Thread: The Coolest Thing Happened

User Info Menu

Default The Coolest Thing Happened

At this last Tuesday's practice, someone decided that it would be cool to play Bob Marley's "One Love/People Get Ready." Well, I appreciate that my band thinks I'm a good drummer, but I told them that I would have to try and learn reggae beats before I could even attempt to play it with them (our guitarist turned a little green just at the mention of reggae).

OK, here's the cool part. We found the song on YouTube and had a listen. Then I sat down and started messing about until I found the rhythm. Granted, I simplified it just a little bit, but there I was playing along with the song after hearing it just a few times. I knew that after playing guitar for a while, I could add new skills without the long learning curve that I had in the beginning, but I had not experienced anything like this before. It was definitely a cool moment for me, so I had to share it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Coolest Thing Happened

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    At this last Tuesday's practice, someone decided that it would be cool to play Bob Marley's "One Love/People Get Ready." Well, I appreciate that my band thinks I'm a good drummer, but I told them that I would have to try and learn reggae beats before I could even attempt to play it with them (our guitarist turned a little green just at the mention of reggae).

OK, here's the cool part. We found the song on YouTube and had a listen. Then I sat down and started messing about until I found the rhythm. Granted, I simplified it just a little bit, but there I was playing along with the song after hearing it just a few times. I knew that after playing guitar for a while, I could add new skills without the long learning curve that I had in the beginning, but I had not experienced anything like this before. It was definitely a cool moment for me, so I had to share it.

You learn by playing. I think you are going to be just fine.

C'mon, you're a Pastor, you've got ^ on your side. If HE/SHE didn't want you to play drums, HE/SHE would have given you a piccolo.

User Info Menu

Always cool to see progress! Nice work PB.

User Info Menu

Very cool PB. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Yep. That's pretty much how it works. At first everything is a bit of a challenge to play right. But after a couple of years or sooner depending on your natural talent level, you start to be able to pick up on different things that you've never tried, or even thought about trying before, and find out that you've become quite accomplished and it's easier for you than you thought it would be. There's nowhere to go but up. Sooner or later you'll be rocking out to La Villa Strangiato! Well, maybe a bit later. Cheers!
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I agree with rickthedrummer. I think playing to a song you like helps at least it does me. Also you can add or subtract beats and still make it sound good.

User Info Menu

big Bob Marley fan, raggae is a whole new beat,off-time and sporadic as all music can be at times. Nice experiment PB. Add conga and timpale and send them home wanting more this Sunday!
    who knows, may open up a whole new world for some kid whos good at guiro.

User Info Menu

Ringo Starr's touring drummer once told me that he practiced to pop songs he enjoyed listening too instead of a metronome as almost all pop songs are recorded to a metronome!

Thats awesome to hear PB! I love those ah-ha moments when a beat just clicks!
    21 year old drummer based out of Nevada City ca. I play drums in a prog rock band called "This is Radiation"

Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/This-i...7910739?ref=hl

Bandcamp:
    http://thisisradiation.bandcamp.com/

User Info Menu

good going bud. reggae is a whole different way of thinking. its really a fun type of music to play once you get the hang of it . congrats ... im a huge reggae fan, have been since i went on a vacation to Jamaica in the late 70s. it added a whole new way of thinking for me . and then i heard Stewart Copeland on the first Police album and heard how he mixed punk and reggae and it just blew me away , my drumming changed forever the first time i heard Copeland play. keep it up and we'll be calling you Rasta Bob instead of Pastor Bob
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peachyplace View Post
    Ringo Starr's touring drummer once told me that he practiced to pop songs he enjoyed listening too instead of a metronome as almost all pop songs are recorded to a metronome!

Thats awesome to hear PB! I love those ah-ha moments when a beat just clicks!
    guilty as charged

User Info Menu

Congratulations Bob! You earned it!

User Info Menu

Wow man, what took you so long??? (lol jk mate).
    That is awesome when that happens hey. It's like the old saying, you never know what you're capable of until you try. You just need to jump in feet first and go for it.
    Well done bro.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

This is awesome! And I think it's worth mentioning that there are alot of great comments in this thread. I LOVE Reggae, and atomcorr2 - it's like you're in my brain man! Copeland's drumming is what made me a drummer.

User Info Menu

I appreciate what you guys have said about just playing to music. My issue has been that since my early instruction was pretty poor in it's structure and basics, after 2 years, I felt like I was starting over with a new teacher - unlearning bad habits while trying to move forward. It was pretty frustrating, and it kind of made me feel that every new thing came after lots of practice. This has been a real revelation to me. I really appreciate the encouragement that come from your own experiences.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

This is how it happens alot for me too. We look up the tune on Youtube etc. There are many songs that the band wanted to do but I didn't. Later I learned to like some of them and even enjoyed them. Glad to hear about the cool moment and can assure you there are plenty more where that came from! Congrats PB!

User Info Menu

nice when it clicks right?
    i personally owe more than half of my abilities to recorded music, and whats left to sitting down and playing to the stuff.
    Last edited by onegourd; 01-24-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: doh!
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Congrats PB...........it is fun when you get to the point you can hear something and then play it............just watch out, you may be wearing dreds and smoking that funny tobacco if you play too much reggae

User Info Menu

Hey, great stuff PB! Reggae is definitely one style I encourage a number of students to try, because it's not really about the chops that makes it hard, it really is the feel more than anything else. I show how easy it looks on paper, and some might think it's a walk in the park.....until they have to sit down and play it and realise you don't often land on the '1' and there's not much backbeat on '2 & 4'! I always remember the day when I finally 'got' "Walking On The Moon" by The Police, and it's been a long lifetime of listening and playing reggae ever since...but that was my introduction to it.

Now, if you then start talking like this:

or this:

Then I'd say....yuh praktissin' dem riddem too much, bwai.....ev'ryting soon come!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Yeah, Drumbledore, I really don't expect to get it perfect, any time soon, but I can sense the feel of it, and I like the feel of it. I also realize that there's a real difference between getting down the basic beat, and playing it at a higher level. Should be fun, though.

User Info Menu

I caught you guys on tour back in the day man....it was a groov'n time man. The mood I was in man, was like I was one with myself man. And if I were to see you again man, I might just say "Sheriff John Brown man, I put the man away man....."

Last edited by late8; 02-14-2013 at 03:37 PM.

User Info Menu

^ Seerius choons from dem whaayt bwai weh in dem baahk!!!

(means good playing from PB in the back over there)
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    ^ Seerius choons from dem whaayt bwai weh in dem baahk!!!

(means good playing from PB in the back over there)
    I always knew he had it in him!!