Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deal or no deal?

User Info Menu

Default Deal or no deal?

I am looking to buy a smaller kit and think I may have found one I like. It's a 5 Piece Purple Sparkle Tama Starclassic Bubinga/Birch which will include a Silver Sparkle Yamaha Oak Custom Snare. He said he'd let the kit go for $1000 with no snare and $100 more with a snare. I am not familiar with the Starclassics and I do want a Tama kit. The kit is in good shape as well. The sizes are 10,12,14,22. Is the kit worth what he is asking?
    I won't be building it up like my Yamaha kit if I buy it.I want a smaller kit so I don't always have to play on my monster kit and I want to use Zildjian K's or Meinl cymbals on this new kit if I grab it. He also has a rack he said he could sell with it,but I didn't ask how much more and I probably will so I don't have a stand mess and save space since it will be sitting directly across from my Yammies. (The Tama kit would look like a midget kit LOL)
    Any help would be appreciated.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Deal or no deal?

Deal... I just came across a killer deal on a 6 month old 5pc Starclassic B/B (no snare, 2 racks, 2 floors & kick) for $1100.00 and that was a deal that was way too good to not get. I put it immediately on layaway. I would say your deal is just as good especially since you could get a decent snare, if your choose. I already have a Tama B/B in our company's studio and I can attest to how great these kits sound. They are perfect live, and they also record extremely well, probably due to the birch in the makeup. That is the reason I wanted one for my own. They give all the attack of birch and a deep low end presence due to the bubinga. They sound amazing! IMHO these are some of the best sounding kits around. Listen to some vids, go check some out if you have to, but that is an outstanding kit that can last you a long time! I love playing the one at the studio and I can't wait to get mine out of layaway!
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dirtysticks View Post
    Deal... I just came across a killer deal on a 6 month old 5pc Starclassic B/B (no snare, 2 racks, 2 floors & kick) for $1100.00 and that was a deal that was way too good to not get. I put it immediately on layaway. I would say your deal is just as good especially since you could get a decent snare, if your choose. I already have a Tama B/B in our company's studio and I can attest to how great these kits sound. They are perfect live, and they also record extremely well, probably due to the birch in the makeup. That is the reason I wanted one for my own. They give all the attack of birch and a deep low end presence due to the bubinga. They sound amazing! IMHO these are some of the best sounding kits around. Listen to some vids, go check some out if you have to, but that is an outstanding kit that can last you a long time! I love playing the one at the studio and I can't wait to get mine out of layaway!
    Sounds awesome. The person who has them said it is the best kit he has heard.He said he was using a set of Yamaha Custom Maples,not the absolutes,and he said the Tama B/B sounded better. My wife said it was ok to buy them so I guess I will have to pick them up when the tax man comes which will be in just a few short weeks. I won't be able to gt any hardware or cymbals when I get them,but it will be my year long project to get everything I need to play them and give me a chance to listen to other types of cymbals. I have my Sabians and I am more then happy with them,but want to try something else now.
    The only thing I would like to get as an add on would be a 16" floor tom.I don't know how hard it will be to find one in that color but I will be looking for one eventually.
    I will go ahead and grab the snare along with it since it is only $100 and if I don't like it,I am sure I can flip it easy. I am looking at the Ludwig Epic 20 ply Birch snare except it is black/blue fade in color and it looks really nice.I could get that and throw on the Tama kit. It's around $200 new plus have to buy new heads and some pure sound snares for it. I have been pretty darn happy with the Epic snare on my Yamaha kit and haven't used my Pearl snare since.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by Shawn76; 01-28-2013 at 02:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Hmmm?...There are some factors to consider on this kit to think about if I read your question right...like what year?..."good" condition vs newish condition?. Are we talking shells only or with hardware and cymbals?. Anyway, if its drums only, $1000 (or $1100 with that great snare) isn't a stellar deal, but it might be doable.
    New Tama B/B 4 or 5pc kits go for $1500 brand new. It really depends on total pieces. Can you fill us in on exactly how many pieces (including snare) and the genuine condition of the kit?. Maybe I could give you a better idea then.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
    Hmmm?...There are some factors to consider on this kit to think about if I read your question right...like what year?..."good" condition vs newish condition?. Are we talking shells only or with hardware and cymbals?. Anyway, if its drums only, $1000 (or $1100 with that great snare) isn't a stellar deal, but it might be doable.
    New Tama B/B 4 or 5pc kits go for $1500 brand new. It really depends on total pieces. Can you fill us in on exactly how many pieces (including snare) and the genuine condition of the kit?. Maybe I could give you a better idea then.
    It has the 10,12 mounted 14 floor and 22" BD and a Yamaha Oak Custom Snare,not sure how deep,I am thinking 6.5" overall condition is great.He takes really good care of his drums. I don't know how old they are,I am guessing at least 3-4 years old. No hardware comes with it except for the mounts needed for the toms and floor tom legs. I can probably talk him down some on the price since they do sell new for about $1500 plus shipping and tax. When the time comes to go buy them I will shoot for an $700-$800 price. I have had pretty good deals with him in the past and he is usually pretty fair with his prices if you show him what the retail price and used prices are.I done some looking around and seen some 3 piece kits going for $600 no snare and 4 piece no snare for $800. The snare he is offering is about $175-$250 used depending on where you look.It's not high end but a decent.I could skip the snare but for $100 extra I might as well grab it and like I said if I don't care for it,flip it and get the Ludwig Epic Snare for it that I am looking at.I like the Blue Epic snare more then the Burst color I have on my Yamaha kit,so I would also be selling or trading that snare.I don't want 2 of the same kind of snares.I know someone with a Tama 8x14 Maple snare I wouldn't mind getting.He won't sell it,but would trade it for the Epic snare,that's already been talked about.
    Last edited by Shawn76; 01-28-2013 at 03:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Shawn, I would say your thinking is solid, and the kit is definitely worth pursuing. Hope you can work out the details on this kit, because in good condition, it would be a really nice pro-quality kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Shawn, I would say your thinking is solid, and the kit is definitely worth pursuing. Hope you can work out the details on this kit, because in good condition, it would be a really nice pro-quality kit.
    Yeah I hope I can as well. I just have to keep control of myself and not overpay for something I can get cheaper somewhere else. I like Tama drums and had a set of Superstars that I had no problems with and sounded awesome.
    I kind of miss them now but I was wanting a big,all matching kit at the time so I sold them.Kind of kicking myself for it now.

User Info Menu

I understand about the Superstars. I have a 2007 6 piece Gretsch Catalina Maple kit that I will want to replace eventually, but every time I think about selling it for an upgrade, I just put off the decision, because I just love that kit. It will really hurt when I finally let it go.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

PB your kit is only 6years old why would you even think of upgrading it. If you love it so much then don't think about replacing etc.

User Info Menu

I shouldn't of went to Guitar Center today.They have a Tama Starclassic B/B kit in there that is 10 12 16 22 for $1599 and it is black with silver sparkles.It's really cool looking and even my wife likes it. Going to be a tough call now.

User Info Menu

buy it it you have the money.
    Pro kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    buy it it you have the money.
    Pro kit
    It's not that I need the new kit,I just want something small to play on and do different things with then my Yamaha kit. It's not about getting a pro kit,It's whatever is a better deal for me for what I want. I am extremely happy with my big kit,just sometimes I want to play a smaller one and don't want to move things around after I have it all set where I want it.
    But the Tama kit at GC is looking more and more appealing to me.It will be a bit before I get hardware and cymbals for the new kit.It will be a project for me to do for the rest of the year.

User Info Menu

That black oyster finish on the starclassic is gorgeous! I love black oyster glass finishes. I have a DW edge snare in black oyster glass finish that looks stunning! I guess the choice just got a little bit harder.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

Still waiting on money to decide which kit I want but the person with the Tama kit called and has offered me a Pearl Icon 503 3 sided rack for an extra $200 with several clamps. I found the snare for $179 used and the same size kit for $800-$900 used. That doesn't include tax and shipping.
    So he has offered me a little more and now really has my attention on buying it. All I would need are 2 crashes,1 China,1 splash a ride and hats and boom arms for the cymbals,high hat stand,Snare stand,thone and bass pedal. he said he will also put new heads on it as well free of charge. I think I am going to go ahead and grab it up since I know it would be a bit cheaper then having to pay tax and shipping. I figure $1500 or more if I bought the used stuff I seen. So the offer price is at $1300 for everything. If I wanted to use the Tama kit until I can get everything I can always use some of my stuff of the Yamaha kit.I would trade out racks and use the rack I have on my Yamaha kit for the Tama kit and use the Pearl 503 for my Yamaha kit since it is adjustable and I really need one that is adjustable and more heavy duty since it holds more cymbals then the Tama kit ever will.
    What are your thoughts on this deal?
    Last edited by Shawn76; 02-04-2013 at 12:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Some pics now that I have some.They are a darker purple color,the correct color is Ultraviolet Sparkle. Never thought I'd be interested in a purple kit but whatever works. I looked and found a matching 16x14 FT for $739,kind of blows me away at how much that cost,2x more them my Yamaha kit.I could buy a 5 piece kit like my Yamaha's for that price,so it's very doubtful I will ever get it.I can't find any other add ons except for a 10" that I will already have and it was $419. The price to pay for a high end kit.
    Snare

Floor Tom

Bass Drum
    Last edited by Shawn76; 02-04-2013 at 02:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
    Sounds awesome. The person who has them said it is the best kit he has heard.He said he was using a set of Yamaha Custom Maples,not the absolutes,and he said the Tama B/B sounded better. My wife said it was ok to buy them so I guess I will have to pick them up when the tax man comes which will be in just a few short weeks. I won't be able to gt any hardware or cymbals when I get them,but it will be my year long project to get everything I need to play them and give me a chance to listen to other types of cymbals. I have my Sabians and I am more then happy with them,but want to try something else now.
    The only thing I would like to get as an add on would be a 16" floor tom.I don't know how hard it will be to find one in that color but I will be looking for one eventually.
    I will go ahead and grab the snare along with it since it is only $100 and if I don't like it,I am sure I can flip it easy. I am looking at the Ludwig Epic 20 ply Birch snare except it is black/blue fade in color and it looks really nice.I could get that and throw on the Tama kit. It's around $200 new plus have to buy new heads and some pure sound snares for it. I have been pretty darn happy with the Epic snare on my Yamaha kit and haven't used my Pearl snare since.
    Thanks for the reply.

Tama has a Forum and the Mods there work for Tama - They can tell you if that floor tom is still available for special order or not.

[Removed link. The forum rules prohibit linking to other drum forums. - Tom]
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Great kit. Awesome deal? Not to me. I'd be trying to get him closer to $800 range. It's a buyers market.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Great kit. Awesome deal? Not to me. I'd be trying to get him closer to $800 range. It's a buyers market.
    Well I done the math,for the kit with no snare $800-$900 would be spot on. But he is adding a snare which doesn't come with any of the used B/B kits I seen in the $800-$900 range. The rack new is $419 with 6 clamps,he is giving me 8 clamps. used the same rack is $250-$300 Snare I found used for $179.Since I am not paying for shipping and tax like I would with one I would buy off the internet,I am not coming out that bad in the deal. The rack is a Pearl 503 Curved front bar. I have seen the kit and he has taken really good care of it or I wouldn't be willing to buy it. I have sen kits with the scratches all over the finish and over priced.I might pay $100 or a little more then what others here would but given the history of the kit,and seeing it was in great shape,I'm sold.Plus on most used kits,heads needs changed.He is putting new heads on for me free of charge.I asked for EC2 batters with G1 Resos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Tama has a Forum and the Mods there work for Tama - They can tell you if that floor tom is still available for special order or not.

[Removed link. The forum rules prohibit linking to other drum forums. - Tom]
    I found the 16" floor tom for the kit in the same color,now that I know the exact name of the color.He forgot the name since he has several kits he has bought over the years laying around. The price of the floor tom is $739 plus tax and shipping and new heads. A bit pricey but if I had the Pearl color kit,the floor tom was over $1000. Purple isn't my color but I'll adjust to it.All my kits have been black and I need a different color.

User Info Menu

Ok here is how I figured this out.The kit at GC which is 10,12,16 22BD no snare is $1599-$1711 after tax.That is with no snare. Snare I would want,Ludwig Epic in Blue/Black fade is 209.99-$224.69 after tax plus about $30 for snail mail shipping. That's nearly $2000 and that doesn't include heads or a rack. It's not to often I see a used Tama SC B/B Kit in my area for sale,in fact I don't think I have ever seen one within 200 miles of me for sale used so I would have to have one shipped,which shipping on an entire kit is very expensive even if you used the slowest and cheapest shipping. Plus buying a used kit and not seeing it,there may be things wrong with it or be all scratched up and there goes the value of the kit that you spent all this money on. I had to really think about it and the economics of buying the Tama kit from him rather then one bought brand new or shipped used. I'm not trying to be a jerk about it since I did come here for advice,but it's the kit I want.I don't care for the color but hopefully that will change when I sit behind it and play.Basically I am going to spend about $2000 or more either way,so why not just get the kit that will be a 6 piece with rack instead of a 5 piece with no rack? The only difference is one is used but in like new condition and the other is new. I can live with a used kit since it looks new.

Plus I wanted another Tama kit.I had a Superstar that was Birch/Basswood and I liked that kit a lot,but sold it to get the Yamaha kit since I couldn't get all the add ons for the Tama that matched. I still kick myself for selling it.The kit I am getting is 10,12,14 22 BD and adding the 16" FT very soon after I get the kit. I am thinking of putting the 14" FT on the left and 16" on the right since my Yamaha kit is set up that way.
    Last edited by Shawn76; 02-04-2013 at 01:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey, if it works for you then grab it. It's a great kit. The color is unique anyway. I'm sure you'll love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Hey, if it works for you then grab it. It's a great kit. The color is unique anyway. I'm sure you'll love it.
    Yeah I think it will what I want.The sound sure is.I could buy a cheaper kit,could of got a set of Maple Catalina's for half the price I will have in the Tama kit,but the sound of B/B is more appealing to my ears.I don't want another entry level or mid level kit,it'd be a waste of money since my Yammies are mid level so the Tama kit will be exactly what I want/need.
    The color is unique,but I don't think this kit will ever be taken out of the house and used for a gig.I have let a friend use my Yammies a few times.I know he Sparkle under the lights would just be awesome looking.
    Thanks for your input Marko and yes,pictures when I get the kit is a must.
    I do need some help on cymbals. I don't want to go with Sabian so I am going to start a new thread in the cymbal section.

User Info Menu

Tax money finally came today,3 weeks early! I did grab the Tama kit this evening but haven't had time to mess with it.I tuned the drums up a bit and hit the 14" floor tom and it has a better sound then my 16" Yamaha floor tom so I am not going to buy a new floor tom. I have other places I can use the $800 at like cymbals! I am not sure I will have room for a 2nd rack so I may just get the 4 stands I will need,high hat stand,snare stand and bass pedal then work on cymbals. I think I will be putting the 20" HHX China on the Tama kit and will swap that cymbal back and forth between the 2 kits and not buy another China.The 20" to me is the perfect China.
    Now the snare I have tuned it up yet to my liking but it is a 7"X14" Yamaha Oak Custom snare. I scanned google and found one that sold for $195. I have to put it through the test soon to see if I will like it or if I will trade it off for some other gear.
    I will get some pictures after it is set up and playable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
    Tax money finally came today,3 weeks early! I did grab the Tama kit this evening but haven't had time to mess with it.I tuned the drums up a bit and hit the 14" floor tom and it has a better sound then my 16" Yamaha floor tom so I am not going to buy a new floor tom. I have other places I can use the $800 at like cymbals! I am not sure I will have room for a 2nd rack so I may just get the 4 stands I will need,high hat stand,snare stand and bass pedal then work on cymbals. I think I will be putting the 20" HHX China on the Tama kit and will swap that cymbal back and forth between the 2 kits and not buy another China.The 20" to me is the perfect China.
    Now the snare I have tuned it up yet to my liking but it is a 7"X14" Yamaha Oak Custom snare. I scanned google and found one that sold for $195. I have to put it through the test soon to see if I will like it or if I will trade it off for some other gear.
    I will get some pictures after it is set up and playable.
    NICE! My 14x11 birch tom is a MONSTER. In contrast, I really don't care for my 16" tom. Can't seem to ever get it tuned right.

User Info Menu

I have an organized mess going on over here.Wife kept me up all night shopping.How can women do it? Pay backs were hell.I made her stay up all day with me and go to pawn shops and GC. I found some Sabian Paragon 14" hats and well,I caved and went for them.So I guess I will never get away from Sabian. I am going to put my 15" and 16" crashes on the kit to save money for now.I need a BD pedal and ride and I am set.
    I decided to use the rack and there is a path of about 2-3 feet between the kits. It's a tight squeeze but no more of the kids running around the room LOL