Thread: help!!!!!! studio drumming

User Info Menu

Default help!!!!!! studio drumming

I knead help. My brother is recording a song on February 1 and asked me to do the drum's for it. its my first time doing drum's for a CD and i don't want to schowup any advice

User Info Menu

Default Re: help!!!!!! studio drumming

Hit your drums real hard and your cymbals a bit lighter than usual, this way the room/overhead mics can pick up a good amount of drum volume along with the cymbals giving you a much more full sound! John Bonham of Led Zeppelin was a master of this and was able to get huge tones with minimal equipment
    21 year old drummer based out of Nevada City ca. I play drums in a prog rock band called "This is Radiation"

Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/This-i...7910739?ref=hl

Bandcamp:
    http://thisisradiation.bandcamp.com/

User Info Menu

ok thanks i will do so to the best of my ability.

User Info Menu

you are in a bit too deep for Feb 1st.
    how good are you? beginner, intermediate, expert or pro?
    what will you be playing?

for the record, im a pretty good intermediate at best.

Be honest, can you handle the gig?
    if so just go in and lay it down
    Last edited by kyle102565; 01-24-2013 at 08:45 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm a pretty good intermediate

And yes i can you handle the gig

And i'm playing like pop rock

User Info Menu

go in and lay it down, dont sweat it.

User Info Menu

Ok I will

User Info Menu

dont hit hard..lol.....no one likes 0 dynamics

just play how you feel comfortable

User Info Menu

take time to get your headphone mix and volume the way you like it. I think that is really important. I always hate wearing them because everything seems so muted it feels like I'm not hitting hard enough but just play your normal way.
    check around your kit for any rattlers, ie cymbal stand legs touching the kick or rims touching something. I always hang a key off my floor tom leg when playing live and it rattles. stuff like that.

have a good time.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

1 Practice playing to a click track
    2 Have your kit in good repair, no squeaks or rattles
    3 Practice playing to a click track
    4 put on new heads a week before and get some playing time on them so they stay in tune
    5 Practice playing to a click track
    6 Dont get caught up on "my sound" do what the engineer asks as far as muffling and tuning to get a good sound for that room
    7 Practice playing to a click track
    8 know the track inside out, backwards forwards
    9 Practice playing to a click track
    10 Studio time is exspensive be prepared.

User Info Menu

got it Practice playing to a click track!!

User Info Menu

I was in a similar situation during the summer; my band went to a home studio to record our 5 song EP. Everyone else in the band really wasnt ready and although I was more prepared, all the preparation was basically thrown out the door when we started tracking.
    Fortunately I was provided with a drum set, I set up and the engineer put all the mics in position. He told me to play so he could get all the levels set up so I played around a bit (Making sure to play "respectfully" like I was advised to online) and then was told that I wasn't hitting things hard enough and that he'd go upstairs while I warm up...
    I could go on and on about how that day completely flipped over my world but I think that anecdote is enough to get my point across: you can never actually be fully prepared.
    Some random tips based on my experience:
    Be ready to tune
    If you are playing the bell of your ride and want to have a distinct sound between that and the rest of the ride, really lay into the bell
    Listen to the mixes and don't be afraid to ask for things to be changed, I'm still mad for not asking for the bass drum to be lowered in the mix.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator42009 View Post
    I was in a similar situation during the summer; my band went to a home studio to record our 5 song EP. Everyone else in the band really wasnt ready and although I was more prepared, all the preparation was basically thrown out the door when we started tracking.
    Fortunately I was provided with a drum set, I set up and the engineer put all the mics in position. He told me to play so he could get all the levels set up so I played around a bit (Making sure to play "respectfully" like I was advised to online) and then was told that I wasn't hitting things hard enough and that he'd go upstairs while I warm up...
    I could go on and on about how that day completely flipped over my world but I think that anecdote is enough to get my point across: you can never actually be fully prepared.
    Some random tips based on my experience:
    Be ready to tune
    If you are playing the bell of your ride and want to have a distinct sound between that and the rest of the ride, really lay into the bell
    Listen to the mixes and don't be afraid to ask for things to be changed, I'm still mad for not asking for the bass drum to be lowered in the mix.
    hence the studio with engineers.
    they want it done right, as said its expensive, bring the A game to the studio otherwise they go "upstairs" while you hash it out.
    to you Luke, hang in there, if they ask more than you're capable just do your best.

i miss the hats between 3 and 4, cant cure it, no studio would put up with my lament.
    live doesnt matter, studio does.

dont miss the opp to play in the studio, may never happen in a drummers life.

remember to breath and keep a simple beat, id bring nothing more to a studio than a 4 piece.
    drum tracks get laid down first before anyone else shows up.
    no drinking, no late night, eat pasta the night before to satisfy the lack of eating the next day due to nerves.
    Luke, you're a drummer, be the drummer.
    dont bow out, i played in front of JR Robinson and was sweating bullets scared to death.
    i got a standing ovation for my effort at 6 months of drumming.
    you will do good as long as you do it, if you dont it will cripple your confidence

User Info Menu

ok thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    1 Practice playing to a click track
    2 Have your kit in good repair, no squeaks or rattles
    3 Practice playing to a click track
    4 put on new heads a week before and get some playing time on them so they stay in tune
    5 Practice playing to a click track
    6 Dont get caught up on "my sound" do what the engineer asks as far as muffling and tuning to get a good sound for that room
    7 Practice playing to a click track
    8 know the track inside out, backwards forwards
    9 Practice playing to a click track
    10 Studio time is exspensive be prepared.
    this

User Info Menu

ok got it