Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Time Choosing..

User Info Menu

Question Hard Time Choosing..

Hey all!
    and a pleasure to join this forum!
    anyway im looking to upgrade pretty soon within the next 4 months from my crappy ludwig accent, and my range is anywhere till close to $2,000 but not more. In the lines of intermediate and semi-pro i suppose, and i actually really like the Yamaha Tour Customs but i agree that they need better finishes, and i also dig the Gretsch catalina's, but i want some ADVICE from yall on the forum on which others i should go and give a listen to. i play most pop/rock/acoustic/indie stuff.

User Info Menu

Only if you agree to stay a member of this forum after we advise you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by miamidrumgirl View Post
    Hey all!
    and a pleasure to join this forum!
    anyway im looking to upgrade pretty soon within the next 4 months from my crappy ludwig accent, and my range is anywhere till close to $2,000 but not more. In the lines of intermediate and semi-pro i suppose, and i actually really like the Yamaha Tour Customs but i agree that they need better finishes, and i also dig the Gretsch catalina's, but i want some ADVICE from yall on the forum on which others i should go and give a listen to. i play most pop/rock/acoustic/indie stuff.
    I dont know anything about kits, but theres a couple people on this forum with Catalinas, and they love it, but talk to them about it, welcome!

User Info Menu

Personally, I'd focus on getting a primo set of cymbals over a high priced kit. A well tuned Pearl Export kit with A Customs is going to sound better than a DW kit with ZBT's (IMO). A really nice snare never hurts either.

User Info Menu

how many peices do you need? and do you need hardware and cymbals? if all yoou need is a 5 pc shell pack you can do much better than catalina or tour custom.

User Info Menu

ps. welcome to drumchat.

User Info Menu

wow yeah, 2 grand, for a 5 peice you could buy an amazing kit

User Info Menu

I agree with RD on some level. I got a high priced Catalina and only had enough to buy a crappy Paiste PST-3 economy pack :( It's a beautiful sounding set, I would highly reccomend it. Mine is birch and only came in the 5 shell package, but if you bought a maple, which I hear is better, you can get an extra one or two pieces I believe. This set would be a much better buy than the Yamaha. Good luck!

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Psssst. Alright everybody together now...

SONOR S...O...N...O...R - German made drums!!!

Check these out - You will get a great sounding Pro level set AND still have $$$ left over for some great cymbals!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONOR-FORCE-3007...QQcmdZViewItem

Or better yet, check out Shane at The Drum Shop in Maine, follow this link regarding an S-Class Pro set he's got for $1,559.00 (awesome set) - you'll still have some bucks left over for some good cymbals!

http://www.drumsforless.com/drumscat-58.html

Personally, I'd go with the S-Class Pro set. Top of the line and better than the Force series.

Can you tell I'm a Sonor guy?

By the way, welcome to Drum Chat - you'll like it here!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

wow....$2000? yeah I would buy some really nice cymbals, and see how much you have left and then worry about a new kit...because, as RD said earlier, you can make a crappy kit sound decent, but there's really nothing you can do about crappy cymbals...except melt them down lol
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

I disagree with the consensus of the rest of the members. Buy a nice kit, a kit you can have for life. Cymbals break and can and will need to be replaced.

Now, the kit. I recently bought a custom kit from C&C custom drums. And I will never buy a non-custom made kit again. I got exactly what I wanted, ply, wood type, sizes, hardware, finish, mounting system, with no comprimises. I could not be happier. I highly suggest you research some custom companies and see if that works for you.

User Info Menu

As the above people said $2000 can buy some great cymbals or if all your looking for is a 5pc kit then it can also buy you a great 5pc kit. I suggest buying the kit and then worrying about the cymbals. As for the kit, I can't give you any ideas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    how many peices do you need? and do you need hardware and cymbals? if all yoou need is a 5 pc shell pack you can do much better than catalina or tour custom.

I already have the cymbals I wanted, I'm looking for a really great 5 or 4 piece shell pack. I got 14" mastersound hi-hats, 10" sabian axs20 splash, 19" sabian aaxplosion crash, 18" zildjian a custom crash, 20" paiste signature series full ride, and 16" wuhan china, and together they sound fantastic, so I would like a good sounding kit.

User Info Menu

kev kev kev.. She said wuhan!!! :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

sounds like your set for the big step up to a pro level kit then,
    some good ones to look at all of wich you can get a new or slightly used 5 pc for under or about 2k
    pearl masters
    tama starclassic performer
    yamaha oak custom
    ludwig classic maple
    gretsch renown

this one is awesome and at that price you can get a killer snare to go with it.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Tama-Starclassic...QQcmdZViewItem

User Info Menu

EWW i dont like that finish

User Info Menu

Wow sound like your set with the cymbals lol. Great selection.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the DrumChat, MDG! I would say that I am very happy with my Gretsch Catalina kit. I have the maple shells, and I got a six piece kit for $699. It sounds, though, like you are looking for a pro-level kit, like Funky pointed out. Since you don't need cymbals, you should be able to get a really nice kit with the $2,000 budget.

Do you have a wood in mind for the shells? I ask only because I am partial to the maple, myself. Just wondering if you have an opinion on which wood gives you the sound that you want.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

O_O
    You bought the six piece maple for only $699...
    That almost angers me lol.
    I think I got ripped off.

User Info Menu

Welcome miami girl!
    I think that tour custom and catalina are much cheaper than $2,000.
    See what funkymcstain said,and choose.
    I believe that sonor s class pro and gretsch renown would be great kits for you!

User Info Menu

Default limit

guys well im saying that 2,000 would be my cut off limit so thats hy i mentioned the tour customs its because yamaha makes great drums and from 1,000 i thought it would be worth a shot instead of spending all the way to 2,000 get me? lol but yeah. id like maple but see im going for good looks as well and i would like something simple like 4 or 5 peice because i play POP/ROCK/INDIE/ACOUSTIC type of stuff, so i would like to not go completly broke but get a nice shell pack, with a nice finish, and maybe just maybe a virgin bass drum but that would be just for looks.

User Info Menu

Are you looking for something to put on a drum rack?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Are you looking for something to put on a drum rack?
    not really actually.

User Info Menu

I was just wondering if that needed to be factored into the price. Without a wood preference, I would suggest that you check out Pacific by DW LXE kits. They would come in at about $1,500 for an upper level intermediate kit, and would give you cool visual options at a decent price (birch, ash, and maple shells). If you're looking more for quality manufacturing over the bling factor, you might check out the used drum set market to see how high you could go for the money that you're willing to spend. You would have to settle for whatever colors are offered, rather than making a choice of your own, but then you might also find just the kit you were looking for!

If you give us more specifics about what you want, we might be able to narrow down our advice to you, but for now, I how this helps some.

User Info Menu

What i would do is get some reserch on different kits, in different companies, and then make a decision, thats what i did with my cymbals, good thing i did too, its the safest way to go.