Thread: and the cops are at my door?...

User Info Menu

Default and the cops are at my door?...

So I will keep this short and sweet.

Sold my mapex kit with a set of cymbals.

Went to buy a replacement crash and some hats.

Bought 16" Soultone Hi hats ($75)
    and a 20" Soultone extreme crash ($125)

Holy crap what a deal right!?!?!

I paid $140 and traded in my 16" vintage zildjian to this pawn shop for these cymbals.

What a good deal, these are $300+ new a piece.

Decided to sell them because they just really did not fit on my kit, thought it would flip them and make a little because I paid so little for them.

Post on craigslist, meet with guys.
    Cops at my door.

Turns out someone stole a bunch of gear from this guy and I had purchased it.

Luckily I returned them to the shop, got my money back, and hopefully gave him a stronger case.

Turns out the cymbals I bought, a 22" k light ride, a 10 lug ludwig, cymbal hardcase, and his stickbag were all stolen and at the same shop.

Luckily him and I got along and he was incredible appreciative.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Default Re: and the cops are at my door?...

thats crazy... just reaffirms the "too good to be true" saying.

glad you got off easy!
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    thats crazy... just reaffirms the "too good to be true" saying.

glad you got off easy!
    Yeah, I've gotten better deals before but man, today was funny.

Me and the drummer actually got to be somewhat friend like. He felt bad for me and wasn't going to try to get the cymbals back that I bought, and I felt bad for him and brought them back to try to help his case in his police report.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Yeah, I've gotten better deals before but man, today was funny.

Me and the drummer actually got to be somewhat friend like. He felt bad for me and wasn't going to try to get the cymbals back that I bought, and I felt bad for him and brought them back to try to help his case in his police report.
    That's awesome you done that and I would hope others would do the same.Glad you got your money back,most people don't if the items are stolen.
    Back before Christmas I was working ( I drive a crazy Taxi) and I found a wallet full of $20 bills. I turned it in at the end of my shift and counted it with the dispatcher and there was $405 in the wallet with credit cards and everything else to steal an identity. The guy called about an hour after the money was dropped in the safe at work so he had to wait a few days but he was glad to get the wallet back and surprised to get his cash back also.I could of just taken the money,threw the wallet out the window,but I would be feeling really bad and guilty that I would just own up to it if I would of done that.Money was tight at the time for me since it was a few days before Christmas,but that guy may have had a family and kids to buy for and I felt better returning all of it. He left a $20 tip,which was ok,he didn't have to leave anything for a tip.A simple thanks is enough.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

This is one of the reasons why I stay away from Pawn Shops and have mentioned this many times on this forum. Most drummers here support those shops and I don't and never will. You were lucky to get out of that mess. Lesson learned and hope others see it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    This is one of the reasons why I stay away from Pawn Shops and have mentioned this many times on this forum. Most drummers here support those shops and I don't and never will. You were lucky to get out of that mess. Lesson learned and hope others see it.
    I don't know, because if I didn't buy it then he may have never seen his stuff again.

He had about $1500-$2000 worth of his stuff at the pawn shop and had just given up on ever seeing any of it again.

I would say the #1 thing is always keep receipts if you buy from a pawn shop. It is a legal purchase and as long as you can prove that you rightfully purchased it then you will be okay.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Why was he lucky? Just because the cops came to his door doesn't mean he was the one they were after.

You're more likely to get ripped off by a seller on craigslist than someone at a pawn shop.

Most pawn shops have legal "procedures" they have to adhere to when purchasing used stuff like that. It wasn't the pawn shops fault that they got stolen equipment. They weren't doing anything "Shady" by selling it to OP. Most places dealing with used gear, whether it's a pawn shop or even a music store, have to obtain a picture ID and other personal info when they "take in" used gear like these cymbals. This way it can be traced back to the seller/trader if reported stolen.

Not sure what the laws are there...but here in PHX, that's how it works.

I've also been on all ends - where I provided an ID when selling some used stuff I had, where I purchased used gear that was stolen (by accident) and where the music store I taught at got "audited" by the Police department...making sure all the used gear we had had photo ID's on file from all the sellers.
    Last edited by EddieV; 02-05-2013 at 05:30 PM.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

EddieV: "....where I purchased used gear that was stolen (by accident)..."
    You mean it was stolen and you bought it not knowing? Otherwise, how is something stolen by accident?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    EddieV: "....where I purchased used gear that was stolen (by accident)..."
    You mean it was stolen and you bought it not knowing? Otherwise, how is something stolen by accident?
    Someone came into the store and wanted to sell us his YAMAHA stage kit straight up. We offered him "x" amount of cash for it and he accepted it.

We photocopied his ID, got his information from him, filed it.

Sometime later (several months) the kit was still there and hadn't been sold. One day a detective came in, said..."that kit was reported stolen".

Sure enough....it was. Apparently the individual that reported it stolen saw it in the store, never said anything to us, and called the Police.

The Police verified it, then made us give the kit back to the original owner. The police then took the information that we had an went after the individual that sold it to us.

I'm not sure if the store owner ever got his money back. It wasn't long after that the store closed. This was back in '08 when the economy was spiraling everyone down into the tank.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
    That's awesome you done that and I would hope others would do the same.Glad you got your money back,most people don't if the items are stolen.
    Back before Christmas I was working ( I drive a crazy Taxi) and I found a wallet full of $20 bills. I turned it in at the end of my shift and counted it with the dispatcher and there was $405 in the wallet with credit cards and everything else to steal an identity. The guy called about an hour after the money was dropped in the safe at work so he had to wait a few days but he was glad to get the wallet back and surprised to get his cash back also.I could of just taken the money,threw the wallet out the window,but I would be feeling really bad and guilty that I would just own up to it if I would of done that.Money was tight at the time for me since it was a few days before Christmas,but that guy may have had a family and kids to buy for and I felt better returning all of it. He left a $20 tip,which was ok,he didn't have to leave anything for a tip.A simple thanks is enough.

Shawn, you 're a good man! Makes me feel good to know there's honest people left in this world!

Take care!
    Last edited by jgraham798; 02-05-2013 at 06:21 PM.
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Sure enough....it was. Apparently the individual that reported it stolen saw it in the store, never said anything to us, and called the Police
    This is exactly what happened. He saw it on craigslist. Met with me as if he wanted to buy them so he could check them out and see if they were his, then after that the cops showed up.

Luckily as Eddie said, Pawn shops are required to go through a bit to buy items. They practically copy the sellers drivers license, and make you sign a legal agreement the verify that you own the property.

These things can happen at any "buy, sell, trade" type of store, however craigslist has no paper trail so it is probably smarter to shop pawn shops. But as we all know a deal is a deal and as long as nothing illegal comes from one of our ends then you are safe.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Eddie V I have read all of your replies on this subject. You say you took photo ids etc and you still unaware bought a stolen kit. It shows right there that it still can happen even when you do the right things. You never said if they ever caught the guy that sold you the stolen kit even though you had all the info on the thief.

As for the person who called the cops did the right thing he saw the stolen kit and why would he approach the store and tell you that. Doesn't make sense at all. He probably thought this was a crooked store selling stolen goods and did his duty to report it.

User Info Menu

Pawn shops can do more good than harm. Police know to go look there for stolen items.

Even if the shop buys stolen items, they take down the seller's info and can relay it to Police, then go knock on their door and make an arrest (hopefully). Much easier to track down than direct transactions without a store.
    DW Performance Series
    Peavey Radial Pro RBS-1
    Roland TDW-20

Gibraltar rack system
    Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/Vault
    Tama pedals

User Info Menu

Not all Pawnshops take the info from the seller. Drug addicts, drunks just walk in and take whatever they can for the goods no questions asked. I don't say that they are all dishonest but a lot are until the are caught then they do it legally. I've seen and heard of it a lot maybe things have changed over the years but I still stay away from them or Craiglists.

User Info Menu

That showed some good character on your part. I hope that there's some good karma coming your way.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Eddie V I have read all of your replies on this subject. You say you took photo ids etc and you still unaware bought a stolen kit. It shows right there that it still can happen even when you do the right things. You never said if they ever caught the guy that sold you the stolen kit even though you had all the info on the thief.
    The Police Detectives told us to stay out of the ordeal, ordered us to NOT contact the individual, and to let them do their thing. FWIW....I texted the previous owner of the Music store last night. He DID get his money back, but it took almost a year.

As for the person who called the cops did the right thing he saw the stolen kit and why would he approach the store and tell you that. Doesn't make sense at all. He probably thought this was a crooked store selling stolen goods and did his duty to report it.
    He didn't think it was a crooked store. He was actually a nice guy. He did what the detectives told him to do when he reported it stolen. He was hoping that it would end up in a store somewhere, whether a pawn shop or music store. He had done some looking around at many shops and stores, was very proactive and thorough..and found his kit. He was very grateful to us for obtaining the information as we had been required even though it didn't make a difference to him.

Bottom line was all the monkey business and hassle the store went through wasn't worth it, and was actually expensive. Even if the store had intentionally tried to sell a knowingly stolen kit. Why would the store knowing display a stolen kit in the window for all to see? If you're gong to deal in stolen goods...you are going to do it out the back door. Not the sales floor or showroom.

Here's why I got involved in this thread:

You wrote that you STAY AWAY from Pawn shops because of the OP's experience with what turned out to be stolen property.

Your post implied that you may believe PAWN SHOPS have a reputation for (knowingly) dealing with stolen goods.

My point was that Pawn shops, Music stores and other retail exchange places have certain legal procedures that they are required to go through when purchasing used equipment, and most do their due diligence regarding this simply to AVOID the loss of revenue and the hassle in the case that the equipment turns out to be stolen.

You RARELY have this background work or paper trail when you buy of of Craigslist, Ebay or even a simple Classified Ad or Sales flyer on a telephone pole. All things considered...There's more KNOWINGLY stolen goods sold there then there are in a Pawn shop.

I would PREFER to buy used equipment at a Pawn shop over Craigslist, Ebay or a Classified ad from an individual. Simply for the reasons stated above... Any Day.

Last edited by EddieV; 02-06-2013 at 01:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for explaining EddieV appreciate it but my opinion on Pawn Shops as not changed. The reason I say this is because I personaly know some guys that have shops and they are crooked and have a bad reputation for selling stolen goods. These guys where from my area and they where thieves as teenagers and some did time for it but it has not changed them. Sorry but I am sure that there are some honest ones there but until I meet , see or deal with one then I will change my views on this.

User Info Menu

I know that when I bought a used cymbal at GC once, I had to wait for the 10 day hot hold to expire on it before I could pick it up. It's unfortunate, but even if a legit store does all their due diligence, something might still slip through from time to time.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Thanks for explaining EddieV appreciate it but my opinion on Pawn Shops as not changed. The reason I say this is because I personaly know some guys that have shops and they are crooked and have a bad reputation for selling stolen goods. These guys where from my area and they where thieves as teenagers and some did time for it but it has not changed them. Sorry but I am sure that there are some honest ones there but until I meet , see or deal with one then I will change my views on this.
    I can understand your reservations.......completely.

Another dynamic that I have (to offer) is that I've been on the other side of the prejudices that "shady business" characters often propagate.

Over the years I've worked for an Insurance Company, an Auto Dealership, a Loan Office, and of course ..many years as a working/gigging musician. I've led the straight and narrow my whole life, never scrood-over anyone, and yet I've had to deal with people who treated me inferiorly simply because of the small percentage of others in the same industry that have.

I guess my point is....unless you have a direct personal reason to have reservations against someone, within a reasonably intelligent (and fair) suspicion....don't.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I can understand your reservations.......completely.

Another dynamic that I have (to offer) is that I've been on the other side of the prejudices that "shady business" characters often propagate.

Over the years I've worked for an Insurance Company, an Auto Dealership, a Loan Office, and of course ..many years as a working/gigging musician. I've led the straight and narrow my whole life, never scrood-over anyone, and yet I've had to deal with people who treated me inferiorly simply because of the small percentage of others in the same industry that have.

I guess my point is....unless you have a direct personal reason to have reservations against someone, within a reasonably intelligent (and fair) suspicion....don't.

Cheers.
    Well said.

User Info Menu

Still does not change my opinion LOL