Thread: How long do you think i should stick with this one?

User Info Menu

Default How long do you think i should stick with this one?

Ive only got a very basic drum kit.
    An olympic premier, but im adding things to it all ther time. A new base pedal, new cymbals etc, but when do you guys think i should upgrade. Is it just personal preference?
    Listen, people, im sorry about the username. I know, its awful, but nevermind...

User Info Menu

When you feel its holding you back..... Or you think it sounds dodgy and you feel something more quality would do.

Also when you start gigging alot too.... Best to have a better quality kit for the sound

Welcome btw. You look new.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Thanks, yeah, i just became a member yesterday. I already think the kit sounds dodgy but the problem is cash. Or lack of it.
    Listen, people, im sorry about the username. I know, its awful, but nevermind...

User Info Menu

yea same here, if its hold'n ya back then id go for it, make sure its a decent kit tho, you dont wanna keep upgrading, that'll cost ya more in the long run

User Info Menu

ChrisCrash, I upgraded after I had been playing for about 2 1/2 months. I bought my first kit with the idea that if I couldn't handle a full kit (I started on a practice pad), then I hadn't lost much. When I realized that I had some talent, I decided to upgrade, because I could afford it at that time. IMHO, that is the deciding factor. Can you afford it at this time? When you can, go ahead and make the upgrade.

Another question you might want to ask is, how big of an upgrade do you want to make? Like Lafirin said, if you upgrade a little and then have to upgrade again, it will cost you more. You might want to decide what your goal is for drumming, and then decide what kit you will need to achieve your goal. Then just save up until you can buy the kit you need. That, of course, would be the logical way. Emotionally, there are already two kits I'd love to have!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Whenever you think that your kit is not good enough for you and have the money to take a better one!!!
    Welcome!

User Info Menu

PB, I got a question for yea iv been puzzled about this, how did you make the decision so quickly to buy a new kit? you must have really known what you wanted. when i first got my kit, even tho it was a beginner peice of junk, (still is) I loved it.

User Info Menu

Well, I knew that I would have to upgrade my heads on the set that I had. They really were pretty bad. Another factor, for me, was that I had talked to my son, and he expressed an interest in drumming. I thought it might be cool to give him my beginner set, that way he could upgrade the heads without having to lay out the cash for the set. If I can work it out, I would like to upgrade my cymbals and give him the ZBT's to start out on. If not, I guess he can buy him own cymbals like I did.

Lafirin, I had the money, at the time, so I upgraded because I knew I would have to eventually anyway. I spent some time learning what I liked, and what was available before I finally chose the Gretsch Catalina set (It was between the Grestch Catalina and the Sonor Force 3005 - both maple).

I am very happy with my decision to upgrade, although, I'm sure that I could have played the ddrum set for a while longer. I admit that the Gretsch set gives a cooler long drum roll with the 4 toms, than the 5 piece ddrum set. I also checked with Gretsch and they are considering making an 8" tom available for the Catalina maple series, after the end of the year. How cool would that be to have a 5 tom drum roll.

Now I just have to practice enough to be worthy of the Catalina drums!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

oh thanks for the update PB, seems like a good reason to get a new kit, it was the same with me for the cymbals, I knew I had to get some so I just bought the best, (well not the best but close I guess), its good you did some research first though, I didn't know you had tested out different drums. lol I havnt been on a set were i could even do a 4 tom drum roll, that would be so cool to do it on five, accept I barley use my floor tom so it would be pointless for me to get 2 more other toms lol.

User Info Menu

Cool How long do you think I should stick with this one?

Hey, C-Crash, I would agree with Stevo on this one...if you're starting to gig more often, you might as well upgrade. When you do, get the best kit you can afford.

It'll be worth the effort...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck