Thread: Musical versatility

User Info Menu

Default Musical versatility

So recently I have been playing a lot of different stuff (folk music, acoustic covers, auxiliary jazz percussion, orchestral mallets etc...) than my usual style, and it lead me to think more about the importance of being versatile. Especially today where it seems like there are a ton of good drummers who are capable of holding down the groove. Im curious about the versatility of my fellow drumchatters... So I guess ill share some of mine but I'm really more curious about all of you!

Drumkit styles: rock, jazz, Latin, pop, hip hop, blues, (basically anything except hard metal. I'm not that great at prolonged double bass)

Handdrums: Congas, bongos, cajon, dejembe, tone drum(not sure of correct name)

Random auxiliary percussion,

Classical: timpani, marimba, xylophone, glockenspiel, vibraphone,

I try my best to incorporate as much as of all these different instruments into "my style" I have a small glockenspiel that I've used in conjunction with my kit or cajon. That's just my small sampling. I'm sure some of you play some pretty cool percussion stuff. Anyway I hope to hear you share!
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Default Re: Musical versatility

That's cool. There are way too many drummers that sound the same. With a plethora of music instruments and styles out there, there's no reason we all can't have a unique voice.

User Info Menu

Meh I used to be all about versatility. then i realized whats the point if im trying to play styles of music that i don't even like or plan to play in gigs. For me personally versatility is only just so i can say i have it. though i guess my niche in playing is versatility, generally i can pick up a style right off the bat and play it pretty well, not saying i'm perfect at it. Just saying that my sense of feel is something i put alot of work into and it has allowed me to pick up on styles that i normally don't play. But back to my point, versatility is something i reccomend most drummers have, but if your not gonna use it no point in putting extra emphasis on learning it. I will say this though learning others styles of music does help me to be better at my main style of music.
    DW Remo Vic Firth Zidljian

User Info Menu

My band plays primarily alternative and metal, but we tend to dabble in other genres for fun at random times, especially blues. I do pretty well playing along with anything that's thrown at me musically despite the genre it originates from so I suppose I'm pretty versatile. I've done basic work with genres I don't specialize in like jazz which seems to help me in playing basically anything.
    I don't, however, play as many percussion instruments as you do, although I'd love to. Other then my drum set the only percussion I have is bongos, a cowbell and a tambourine, all of which are fun to play around with.