Thread: Bread

User Info Menu

Default Bread

Yes, I'm admitting it. I love Bread and their timeless classics. This is the kind of stuff one may hear in dreams
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-27-2020 at 08:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bread

I'm with you Olimpass. I really liked Bread when I was in High School, and I still like their songs today.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I had a girlfiend named Audrey in Jr. HS. I thought Bread was singing about a girl named Audrey but when I read the liner sleeve, the song was about a girl named Aubrey....nevertheless, I sang my heart out singing "Audrey Was Her Name..." Bread was a great band to listen to when you were in love!!

User Info Menu

So was the song " happy together " by the Turtles.

User Info Menu

One of the best bands ever! Sappy and wonderful!

User Info Menu

This band brings back happy memories for me as The Sound Of Bread was one of my late dads favourite albums.This along with Blondie and Status Quo got a lot of plays.!

User Info Menu

Always liked them too. God, I am getting old.
    Joe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gatlin5 View Post
    Always liked them too. God, I am getting old.

Welcome to the club.

User Info Menu

did anyone else here about Bread and Meatloaf going on tour?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

That would be a great mixture if it is true.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    did anyone else here about Bread and Meatloaf going on tour?
    Sounds tasty! I always have bread with meatloaf!

User Info Menu

Please, no Meatloafing in the Bread thread! Thanks alot slinky!...lol. More like The Cranberries or even more likely, Hall & Oates...too funny.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 02-03-2013 at 08:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Please, no Meatloafing in the Bread thread! Thanks alot slinky!...lol. More like The Cranberries or even more likely, Hall & Oates...too funny.
    Which raises a good question for me. How do you come up with a name like "Bread" for a band??? When I was growing up on Okinawa, the older guys that lived next door had a band called "The Yellow Bananas", now that makes sense...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Which raises a good question for me. How do you come up with a name like "Bread" for a band??? When I was growing up on Okinawa, the older guys that lived next door had a band called "The Yellow Bananas", now that makes sense...
    Well, in a search I found that when trying to decide a band name, a bread truck drove by, they looked at each other and the rest was history?
    There are endless weird names for bands. I'm guessing sometimes just the name, be it shock value or levity, may entice someone to investigate and take a looksie.

larryz Guest

David Gates was Bread for the most part. Also Larry Knechtel (sp?). But it was Hal Blaine on drums for all their hits I think. Great voice and melodies. I saw a youtube clip from just a few years back of Gates doing a show and the voice is still sweet. Goodbye Girl... weepy but a beauty.

User Info Menu

Well at least I don't want to fight with anyone when I listen to this stuff!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by larryz View Post
    David Gates was Bread for the most part. Also Larry Knechtel (sp?). But it was Hal Blaine on drums for all their hits I think. Great voice and melodies. I saw a youtube clip from just a few years back of Gates doing a show and the voice is still sweet. Goodbye Girl... weepy but a beauty.
    Hal Blaine, one of the greatest session drummers of all time.....

User Info Menu

You just cannot beat Bread for curing insomnia!

For the record, I actually like Bread. Quite a lot.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Bread

I was in college radio when Bread was at its peak ("If", "Make it with You", "Baby I'm-A Want You"), and to me it was nice, soothing music that, looking back on it, reflected '70's pop before disco crashed into it. Strangely, one of their songs has a new poignancy to me the older I get...

listen closely to the third verse of "Everything I Own" and you'll understand why...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Hey guys, me being a yongin'.. you guys just introduced me to a new band! I'm digging it though. I might just be putting some on for the lady here in a bit
    Love my Gretsch sound!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Oh man, the other day, hanging with a muso mate of mine after I'd done some drum classes here (he'd popped around to say hi briefly, then stuck around for a longer while....) being a lifelong bud of mine, we naturally start cracking jokes....so we re-dubbed Hall & Oates as "Hauling Oats"....at first....then it morphed into "Hauling Goats"!

I think we'd have a *Field(er's) day with Bread though....

Manager: "So David, how do you think your going with your music?"
    David Gates: "Ehh, not bad, but I think we could do a bit better. Why, what are you thinking?"
    Manager: "David, David, David.....Davey boy, ever thought of diversifying?"
    DG: "How?"
    Manager: "Well, think about it.....you've got a band name that is totally universal....you're a genius! Truly!"
    DG (basking in the praise): "Oh? Thank you very much!" (grins)
    Manager: "So....we got to now capitalise on that and target the various overseas market, which means...."
    DG (raising eyebrow): "Which means....?"
    Manager: "....Which means you've got to broaden your demographic, mate!"
    DG: "Huh?"
    Manager: "Well, not everyone is an English speaker, right?"
    DG: "Right?"
    Manager: "So think about it.....Bread....particular sort of food...well, that's why you named yourselves that, right?"
    DG: "Well....I'd say so.....I was hungry at the time.....you know, starving artist and all that?"
    Manager (cuts DG off): "Yeah, yeah, yeah....I know, I know....so while everybody knows what Bread is....not everyone calls it that, get it?"

DG now looks at him, raising that eyebrow more...

DG: "So?"
    Manager: "So....I went down to the deli I go to in Manhattan, and I got inspired, Davey! Here....we even got some mock up poster art done of your world tour! See? In Germany you'll be called "Pumpernickel"! In France (oh-hoh-he-hoh!) they'll call you "La Baguette!" They're gonna call you.....
    DG is fuming by now: "Ffffff...."
    Manager: "....Foccacia in Italy! And hey, there's even you going in and touring as the first Western artist in India!"
    DG: "NNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

Manager: "....Close David.....it's "Naan", actually. Jeez, why the temper tantrum?"

*Goodman Fielder is an Australasian manufacturer of breads and other foods.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Oh man, the other day, hanging with a muso mate of mine after I'd done some drum classes here (he'd popped around to say hi briefly, then stuck around for a longer while....) being a lifelong bud of mine, we naturally start cracking jokes....so we re-dubbed Hall & Oates as "Hauling Oats"....at first....then it morphed into "Hauling Goats"!

I think we'd have a *Field(er's) day with Bread though....

Manager: "So David, how do you think your going with your music?"
    David Gates: "Ehh, not bad, but I think we could do a bit better. Why, what are you thinking?"
    Manager: "David, David, David.....Davey boy, ever thought of diversifying?"
    DG: "How?"
    Manager: "Well, think about it.....you've got a band name that is totally universal....you're a genius! Truly!"
    DG (basking in the praise): "Oh? Thank you very much!" (grins)
    Manager: "So....we got to now capitalise on that and target the various overseas market, which means...."
    DG (raising eyebrow): "Which means....?"
    Manager: "....Which means you've got to broaden your demographic, mate!"
    DG: "Huh?"
    Manager: "Well, not everyone is an English speaker, right?"
    DG: "Right?"
    Manager: "So think about it.....Bread....particular sort of food...well, that's why you named yourselves that, right?"
    DG: "Well....I'd say so.....I was hungry at the time.....you know, starving artist and all that?"
    Manager (cuts DG off): "Yeah, yeah, yeah....I know, I know....so while everybody knows what Bread is....not everyone calls it that, get it?"

DG now looks at him, raising that eyebrow more...

DG: "So?"
    Manager: "So....I went down to the deli I go to in Manhattan, and I got inspired, Davey! Here....we even got some mock up poster art done of your world tour! See? In Germany you'll be called "Pumpernickel"! In France (oh-hoh-he-hoh!) they'll call you "La Baguette!" They're gonna call you.....
    DG is fuming by now: "Ffffff...."
    Manager: "....Foccacia in Italy! And hey, there's even you going in and touring as the first Western artist in India!"
    DG: "NNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!"

Manager: "....Close David.....it's "Naan", actually. Jeez, why the temper tantrum?"

*Goodman Fielder is an Australasian manufacturer of breads and other foods.
    LOL...you guys went way out there with that one.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 05-04-2013 at 09:07 AM.

User Info Menu