Thread: Another deal or no deal?

User Info Menu

Default Another deal or no deal?

2005 Gretsch Renown Maple in cherry burst - 6 piece kit. Toms - 10, 12, 14, 16; Kick - 18x22; snare 5x14.

Gibraltar rack, hi-hat stand, and all hardware, cymbal arms, etc.

Hard cases for every drum.

Drums are in spotless condition.

$1500.

Deal or no deal?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Another deal or no deal?

A new Kit would be $1599 which is 8, 10, 12, 16 18x22 kick 6 1/2x14 snare.It has no hardware or cymbals with it. I would say if they look new and includes the hardware I would go for it. We all know the hardware will nickel and dime you to death. You are getting about $500 or so in the rack and hardware alone depending on how many pieces there are.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Hey Tex! Here's the deal I'm seeing for a brand new Gretsch Drums Renown 4-Piece Shell Pack with Free 8" tom, just so we can compare:

New Gretsch Drums Renown 4-Piece Shell Pack with Free 8" tom, (snare, stands and cymbals, not included)

total: $1,699 USD.

• 22" x 18" kick drum
    • 8" x 7" tom
    • 10" x 8" tom
    • 12" x 9" tom
    • 16" x 14" floor tom
    • (3) tom arms and clamps are included:

or

Used: 2011 Gretsch Renown 5pc shell pack:

8" x 7" tom
    10" x 8" tom
    12" x 9" tom
    14" x 14" hanging tom,
    18" x 22" bass drum:
    total: $899 USD

Used Gibraltar cuved drum rack:
    $180-$200 USD:

New Nomad 7pc drum hardcases:

$229 USD

Used hihat stand:
    $60-$100 USD

If you went with new shell pack:

New shell pack w/free 8" tom: $1,699
    New Nomad 7pc drum hardcases: $229
    Used Gibraltar rack: $200
    Used HiHat stand: $60

Grand total: (no shipping included) $2,188 USD

If you went with used shell pack:

Used 2011 Gretsch Renown 5pc kit (shell pack only, no snare) $899
    New Nomad 7pc drum hardcases: $229
    Used Gibraltar rack: $200
    Used HiHat stand: $60

Grand total: (no shipping included) $1,388

Your deal:

2005 Gretsch Renown Maple in cherry burst - 6 piece kit. Toms - 10, 12, 14, 16; Kick - 18x22; snare 5x14.

Gibraltar rack, hi-hat stand, and all hardware, cymbal arms, etc.

Hard cases for every drum.

Drums are in spotless condition.

total: $1500.
    Last edited by late8; 02-04-2013 at 07:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Generally that kit sells for around 1000-1700, so the deal or no deal falls on the rest of the package. For awhile I was seeing some pretty low prices on renowns but I guess they skyrocketed back up, so all things considered i'd jump on it. I mean, if the kit is good condish but you're getting stuff on top of that, shoot why not.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for your responses.

@Shawn - you are so right about the hardware being what adds up quickly, and, something I hate spending money on. But vital to a drummer, nonetheless.

@Late - thanks for all the research bro. Keep in mind on that new kit you are seeing, it is an exclusive color to that chain, and, not all other color schemes are priced like that. For most other 'non-premium' finishes, the 4 piece goes for about $1549ish. Plus this kit has both 14" and 16" floor toms, which adds a lot of value to it.

@Russ -thanks for your help. I talked to the guy and he said that the kit has been used exactly twice, in two studio sessions only. After that, it got pack away in the cases, inside his house, with silica gel packs. When I go see it in person, I'll be able to tell right away if it's as nice as he made it sound. I have no reason thus far to think he is dishonest. When I go look at it, he offered to set it up completely, for me to look over and play.

I think it's worth the hour drive to check it out. Unfortunately, I have to wait a few weeks, as he is going out of the country on business...today.

Thanks again for your help fellas. This site has always been extremely helpful in all aspects.

Tex out.

User Info Menu

good deal ... id do it
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

It's worth looking at definitely. Getting the 16" FT is a big part of why it's worth it. They are pricey new ($500+) and aren't around used often. Compared to getting an 8" with the new kit, the 16" floor tom is a bigger "freebie" given the initial cost.

Russ is correct, used Renowns could easily be found for like $750 a year or two ago, but recently they have gone up as the price of the new kits has risen.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Sounds like a good deal Tex hope he comes back.

User Info Menu

I'd try and talk him down to a grand..........but it isn't a bad deal at 1500

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post

@Late - thanks for all the research bro. Keep in mind on that new kit you are seeing, it is an exclusive color to that chain, and, not all other color schemes are priced like that. For most other 'non-premium' finishes, the 4 piece goes for about $1549ish. Plus this kit has both 14" and 16" floor toms, which adds a lot of value to it.
    That's right Tex, I threw the new kit price out there so we can see how the price compares to the used drum gear market. Yes, there's value with the floor toms, and yes '05 Renowns may have been used twice and put away but as Russ stated, it depends on the value of the rest of the package. Let's take away the cost of a used rack, take away the cost of a used hihat, and take away the cost of the used cases and I would venture to say you're paying about $1,000 for the '05 shell pack?

The '11 used Gretsch shell pack for $899 that I posted was in the used gear section of a big box store. I called the drum dept. at that particular location to ask a few questions concerning the model year and condition of the shells. The manager said the kit appeared to be less that two years old and one of the GTS mounting brackets had a little rust that may have been due to condensation and the 14" floor tom had no legs and needed to be hung.

Besides the fact the you like (2x) floor toms which is a "+", there is only a $100+ difference between two kits, one being 6 years older than the other. I'd ask for $1350 for the entire package and maybe go as high as $1375??

User Info Menu

Tex :

Given your information and late8's help, I say DEAL.

I love the tom sizes and the two floors.

I also love New Braunfels.

Best regards,
    Richard
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)