Mysterians, Joe Walsh, 70's Mott The Hoople, T Rex, Bowie, Aerosmith, Thin Lizzy, Roxy Music, Lynyrd Skynyrd (not FB dammit!) 80's The Cars, Tom Petty, Billy Idol, Talking Heads, Tears for Fears, 90's Men at Work, Dire Straits, 00's Puddle of Mudd, and Cake.

We base the selections on what we can sing so we end up doing several songs from each band just because we can.

I am pushing hard to get another 20 songs from the 90's thru current. The newest we have is a new/current Joe Walsh song. It's not a great song....but it's new
    Last edited by NewTricks; 01-25-2013 at 06:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    Um?

I play mostly Death Metal, a bit of Thrash here and there. I'm getting into Funk, Latin and Jazz a lot these days though.
    Dude..your fast tempo'd blast beats are fun to watch. Post up some more videos man! They're cool....but getting into some Funk, Latin and jazz huh??? Awesome, opening up the playlist is a good thing just as drummer's quote said, versatility is the key to success.

User Info Menu

I play a lot of metal, pretty much any type of metal really, as long as it's fast or heavy... Or both. But I also like to fiddle around with funk.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you octopus?

User Info Menu

I like this thread. It's cool to see what everyone's in to.

User Info Menu

Great to hear the move is almost done.............post some pics when you get a chance................does it have a cool "stone-walled" basement like your old place? That was the perfect background for your kit.
    It's a newer house with poured concrete basement walls, so no sweet stone background.

Drums will be upstairs. Wife trying to relegate me to the "blue" room but I want to be out in the big open space. Battle to ensue! LOL.

User Info Menu

It's a newer house with poured concrete basement walls, so no sweet stone background.

Drums will be upstairs. Wife trying to relegate me to the "blue" room but I want to be out in the big open space. Battle to ensue! LOL.
    At least the newer poured walls are more "water-tight" than the older basements.

Regarding the "battle" with the wife.......resistance is futile.............might as well go where she wants you to

User Info Menu

At least the newer poured walls are more "water-tight" than the older basements.

Regarding the "battle" with the wife.......resistance is futile.............might as well go where she wants you to
    Ha. I know. It's inevitable really.

User Info Menu

Ha. I know. It's inevitable really.

Just a thought on arguing with the wife.

Lorena Bobbitt

Snip happens.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 01-29-2013 at 01:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Just a thought on arguing with the wife.

Lorena Bobbitt

Snip happens.
    I'd like to think things won't escalate to that point over where I'm setting up my drums, but I guess you never know.